LOP LOP is offline

Default 1992 70HP Johnson Oil Mixing

I finally gave up on this engine smoking. I could not get the oil injection
system to function correctly.
So I have pinched off the oil supply line and am now mixing the oil with the
gas. At present I am using a 50 : 1 ratio but there is still a little smoke.
The engine is on a 24 foot patio boat and is rarely running above 2000rpm.Do
you think that it is safe to go to a 100 : 1 mix?

Thanks, Don and Liz

Member

"LOP" wrote in message
I finally gave up on this engine smoking. I could not get the oil injection
system to function correctly.
So I have pinched off the oil supply line and am now mixing the oil with
the gas. At present I am using a 50 : 1 ratio but there is still a little
smoke. The engine is on a 24 foot patio boat and is rarely running above
2000rpm.Do you think that it is safe to go to a 100 : 1 mix?

Thanks,

The following link has an explanation and a cutaway of the oil injection
system along with the true story dispelling the "urban legends" about it.

The oil injection system operates the way it should if there are no air
leaks in the fuel system or any restrictions. All the tests and procedures
are in the late model service manuals.

Bill Grannis
service manager

Older technology 2 strokes do smoke a little. Stay with the 50 to 1 mix.
Use a better oil, such as the Evinrude Johnson XD 50. Make sure the engine
also has the right propeller on it so the engine comes as close to mid
operating range as possible.

Ron

"LOP" wrote in message
I finally gave up on this engine smoking. I could not get the oil injection
system to function correctly.
So I have pinched off the oil supply line and am now mixing the oil with
the gas. At present I am using a 50 : 1 ratio but there is still a little
smoke. The engine is on a 24 foot patio boat and is rarely running above
2000rpm.Do you think that it is safe to go to a 100 : 1 mix?

Thanks, Don and Liz

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Member

"Billgran" wrote in message

The following link has an explanation and a cutaway of the oil injection
system along with the true story dispelling the "urban legends" about it.

Damn! I must be getting old, I forgot to add the link to the previous post.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/VRO.html

Bill Grannis
service manager

"Billgran" wrote in message

"LOP" wrote in message
I finally gave up on this engine smoking. I could not get the oil
injection system to function correctly.
So I have pinched off the oil supply line and am now mixing the oil with
the gas. At present I am using a 50 : 1 ratio but there is still a little
smoke. The engine is on a 24 foot patio boat and is rarely running above
2000rpm.Do you think that it is safe to go to a 100 : 1 mix?

Thanks,

The following link has an explanation and a cutaway of the oil injection
system along with the true story dispelling the "urban legends" about it.

The oil injection system operates the way it should if there are no air
leaks in the fuel system or any restrictions. All the tests and procedures
are in the late model service manuals.

Bill Grannis
service manager

It's a half-assed system (VRO) an not worth the risk to run.

Best to use Amsoil and run at 100-1

Johnson & Evinrude V6 engines - Gasket Set GMails Boat Building 0 December 27th 05 02:07 PM
77 johnson 70HP, replacing power pack, which coils? QWERTY General 2 September 26th 04 01:29 AM
Johnson 70hp won't start doug General 0 July 20th 04 01:16 PM
1978 70HP Johnson runs cruddy. help? Jeff Rigby General 1 May 22nd 04 12:42 PM
Only Slightly OT Jim General 1 November 19th 03 05:18 AM