Bobsprit

Default Best Daysailor

My friend sold his Cape Dory Typhoon and now seeks a capable daysailor with a
lot of room. Here are his needs/limitations:

Must be under 20 LOA
Must seat 4 adults
Must be ballasted and stable
Must have a good turn of speed
Must be around 4K.

Rhodes 19? And what else?

RB

Thom Stewart

Sounds like he should be looking at the
O-Day Day Sailer.
I like the Stuart Knock-about. If I was back East I think I would
finish my sailing day in a Knock-about but out here you need something
to protect you from the weather.

Has he looked into the Soling? The Snipe? Even the Penquin? Lightning?
The Star (With a Conn. Rig)

OT

DSK

Thom Stewart wrote:

Sounds like he should be looking at the
O-Day Day Sailer.

Nice boat, practical, a bit pokey IMHO.

I like the Stuart Knock-about. If I was back East I think I would
finish my sailing day in a Knock-about but out here you need something
to protect you from the weather.

Has he looked into the Soling? The Snipe? Even the Penquin? Lightning?
The Star (With a Conn. Rig)

What might be considered a good boat would depend on the circumstances. Is
it to be trailered often? Ramp launched? Kept at a club or other facility
with mast raised? Kept in the water? How many people to take along, and
how much provisions?

For strictly learning to sail, I favor smaller flightier boats. You're
less distracted by social niceties and given a lot of instant feedback. A
420 or Lark or Coronado 15 or or Tasar, one of the newer boats I like a
lot is the Capri 16.5 and of course the Johnson 18.

A Lightning might be too much for a beginner but is a great daysailer/camp
cruiser/class racer. The biggest drawback is the complex rig. A Star with
a cut-down rig would be a lot of fun too, but they are quite small in
terms of capacity, smaller cockpit & less stowage than a Lightning even
though they are keelboats & several feet longer overall.

The tool should be suited to it's use.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Bobsprit

What might be considered a good boat would depend on the circumstances. Is
it to be trailered often? Ramp launched? Kept at a club or other facility
with mast raised? Kept in the water? How many people to take along, and
how much provisions?

Boat is for an experienced sailor. Previous owner of a CD Typhoon. Boat needs
to be ballasted and have room for 4 or more. Good performance favored.
Something around the 2-4K mark, like the Typhoon. Boat would be moored.

RB

Bobsprit

Something around the 2-4K mark, like the Typhoon. Boat would be moored.

RB

Why didn't they just keep the typhoon?

That's a damn good question. Selling my Pearson 30 was also a mistake. Both the
Typhoon and P30 were sold due to marriages and imagined time contraints that
never came to pass.
But a boat more suited for the light air on the sound would probably suit my
friend better.

RB
Bobsprit

Slower, but nice to look at are the Marshall Catboats. You can usually
find those for good prices. The traditional looks might appeal to a
former typhoon owner.

How right you are. He's dying for a Catboat, the 19s tend to be 15K for a nice
one. Very pretty boats. I was able to sail one this year and I could see the
appeal, especially for it's size. I especially like the Menger with the
gaff/sloop rig. Not cheap though.
The Rhodes 19 may be the way to go. Are the centerboard models ballasted? Will
they ride a mooring safely?

RB
DSK

(Bobsprit) wrote:
Something around the 2-4K mark, like the Typhoon. Boat would be moored.

I didn't realize this thread originated as more Bubbles nuttery. Oh well, I already
put my foot in it.

wrote:
For strictly daysailing with 4 adults, the Rhodes 19 is probably as
good a choice as any in that price range.

Not a bad call, I'd like Rhodes too. But a Highlander will sail rings around a
Rhodes 19 and has a roomier cockpit. Not as much stowage though, and probably not as
traditional looking to most eyes (although I myself think the Highlander is a
handsome boat, both better looking & faster than it's younger sister the Flying
Scot). Another possibility is an old one design called the Raven. If you really like
traditional looks, hunt for a Celebrity.

The idea for a catboat is a good one. They are really stable, and not necessarily
dull in light air (but that leaves you reefing the huge gaff main when it blows).
The issue with catboats, and gaffers to boot, is that they have some handling quirks
and take some getting used to.

Here's a thought-
http://www.boats.com/listing/boat_de...ityid=11284451

Almost like a mini-Shields. You ain't gonna find no Shields for under $5K though.

How about this, it's even in his neighborhood.
http://www.boats.com/listing/boat_de...tityid=9897391

A bit modern looking but these are good sailing boats and very well built.

Another suggestion I have is the Hunter 19. It is stable and comfortable, the
cockpit easily holds 4 and you get the bonus of a relatively comfy cabin. If I were
to leave on in the water, I'd consider either painting the inside of the ballast
tank or else fiberglassing over the valve and installing lead ballast. Problem- you
have to go a bit higher than $2K ~ $4K to get one.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Bobsprit

Thanks for the suggestions, Doug.

RB
Bobsprit

There were two different centerboards for the Rhodes 19. There was a
fiberglass centerboard that weighed 100 pounds less than the
alternative cast iron board. The boats with the fiberglass board have
100 pounds of ballast added to the bilge to compensate. I don't see
any serious problem with keeping one on a mooring. Two people can
unstep the mast and haul the boat out on a trailer without much fuss
in case of a hurricane. Another nice thing about the Rhodes is that
there are thousands of them, and they are still in production. You can
get anything you need for them.

Forwarded this info. Thanks.

RB