posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

Default dead engines, kayaks, and powerboaters

"Wayne.B" wrote
Why should he be concerned about a 2 or 3 ft wake? Let's get
real. A wake is a wave by any other name.

Y'know, I'll bet that's exactly what that guy just upriver from me with the
SeaPlow 390 thinks.

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 6, 11:56 am, "Roger Long" wrote:
"Robert Musgine" wrote

He should have run up the day shapes.

No, the boat was under 12 meters.

--
Roger Long

Well, I don't think that's right. If he was restricted in his ability
to maneuver then he has to put up his day shapes. Size doesn't enter
into it. Of course, I don't think he was RIBM as the rules have it.
The question of who had the right of way is hard in this case as human
powered boats aren't mentioned in COLREGS. The implication based on
their lights is that they have the rights of a sail boat, but I don't
know if that's been tested...

-- Tom.

I don't think that many rights are available if you cut off another boat,
which was what was about to happen, which in fact did happen in a limited
way. In the small amount of time at this point in the channel, there was no
opportunity to display day shapes. I've sailed there many times before with
no problems. Prior to this particular spot, we were not restricted at all,
and I'm not even sure we were restricted in the practical sense, since we
did maneauver. I think the real issue is the behavior of the kayaker,
assuming that he was the only one on the water, not looking port or
starboard.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On 2007-11-06 14:44:50 -0500, "Capt. JG" said:

Ok, so we proceeded to sail, then got to a good spot to turn on the engine
and drop the sails. Did this, motored about 200 meters, when the cooling
water hi temp alarm came on.

THAT concerns me! The kayaker was just bucking for a Darwin award.

We've found that even with the fresh water closed off, we have about 5
minutes' run-time at cruise power (about 2200 rpm) before the high-temp
alarm sounds -- quite a bit further than 200 meters. We used that
reserve once about a decade ago, so I know it exists.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

On 2007-11-06 14:44:50 -0500, "Capt. JG" said:

Ok, so we proceeded to sail, then got to a good spot to turn on the
engine
and drop the sails. Did this, motored about 200 meters, when the cooling
water hi temp alarm came on.

THAT concerns me! The kayaker was just bucking for a Darwin award.

After thinking about it between then and now and recalling the expression of
"determination" on his face, I'm now under the impression that he just
didn't know how to control his kayak (which would still qualify for the
award, given the general location). Some people think because the sun is
shining and there's no wind, there are no other hazards... like other boats,
currents, etc.

We've found that even with the fresh water closed off, we have about 5
minutes' run-time at cruise power (about 2200 rpm) before the high-temp
alarm sounds -- quite a bit further than 200 meters. We used that reserve
once about a decade ago, so I know it exists.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD

I know you're right... we did run the engine from time to time during the
trek back, but at lower rpm and for shorter times..

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 17:08:06 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

The boater came within 10 feet of us going
over 10kts. You're saying this is appropriate behavior???

Distances can be deceptive sometimes. I'm betting it was more than
that but I understand your point.

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
wrote in message
[...]

Didn't you know the engine was inoperable 1/2 hour before entering the
channel? Was that not enough time to prepare?

Didn't you cut off some much larger boat last year and when he beared down
upon you it was his fault? Now the situation is reversed and it is their
fault?

You claimed to be inoperable yet managed to start the engine?

You travelled at such a speed to almost run over someone in a row boat?

Why didn't you sound the horn hundreds of yards from the kayakers?

Why didn't you have proper lookout?

Why do you not hold yourself responsible in any way?

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

"jeff" wrote in message
. ..
David L. Martel wrote:

I don't quite follow the kayak story. Why couldn't you luff your sail.
Sounds like they had the right of way

How do you figure that?

http://www.auxetrain.org/navhelp.html

"Man-powered boats (e.g. canoes, rowboats, etc.) have the right of way over
sailboats, powerboats, and seaplanes.."

The kayakers had the right of way.

wrote:

The boater came within 10 feet of us going
over 10kts. You're saying this is appropriate behavior???

Distances can be deceptive sometimes. I'm betting it was more than
that but I understand your point.

Wait until one of these clowns rolls you beam ends and see happy you are.
They know what they are doing when they will not even turn around on the
bridge while I was sounding shorts blasts of the air horns.

Leanne

wrote:

The boater came within 10 feet of us going
over 10kts. You're saying this is appropriate behavior???

Distances can be deceptive sometimes. I'm betting it was more than
that but I understand your point.

They can, and I'll restate to say 15 feet, but literally about that.. about
1/2 boat length, maybe less.. It was pretty scary for the two people by the
mast.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Robert Musgine" wrote in message

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
wrote in message
[...]

Wasn't inoperable. Just not something I wanted to do, which is what I said
if you had read the post.

Didn't you cut off some much larger boat last year and when he beared down
upon you it was his fault? Now the situation is reversed and it is their
fault..

Huh? Not sure what you're talking about...

You claimed to be inoperable yet managed to start the engine?

Never claimed that. I said engine trouble.

You travelled at such a speed to almost run over someone in a row boat?

Yeah, about 1/2 knot.

Why didn't you sound the horn hundreds of yards from the kayakers?

100s of yards? He came out of nowhere practically in front of us. We were on
the edge of the channel.

Why didn't you have proper lookout?

Duhh... otherwise I would have run him over.

Why do you not hold yourself responsible in any way?

Why are you stalking me?

I'm not going to respond to a sockpuppet beyond this post...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

dead engines, kayaks, and powerboaters Capt. JG Cruising 134 December 13th 07 02:10 AM
anti fatigue mats for powerboaters to stand on captkeywest General 6 July 1st 05 01:30 PM
Our Hero is Dead, Dead, Dead John Gaquin General 46 July 2nd 04 12:16 PM
BMC engines Nick Boat Building 2 February 25th 04 07:35 PM
Engines going out Bertie the Bunyip ASA 29 October 19th 03 06:36 PM