posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default So, once again, what is the best trailerable daysailor/overnighter?

I know this stuff has been covered over and over, but please refresh
my memory about what might be the "best" 18-23' trailerable (read
swing keel/centerboard) boat. When I sell my beloved cruiser and
return home for a couple of years of rebuilding, I'm going to need
something to satisfy the occasional sailing jones.
Needs to be something built well, sail reasonably well, be reasonably
easy to rig, and have some kind of cuddy cabin two people could camp
out in for an overnight if desired, Oh, and be under 10K, 5K would be
better, including trailer. Not looking for a new boat obviously.
Some boats off the top of my head- Catalina 22, Santana?, Hunter,
Oday, etc. Anyone ever do research to determine what might be a good
one to zero in on?
Don't worry, I don't expect any serious answers, but will be
pleasantly surprised to get a few!

Best,

Mike
posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 16:34:58 -0700 (PDT), cruisin
wrote:

[...]

Oday Mariner fits that description pretty closely. It's a Rhodes 19
hull with a small cabin. They were made with either a keel or a
weighted centerboard. Because they were so popular and made for so
manty years, you can get replacement parts easily, and for
comparitively reasonable prices. They sail well.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Take a look at a Merit 28. Lead drop keel, plenty of sail area,
spartin but nice layout down below.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Oct 11, 1:28�am, Ringmaster wrote:
Take a look at a Merit 28. �Lead drop keel, plenty of sail area,
spartin but nice layout down below.

I'm sorry. I ment to say 22. I've always wanted a 28.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Ignore all of the bad tips from folks like Dongmaster, AKA Slowco.

Look at the Com-Pac website:

http://www.com-pacyachts.com/trailer...mpac-23iv.html

This is a good starting point for looking at what might suit you. Then
go to yachtworld and look at older models that are in your price
range...such as the nice 23...

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1981.../United-States

These are reasonably well built and sail well along with having cabins
that are very functional. There are other good boats along these
lines, but this is a great place to start.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1981.../United-States

Good luck,

RB

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Oct 11, 10:46*pm, "Capt. Rob" wrote:
These are reasonably well built and sail well along with having cabins
that are very functional. There are other good boats along these
lines, but this is a great place to start.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1981...994/Satellite-...

Good luck,

RB

Thanks for the suggestions, all. It's good to see there are some good
options out there besides Catalinas. The Merit 23 looks like the most
fun, and pretty light=easy to haul on the trailer. The O'Day looks
good as well, easiest to trailer due to her length, great big cockpit,
and good replacement part availability. The Compac would be very
comfortable for staying aboard and maybe easiest to rig with the
tabernacle.
It'll be fun to get into some serious research when I get home, and a
good excuse to do some traveling around to look at boats. Keep 'em
coming, if anybody else has any good suggestions...

Best,

Mike
posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Oct 12, 8:23*am, ladysailor wrote:
[...]

Sharing a computer sucks! She broke hers playing too many games...

Mike
posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote:
I know this stuff has been covered over and over, but please refresh
my memory about what might be the "best" 18-23' trailerable (read
swing keel/centerboard) boat. *When I sell my beloved cruiser and
return home for a couple of years of rebuilding, I'm going to need
something to satisfy the occasional sailing jones.

Glad to hear you're not planning to 'swallow the hook' entirely.....

Needs to be something built well, sail reasonably well, be reasonably
easy to rig, and have some kind of cuddy cabin two people could camp
out in for an overnight if desired, *Oh, and be under 10K, 5K would be
better, including trailer. *

Huge variety of possible answers. It really depends on how much weight
you want to trailer, and how much work you're willing to do rigging/
launching.

Some boats off the top of my head- Catalina 22, Santana?, Hunter,
Oday, etc. *Anyone ever do research to determine what might be a good
one to zero in on?
Don't worry, I don't expect any serious answers, but will be
pleasantly surprised to get a few!

Define "serious."

There are at least several thousand types of boats answering your
description. The Catalina 22 is probably the best known, their best
quality is that they're well-known and easy to resell. There is also a
serious group of one-design racers in this boat. But it's heavy for
it's size, sits very high on the trailer, and is generally a lot of
work and PITA to rig & launch & recover. Not surprising since it was
designed long before any modern conveniences were applied to this type
boat.

The S2 6.7 and 6.9 are drop-keel (ballasted daggerboard) trailerables
that are quite well built and will sail rings around the Catalina 22.

Precision 18 and 21 are keel-centerboard boats, also very well built,
more modernistic-looking. Sirius, Spindrift & Starwind are no longer
in production but they built some nice trailerables.

There's literally tens of thousands of boats like this
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=1813944
which built in small numbers by small companies... sometimes just one
guy who had the dream to be a boatbuilder... which are pretty good
designs and available for very little. The problem is to evaluate how
practical they would be in everyday use - for example, I mentioned the
flaw of sitting high off the ground on the trailer, which is a problem
for two reasons. It takes a steeper pitched ramp to launch them,
possibly a tongue extension (big PITA) and they also are more
difficult to get aboard & work on while on the trailer (and more
dangerous if you fall). Then there's the issue of rigging the boat...
raising/lowering the mast can be arduous & hazardous... I personally
know a lot of people who have blown out disks or otherwise injured
themselves doing this.

Loco mentioned the Merit 22
http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/6866

Interesting article from long ago, evaluating the San Juan 23, Merit
22, Sirius 22, Tanzer 22, and Starwind 223
http://www.widgetsailor.com/sbjourna...als86/st1.html

I picked a Santana 23, a late-1970s MORC racer with a daggerboard.
It's a fun boat, but the rig is very tall & twangy for everyday
trailering... if you can leave it rigged up at a club or marina, like
we do, it's as practical as anything and a great performing boat.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...35692614YSMXSu

Here's a great resource, most of these folks love the trailer-sailing
life.
http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/...ilor/index.cgi

Hope this helps, glad to hear from you again Mike!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"cruisin" wrote in message
On Oct 12, 8:23 am, ladysailor wrote:
On Oct 11, 10:46 pm, "Capt. Rob" wrote:

These are reasonably well built and sail well along with having cabins
that are very functional. There are other good boats along these
lines, but this is a great place to start.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1981...994/Satellite-...

Good luck,

RB

Thanks for the suggestions, all. It's good to see there are some good
options out there besides Catalinas. The Merit 23 looks like the most
fun, and pretty light=easy to haul on the trailer. The O'Day looks
good as well, easiest to trailer due to her length, great big cockpit,
and good replacement part availability. The Compac would be very
comfortable for staying aboard and maybe easiest to rig with the
tabernacle.
It'll be fun to get into some serious research when I get home, and a
good excuse to do some traveling around to look at boats. Keep 'em
coming, if anybody else has any good suggestions...

Best,

Mike

| Sharing a computer sucks! She broke hers playing too many games...
|
| Mike

That's what Michael Schoonertrash said about her, too. Too many games - but
he never mentioned computers.

Wilbur Hubbard

Trailerable Cruisers tt Cruising 17 January 31st 07 12:25 PM
Trailerable Trimarans Dan ASA 6 October 18th 05 06:54 PM
WTB: Small daysailer/overnighter w/trailer in Florida sandy Marketplace 0 October 1st 05 11:26 AM
New Motor for 1992 Grady White Overnighter. jack General 4 July 29th 05 05:35 PM
Best Daysailor Bobsprit ASA 19 November 24th 03 09:07 PM