posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Single Handlinf Crusiers How about this one

Based on advice here, what about this one?
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...our&slim=quick

--

jlrogers±³©

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the
argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt

"Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little security shall
soon have neither." Benjamin Franklin

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"jlrogers±³©" wrote:
Based on advice here, what about this one?http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...&units=Feet&cu...

--

jlrogers±³©

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. *It is the
argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt

"Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little security shall
soon have neither." Benjamin Franklin

Endeavors are generally well regarded boats... not flashy but
practical & solid. They are kind of old-fashioned in lay-out and you
could get a much roomier boat on the same LWL & displacement, but if
the arrangement is comfortable and practical for you, then why go for
more? It's certainly worth taking a good look at. If you want some
really detailed info, there's a guy over at rec.boats.cruising named
Roger Long who has one, been upgrading it and cruising in it for a
couple of years now. That particular one... the pic of the engine
doesn't look too good... a 110v fridge wtf??!?... at some point,
somebody is going to put their foot in the sink on their way up/down
the companionway, but then a lot of boats of that era had the galley
counter as part of the steps... opeing ports with screens are GOOD...
dodger & canvas is GOOD... no windlass, hmmmm-mm....

About boat-shopping... don't expect too much, don't set a time frame
(other than maybe, you want to have a boat to cruise in by 2010 or
so). When I was shopping for a small-ish racing boat this past spring,
I was appalled at the condition of most boats being offered for sale,
and wouldn't have taken them at any price. Take notes, don't mislead
sellers, look in all the nooks & crannies, keep your list of desired
features handy.

For example, some things I personally want....
- a windlass (some folks might think 6 ton 32 footer doesn't need
one)....
- a GOOD autopilot (under deck, preferably hydraulic or 48V
drive). ...
- GOOD sails, and not a 15 bag inventory of blown-out racing sails
from 20 years ago....
- upsized self-tailing winches on the cabin top....
- control lines led aft, halyards & reefing lines...

Some things aren't expensive or difficult, most boats you look at will
need deck hardware replaced and probably rebedded; lifeline stanchions
are a favorite. If you get into a price discussion, know the prices of
your upgrades! Boat stuff is far far more expensive than anybody is
willing to believe, So keep a large part of your budget for outfitting
& upgrading, and keep your ears open for stories of people who have
done mods/upgrades you'd like to emulate.

Frankly, given the headlines, the boating industry 'buyer's market' is
only going to deepen over the next year IMHO. But the costs of keeping
a boat are going up up up.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

PS- I really like your sig quotes, JL

posted to alt.sailing.asa

It's an excellent choice of value boat that a penny pincher would be proud
to sail off into poverty with. Stab a few people in the back along the way
and you're set!

It looks like a very attractive boat. Figure out what repairs may have to be
done, negotiate the price down a tad based upon repairs and you have a high
quality, low risk starter boat. You will learn quite a bit from actually
doing it with your own boat and from there, in a few years, you can move
into something that you may find more suitable. Plus you won't lose much on
the resale unless you pay tens of thousands of dollars for someone to take
the boat away. Also, don't sink a ton of money into changing hardware and
making everything perfect. You'll never get what you invested back and after
a while you understand why some things are the way they are. Dock fees,
maintenance, etc are all the same regardless of boat brand or initial cost
so boat cost is really the only thing you have control over.

"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message
Based on advice here, what about this one?
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...our&slim=quick

--

jlrogers±³©

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the
argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt

"Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little security shall
soon have neither." Benjamin Franklin

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message
Based on advice here, what about this one?
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...our&slim=quick

--

jlrogers±³©

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the
argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt

"Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little security shall
soon have neither." Benjamin Franklin

Seems a bit over-priced, but I don't know the market in that part of the US.
Depends on how much you have to do to it. Good boats, however. I'm not sure
if this is best for a liveaboard. I wouldn't try it in less than 36.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 07:31:46 -0500, "jlrogers±³©"
wrote:

Based on advice here, what about this one?
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...our&slim=quick

Friend had one years ago. Little slow for it's OAL, but that might
not be important to you. Otherwise, satisfied with it.

Seems to me I remember a design flaw in the way the mast was stepped
with endeavours, but I can't remember if it was this model. You
should check. Something to do with a ferrous material step box.

From the pictures, looks like it has been well maintained, or possibly
recently refit.

I think there is an endeavour group, as I recall lots of 32's
participating.

My only personal experience was with a 38CC, ten day bareboat charter,
I really liked the boat.

Frank

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote:

Based on advice here, what about this one?
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...our&slim=quick

Friend had one years ago. Little slow for it's OAL, but that might
not be important to you. Otherwise, satisfied with it.

Seems to me I remember a design flaw in the way the mast was stepped
with endeavours, but I can't remember if it was this model. You
should check. Something to do with a ferrous material step box.

From the pictures, looks like it has been well maintained, or possibly
recently refit.

I think there is an endeavour group, as I recall lots of 32's
participating.

My only personal experience was with a 38CC, ten day bareboat charter,
I really liked the boat.

Frank

I like the 38CC a lot, but we're talking about 85000 for a decent one.
That's a lot to spend to see if I really like the liveaboard lifestyle.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Custom Morgan with a single sail cat rig on a tapered unstayed mast.

http://www.usedboats.com/sailboats/1...78/1775413.htm

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 06:26:45 -0500, "jlrogers±³©"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Based on advice here, what about this one?
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...our&slim=quick

Friend had one years ago. Little slow for it's OAL, but that might
not be important to you. Otherwise, satisfied with it.

Seems to me I remember a design flaw in the way the mast was stepped
with endeavours, but I can't remember if it was this model. You
should check. Something to do with a ferrous material step box.

From the pictures, looks like it has been well maintained, or possibly
recently refit.

I think there is an endeavour group, as I recall lots of 32's
participating.

My only personal experience was with a 38CC, ten day bareboat charter,
I really liked the boat.

Frank

I like the 38CC a lot, but we're talking about 85000 for a decent one.
That's a lot to spend to see if I really like the liveaboard lifestyle.

Ironically, the one I chartered out of St Thomas ended up in Kemah.
At that time named the "Never Better", she had fallen on hard times.
IIRC she was purchased for very little and refit.

That 38 and the 42 of the same era, (85-90) are very good sailing
vessels with great accomodations for living aboard.

Good luck with your search.

Frank
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"jlrogers±³©" wrote:
Custom Morgan with a single sail cat rig on a tapered unstayed mast.

http://www.usedboats.com/sailboats/1.../custom/cruise...

Wow, that's certainly unique!
It could really be great, or it could really be a disaster. Hard to
say from pics on the internet. It looks roomy.

I like cat rigs if the lines are led properly for easy control. The
biggest problem with them is that there's no room on the foredeck for
stuff like docking & anchoring.

Certainly worth taking a look at, if you're in the neighborhood.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King
posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message
"jlrogers±³©" wrote:
Custom Morgan with a single sail cat rig on a tapered unstayed mast.

http://www.usedboats.com/sailboats/1.../custom/cruise...

Wow, that's certainly unique!
It could really be great, or it could really be a disaster. Hard to
say from pics on the internet. It looks roomy.

I like cat rigs if the lines are led properly for easy control. The
biggest problem with them is that there's no room on the foredeck for
stuff like docking & anchoring.

Certainly worth taking a look at, if you're in the neighborhood.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

I found a 1979 30' Nonsuch for less than 30,000.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...uch&slim=quick

If it were close, I'd go look at it.

single handling crusiers jlrogers±³©[_2_] ASA 41 November 20th 08 02:53 PM
Crusiers 3370 1990 its me General 0 June 13th 05 03:52 AM
Single blister Heikki Boat Building 5 April 13th 05 03:44 PM
Pocket Crusiers Leanne Electronics 1 August 9th 04 06:30 AM