Jonathan Ganz

Default Trailerable Trimarans

In article ,
DSK wrote:
Why do you think that they're a bit more safe than a monohull of
comparable capacity?

Jonathan Ganz wrote:
Besides being immune from sinking? More stable, which means easier on
the crew for long passages.. less chance of injury for the same
reason.

Agreed, and less chance of stuff breaking as it falls to the low side. I
dunno if they're truly "easier on the crew" since the motion is very
bouncy & jerky in any kind of wave action. I guess if you love that kind
of boat and sail them all the time, you get used to the motion.

That's certainly an issue... the motion is different, and it needs
some getting used to.

The main reason I'd consider them safer is the speed- not for "running
away from storms" which is malarkey, but rather because they need a
smaller & thus more easily predictable & more accurately judged weather
window for any given hop.

That is malarkey, but a smaller window needed is sort of like running
away in that you might be able to squeak through when I mono wouldn't
be able to make it. I wouldn't want to bet my life on that, however. I
don't think it's a good idea to plan on a shorter journey until you're
really familiar with your boat.

Of course, as Doug points out, no boat or design is perfect.

Yes there is, but I'm not telling which one

Ah... come on Doug!

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com