posted to rec.boats.building
mmc mmc is offline

Default the pancake skiff - episode 1

"DougC" wrote in message
news
On 7/31/2010 8:46 PM, mmc wrote:
http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/boa/1874022332.html
Some great deals out there..........

The price is right, but the floor isn't flat... -and how well does it row?

The engine is an "extra" for me. It'd be nice to have if I needed it, but
don't think I'd use it much of the time. I don't want to listen to the
noise of an engine all the time I'm moving.
~

Not my boat.
Looks like the hull is flat bottomed which would lead to a flat floor.
A flat bottom boat isn't going to track well when rowing, better off with a
shallow v.

posted to rec.boats.building

On 8/2/2010 3:29 PM, mmc wrote:
wrote in message
news
On 7/31/2010 8:46 PM, mmc wrote:
http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/boa/1874022332.html
Some great deals out there..........

The price is right, but the floor isn't flat... -and how well does it row?

The engine is an "extra" for me. It'd be nice to have if I needed it, but
don't think I'd use it much of the time. I don't want to listen to the
noise of an engine all the time I'm moving.
~

Not my boat.
Looks like the hull is flat bottomed which would lead to a flat floor.
A flat bottom boat isn't going to track well when rowing, better off with a
shallow v.

Well okay, let me elaborate: I wand an "open" floor.

Boats like that always have seats extending across that (I'd bet) are
structural pieces.

I think in three days I've had three different ideas about what would be
perfect.... :/
~
posted to rec.boats.building
mmc mmc is offline

"DougC" wrote in message
On 8/2/2010 3:29 PM, mmc wrote:
wrote in message
news
On 7/31/2010 8:46 PM, mmc wrote:
[...]

How will you brace your hull if not ribs or seats?

posted to rec.boats.building
mmc mmc is offline

"DougC" wrote in message
On 8/2/2010 3:29 PM, mmc wrote:
wrote in message
news
On 7/31/2010 8:46 PM, mmc wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the Freeship link. Very cool.

On 8/2/2010 7:17 PM, mmc wrote:
wrote in message
On 8/2/2010 3:29 PM, mmc wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

What I like the idea of is covering the hull inside-bottom mostly with a
floor that is raised a couple inches above the water level of a typical
load. Then you can install drains/plugs in the sides of the boat right
at the floor level, and in a bad weather situation (with the plugs
removed) the boat becomes self-bailing.

~

posted to rec.boats.building

In article m,
says...

"DougC" wrote in message
news
On 7/31/2010 8:46 PM, mmc wrote:
http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/boa/1874022332.html
Some great deals out there..........

The price is right, but the floor isn't flat... -and how well does it row?

The engine is an "extra" for me. It'd be nice to have if I needed it, but
don't think I'd use it much of the time. I don't want to listen to the
noise of an engine all the time I'm moving.
~

Not my boat.
Looks like the hull is flat bottomed which would lead to a flat floor.
A flat bottom boat isn't going to track well when rowing, better off with a
shallow v.

Or a couple of nice skegs...

--
Rowdy Mouse Racing - We race for cheese!
posted to rec.boats.building

On 8/3/2010 8:58 AM, I am Tosk wrote:
In ting.com,
says...

wrote in message
news
On 7/31/2010 8:46 PM, mmc wrote:
http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/boa/1874022332.html
Some great deals out there..........

The price is right, but the floor isn't flat... -and how well does it row?

The engine is an "extra" for me. It'd be nice to have if I needed it, but
don't think I'd use it much of the time. I don't want to listen to the
noise of an engine all the time I'm moving.
~

Not my boat.
Looks like the hull is flat bottomed which would lead to a flat floor.
A flat bottom boat isn't going to track well when rowing, better off with a
shallow v.

Or a couple of nice skegs...

Where I live the lakes tend to have large shallow areas. This boat would
need to be able to float in 3 inches of water with a typical load in it
(~300 lbs, not including the boat).

What I was thinking was to make a bottom that was nearly flat, and then
have a removable skeg that hangs off the transom, like a rudder. That
would be a lot easier to make than the retractable skegs that sea kayaks
have. I wouldn't need the skeg all the time, since you don't need it in
three inches of water anyway.

--------

I bought a kayak a while back. The kayak is great in some ways, but
not-so-much in others. I have no plans to get rid of it, but I am
desiring an alternate for certain situations.

The reason I considered building a boat at all is because I can't find
anything already made that would do what I wanted.
~
posted to rec.boats.building
mmc mmc is offline

"I am Tosk" wrote in message
In article m,
says...

"DougC" wrote in message
news
On 7/31/2010 8:46 PM, mmc wrote:
http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/boa/1874022332.html
Some great deals out there..........

The price is right, but the floor isn't flat... -and how well does it
row?

The engine is an "extra" for me. It'd be nice to have if I needed it,
but
don't think I'd use it much of the time. I don't want to listen to the
noise of an engine all the time I'm moving.
~

Not my boat.
Looks like the hull is flat bottomed which would lead to a flat floor.
A flat bottom boat isn't going to track well when rowing, better off with
shallow v.

Or a couple of nice skegs...

--
Rowdy Mouse Racing - We race for cheese!

Doug, you talked to Scotty (Tosk)? He's a pro at this stuff!

posted to rec.boats.building

Looking at your drawing my guess is tha the flat bottom will create a
lot of bow steer and the transom will create a lot of drag. Curve the
bottom so that the stem is above the WL and the transom is right at
the DWL and I think you have a winner.
posted to rec.boats.building

What I like the idea of is covering the hull inside-bottom mostly with
floor that is raised a couple inches above the water level of a
typical
load. Then you can install drains/plugs in the sides of the boat
right
at the floor level, and in a bad weather situation (with the plugs
removed) the boat becomes self-bailing.

Sort of like a Water-Letter-Outer?

If it was self bailing why would you have the plugs in the first
place?