Dan

Default Trailerable Trimarans

Does anyone have any experience with using a trailerable trimaran, like
the Corsair F28, Telstar T2, or the Dragonfly 800 as a coastal cruiser,
or even a bluewater cruiser. If so, what have your experiences been
like.

Dan

Capt. JG

Personally, I think they're great. I've sailed on a F-24 and an F-31. Damn
fast and decently easy to prepare. Didn't cruise though.. just beer can
races. Are you familiar with the 'multihulls(at)steamradio.com' email list?
If not, check it out. Lots of great info that way. I belive it's still
working.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Dan" wrote in message
Does anyone have any experience with using a trailerable trimaran, like
the Corsair F28, Telstar T2, or the Dragonfly 800 as a coastal cruiser, or
even a bluewater cruiser. If so, what have your experiences been like.

Dan

DSK

Dan wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with using a trailerable trimaran, like
the Corsair F28, Telstar T2, or the Dragonfly 800 as a coastal cruiser,
or even a bluewater cruiser. If so, what have your experiences been like.

I have some experience with the more common F-27 and F-24.

If you like spartan, as in camping with about the same equipment &
comfort you would have on the trail with everything toted on your back,
only with a solid roof over your head, then yeah they're great. If
you're decadent and want a place to stand up while you put on your
pants, or a supply of cold beverages, then too bad.

As ocean sailers, they're probably a bit more safe than a monohull of
comparable capacity, and much faster. The biggest issue is the skill of
the skipper, and 2nd to that is how well outfitted.

If you're trailering, be prepared to spend a lot longer rigging up than
anybody likes to admit.

Very fun boats, but they have their downsides (unless you're a multihull
fanatic).

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

dan

That's the reason I"ve mentioned the Telstar and the Dragonfly
trimarans. These two are more geared for cruising than are the
Corsairs, which really appear to be racing oriented.

Why do you think that they're a bit more safe than a monohull of
comparable capacity?

Jonathan Ganz

In article 2005101717252777923%sailingdog@gmailignorethiscom ,
dan wrote:
That's the reason I"ve mentioned the Telstar and the Dragonfly
trimarans. These two are more geared for cruising than are the
Corsairs, which really appear to be racing oriented.

Why do you think that they're a bit more safe than a monohull of
comparable capacity?

Besides being immune from sinking? More stable, which means easier on
the crew for long passages.. less chance of injury for the same
reason.

Of course, as Doug points out, no boat or design is perfect.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

DSK

Jonathan Ganz wrote:
Besides being immune from sinking? More stable, which means easier on
the crew for long passages.. less chance of injury for the same
reason.

Agreed, and less chance of stuff breaking as it falls to the low side. I
dunno if they're truly "easier on the crew" since the motion is very
bouncy & jerky in any kind of wave action. I guess if you love that kind
of boat and sail them all the time, you get used to the motion.

The main reason I'd consider them safer is the speed- not for "running
away from storms" which is malarkey, but rather because they need a
smaller & thus more easily predictable & more accurately judged weather
window for any given hop.

Dan, I have no experience with the Dragonfly or Telstar other than
ogling them at boat shows. I can say that I think the Dragonfly is very
well built, and that neither that nor the Telstar is significantly
roomier than the Corsair series.

Of course, as Doug points out, no boat or design is perfect.

Yes there is, but I'm not telling which one

DSK

Jonathan Ganz

Jonathan Ganz wrote:
Besides being immune from sinking? More stable, which means easier on
the crew for long passages.. less chance of injury for the same
reason.

Agreed, and less chance of stuff breaking as it falls to the low side. I
dunno if they're truly "easier on the crew" since the motion is very
bouncy & jerky in any kind of wave action. I guess if you love that kind
of boat and sail them all the time, you get used to the motion.

That's certainly an issue... the motion is different, and it needs
some getting used to.

The main reason I'd consider them safer is the speed- not for "running
away from storms" which is malarkey, but rather because they need a
smaller & thus more easily predictable & more accurately judged weather
window for any given hop.

That is malarkey, but a smaller window needed is sort of like running
away in that you might be able to squeak through when I mono wouldn't
be able to make it. I wouldn't want to bet my life on that, however. I
don't think it's a good idea to plan on a shorter journey until you're
really familiar with your boat.

Of course, as Doug points out, no boat or design is perfect.

Yes there is, but I'm not telling which one

Ah... come on Doug!

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com