Default Mixing used oil with fuel in Cummins diesels

I just read a directive from Cummins stating it was OK to mix your
used oil up to 5% in your fuel in their non-electronic engines. This
is to dispose of the oil in an environmentally responsible fashion,
sincrease lubricity, save fuel and it's a convenient way to get rid of
it, especially while cruising. I have dual bypass oil filters, so I
figure the stuff should be pretty clean and then the BIG dual Racors
should filter out anything smaller that 2 microns. I analyze the oil
at every change so if aything weird is in there i know about it, Why
not?

Tim Tim is offline

On Mar 26, 8:33 pm, Dave wrote:
On 26 Mar 2007 17:42:45 -0700, "Messing In Boats" said:

Why
not?

Maybe because with the amount of diesel most of us sailors burn it just
ain't worth the effort.

a friend of mine has a '05 Dodge cummins diesel, and he strains his
used motor oil and mix's it up to 15% and has had no problems that I
have known of. he told me that he can go over that, but the exhaust
gets "smokey"

On Mar 26, 10:39 pm, "Tim" wrote:
On Mar 26, 8:33 pm, Dave wrote:

On 26 Mar 2007 17:42:45 -0700, "Messing In Boats" said:

Why
not?

Maybe because with the amount of diesel most of us sailors burn it just
ain't worth the effort.

a friend of mine has a '05 Dodge cummins diesel, and he strains his
used motor oil and mix's it up to 15% and has had no problems that I
have known of. he told me that he can go over that, but the exhaust
gets "smokey"

I posed just this question (albeit not WRT Cummins) recently in both
this and other forums/mailing lists, etc; I have a fuel polishing
system which would be a piece of cake to Tee with a valve to the sump
line I use to suck out the oil and run it through the polisher on the
way to the tank.

Do a bit of archive-looking in this and Seven Seas Crusing Association
forums (ssca.org) and the sailnet morgan and other lists with me as
the author.

Way too many responses to try to duplicate here, but the scholarly
response (ignoring the usual opinions of those who haven't tried it,
and have no scientific background to fall back on) was that the acids
won't be happy, the particulate/heavy stuff will coke out on your
exhaust, and other reasons not to do it (marine being different than
truckers and perhaps heavy power boaters).

Other respondents cited friends and a couple of direct experiences
which said they'd been happy, and one even provided several links to
military directives to do just that. However, as none were
sailboaters with minimal use and lower exhaust temps, my election was
not to do it, as much as it's a nuisance to recycle the oil.

HTH

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2 Disaster link: http://ipphotos.com/FlyingPig.asp
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
Follow us at http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog and/or

There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its
hands.

You seek problems because you need their gifts.

Skip,

Was the [assumed reliable] information you gathered with respect to big
over-the-road diesels, that...it's OK to burn the spent oil ?

If yes, in what proportions gas:spent-oil ?

Thanks,

Courtney

"Skip Gundlach" wrote in message
oups.com...

said:

[...]

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 08:32:22 -0500, "Courtney Thomas"
wrote:

Was the [assumed reliable] information you gathered with respect to big
over-the-road diesels, that...it's OK to burn the spent oil ?

If yes, in what proportions gas:spent-oil ?

I'm told that big fleet users do this all the time. The correct
proportion is 20 gallons or more of diesel to 1 gallon of waste oil.
Ideally the waste oil should be filtered before mixing but if you have
a big set of Racors installed that is probably sufficient.

Friends of ours have a long range cruiser which has an oil recyling
system built in.

Another possibility is using it for home heating oil. My old auto
mechanic back in the northeast does that, just pours it into the tank.

Wayne.B inscribed in red ink for all to know:
wrote:

Was the [assumed reliable] information you gathered with respect to big
over-the-road diesels, that...it's OK to burn the spent oil ?

If yes, in what proportions gas:spent-oil ?

I'm told that big fleet users do this all the time. The correct
proportion is 20 gallons or more of diesel to 1 gallon of waste oil.
Ideally the waste oil should be filtered before mixing but if you have
a big set of Racors installed that is probably sufficient.

Friends of ours have a long range cruiser which has an oil recyling
system built in.

Another possibility is using it for home heating oil. My old auto
mechanic back in the northeast does that, just pours it into the tank.

I've dumped it into the home heating oil tank, but I had trouble with
blocking off the filter on the furnace. I think it would work just fine
if it was filtered before adding.

bob
s/v Eolian
Seattle

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 08:16:54 -0700, RW Salnick
wrote:

I've dumped it into the home heating oil tank, but I had trouble with
blocking off the filter on the furnace. I think it would work just fine
if it was filtered before adding.

What was your dilution ratio?

wrote:

I've dumped it into the home heating oil tank, but I had trouble with
blocking off the filter on the furnace. I think it would work just fine
if it was filtered before adding.

What was your dilution ratio?

Well, the tank was probably half full when I dumped in the results of an
oil change - so say 1:150

bob
s/v Eolian
Seattle

wrote:

Was the [assumed reliable] information you gathered with respect to big
over-the-road diesels, that...it's OK to burn the spent oil ?

If yes, in what proportions gas:spent-oil ?

I'm told that big fleet users do this all the time. The correct
proportion is 20 gallons or more of diesel to 1 gallon of waste oil.
Ideally the waste oil should be filtered before mixing but if you have
a big set of Racors installed that is probably sufficient.

Friends of ours have a long range cruiser which has an oil recyling
system built in.

Another possibility is using it for home heating oil. My old auto
mechanic back in the northeast does that, just pours it into the tank.

It works like a charm if you don't mind loading the neighbourhood with
toxic waste products from the various heavy metals found in the engine
oil additives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lubricant
"Burning the lubricant as fuel, typically to generate electricity,
is also governed by regulations mainly on account of the
relatively high level of additives present. Burning generates both
airborne pollutants and ash rich in toxic materials, mainly heavy
metal compounds. Thus lubricant burning takes place in specialized
facilities that have incorporated special scrubbers to remove
airborne pollutants and have access to landfill sites with permits
to handle the toxic ash."

I know that the use of engine oil for home heating is illegal in some
parts of the world.

Eric Stevens

Gasoline prices.............. JimH General 137 January 23rd 07 09:14 AM
Let there be heat! Gould 0738 General 4 November 29th 04 01:41 AM
Diesel Fuel Decontamination Units Give Stored Fuel Longer Life. John T. Nightingale General 6 February 20th 04 02:28 PM
Diesel Fuel Decontamination Units Give Stored Fuel Longer Life. John T. Nightingale Boat Building 7 February 19th 04 08:00 PM
ANNOUNCEMENT: Diesel Fuel Decontamination Units Give Stored Fuel Longer Life. John T. Nightingale Marketplace 0 February 19th 04 04:48 PM