posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

Default dead engines, kayaks, and powerboaters

Taught a class this last weekend through one of the local schools. Saturday,
wind was light, so we practiced a lot of motoring skills aboard a newer
Hunter 32. Typically, the second day is devoted to sailing skills, such as
COBs and the usual tacking/jibing/points of sail, etc.

The wind picked up a bit in mid-afternoon, and we got some good COB
practice. Ate lunch under sail, and since anchoring knowledge is part of the
class, I decided to get us over to the Cone Rock area for a bit of practice.
Sailing there, a big cabin cruiser came up on us from the starboard stern...
must have been going 10+ kts, with a huge wake.

At first I thought he was going to cut us off to the point of us having to
take evasive action, but he weaved around enough to clear our side and bow.
The whole time we're waving and gesturing to slow down, since it was going
to be close and the wake was going to be huge. He kept right on going, and
as he got abeam, had the middle finger flying. What a jerk. Fortunately, we
were all holding on at this point, so no one was hurt or thrown off the
boat, which could easily have been the case.

Ok, so we proceeded to sail, then got to a good spot to turn on the engine
and drop the sails. Did this, motored about 200 meters, when the cooling
water hi temp alarm came on. I was able to kill the engine within 20 seconds
or so. A couple of the students were still up by the mast, so the main came
back up without a hitch. As soon as they scrambled back to the cockpit, I
popped the furling line for the jib, it came out, and we got moving again.

We did a visual inspection of the engine... double checked that the raw
water intake was open, oil level, fresh water level, feel for excessive
heat, sniff test for something burning, belts are on and not slipping. I had
someone turn the engine back on and I put my hand over the raw water exhaust
(it's under the transom, and you can be fooled by air bubbling vs. water
exiting). Water was definitely coming out, the water was luke warm at most,
but the alarm was on. Also, I noticed oil on the absorbant pad underneath
the engine... not a lot, but there was none in the morning... something
happened. Well, we were sailing, so it didn't matter right now, and I shut
down the engine after about a minute. Even though the water was only warm at
most, I was starting to see steam coming out of the exhaust. I started
thinking it might be a blown head gasket, one reason was it seemed overly
rough at low idle.

Since we were headed back to base anyway at this point, I figured I'd give
them a ring (cell phone had great reception) and let the base manager know
what was up and ask if he had any suggestions. He had none beyond what I'd
already done, so I told him we'd be back in about an hour at most, and I
would call him again if I thought we couldn't make it back to either the
slip or an end tie near the base. I think he appreciated me not hailing them
on the VHF... dirty laundry in public and all that.

So, we're sailing down the Sausalito channel. Toward the end of the channel,
where we need to go, it gets rather narrow, and it's quite easy to run
aground if you get outside the markers. As we get to a particularly narrow
spot (still under sail, which was good practice for the students), three
kayakers come out of a marina and are slowly paddling ahead of us on our
port side just outside the channel. I can see that they're totally unaware
of us and edging closer and closer to the channel, obviously going to head
across it.

When I got within earshot, I called over to them, saying, please stay out of
the channel... we're having engine trouble and can't maneauver. One asked me
where he should be, and I said, anywhere except in front of me is fine.
Another one stopped paddling, waiting for us to go by. The third guy kept
going! Slowly! Unbelievable. So, I said, Sir, if you keep going, we're going
to run you over. Please get out of the channel. He said ok, but kept going!
So, I turned on the engine again, figuring I could use it for 30 seconds
without damage, since it had been off for over 30 minutes. We got around
him, barely. I thanked him for getting out of our way, and I think he
thought I was serious. Jeez... Then, I turned off the engine.

Well, the final leg was sailing down the fairway, very light wind at this
point... under 2kts, but we made a beautiful docking, and all ended well.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Capt. JG" wrote:

Sailing there, a big cabin cruiser came up on us from the starboard

stern...
must have been going 10+ kts, with a huge wake.

At first I thought he was going to cut us off to the point of us

having to
take evasive action, but he weaved around enough to clear our side

and bow.
The whole time we're waving and gesturing to slow down, since it was

going
to be close and the wake was going to be huge. He kept right on

going, and
as he got abeam, had the middle finger flying.

Am convinced that for the most part, to qualify to receive the keys to
a power vessel, you must certify you only have 2 brain cells, of which
at least one must be dead.

Lew

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

"Capt. JG" wrote:

Sailing there, a big cabin cruiser came up on us from the starboard

stern...
must have been going 10+ kts, with a huge wake.

At first I thought he was going to cut us off to the point of us

having to
take evasive action, but he weaved around enough to clear our side

and bow.
The whole time we're waving and gesturing to slow down, since it was

going
to be close and the wake was going to be huge. He kept right on

going, and
as he got abeam, had the middle finger flying.

Am convinced that for the most part, to qualify to receive the keys to
a power vessel, you must certify you only have 2 brain cells, of which
at least one must be dead.

Qualifications to own a big SeaRay are a lobotomy.

Leanne

"Capt. JG" wrote:

Sailing there, a big cabin cruiser came up on us from the starboard

stern...
must have been going 10+ kts, with a huge wake.

At first I thought he was going to cut us off to the point of us

having to
take evasive action, but he weaved around enough to clear our side

and bow.
The whole time we're waving and gesturing to slow down, since it was

going
to be close and the wake was going to be huge. He kept right on

going, and
as he got abeam, had the middle finger flying.

Am convinced that for the most part, to qualify to receive the keys to
a power vessel, you must certify you only have 2 brain cells, of which
at least one must be dead.

Qualifications to own a big SeaRay are a lobotomy.

Leanne

Heh... I don't get it I guess... do they really expect me to get out of the
way?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. JG" wrote:
Sailing there, a big cabin cruiser came up on us from the starboard stern...
must have been going 10+ kts, with a huge wake.

At first I thought he was going to cut us off to the point of us having to
take evasive action, but he weaved around enough to clear our side and bow.
The whole time we're waving and gesturing to slow down, since it was going
to be close and the wake was going to be huge. He kept right on going, and
as he got abeam, had the middle finger flying.

A video camera is the best answer for such.

[...]

Could be a lot of things. Corrosion in the exhaust/cooling water mixer
can make steam, and can also cause enough backpressure to overheat the
engine. Partly busted raw water impellor could also make steam &
overheat. It's not your engine, right?

[...]

Not only a moron, but a militant moron. The same kind who rides his
bicycle in traffic and dares cars to hit him.

It's a shame we don't currently have a legal way to get such people
out of the gene pool.

We've had a couple of issues with kayakers, generally they have no
clue about draft or maneuverability constraints. In New York, we had a
trio of kayakers dart across the channel in front of us (it seemed to
me that they had waited for the opportunity to do so) but we were
already going slow, had spotted them well ahead, and let them go by.
About an hour later there was a pretty bad squall and the police &
rescue boats went tearing out into the river.... seems you-know-who
had gotten lost, disoriented, capsized repeatedly, and finally become
separated from their boats. They could only think to use their cell
phones to dial 911.
..

Well, the final leg was sailing down the fairway, very light wind at this
point... under 2kts, but we made a beautiful docking, and all ended well.

Sounds like a GREAT sailing lesson: if you know the skills & watch out
for idiots, you can still have a good time!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message
oups.com...
"Capt. JG" wrote:
Sailing there, a big cabin cruiser came up on us from the starboard
stern...
must have been going 10+ kts, with a huge wake.

At first I thought he was going to cut us off to the point of us having
take evasive action, but he weaved around enough to clear our side and
bow.
The whole time we're waving and gesturing to slow down, since it was
going
to be close and the wake was going to be huge. He kept right on going,
and
as he got abeam, had the middle finger flying.

A video camera is the best answer for such.

I've got one on my cell phone, but I just wasn't fast enough...

[...]

I wouldn't think it was corrosion, since it's a brand new engine... very
clean. I like the busted impellor theory. Damn right... not mine.

We've had a couple of issues with kayakers, generally they have no
clue about draft or maneuverability constraints. In New York, we had a
trio of kayakers dart across the channel in front of us (it seemed to
me that they had waited for the opportunity to do so) but we were
already going slow, had spotted them well ahead, and let them go by.
About an hour later there was a pretty bad squall and the police &
rescue boats went tearing out into the river.... seems you-know-who
had gotten lost, disoriented, capsized repeatedly, and finally become
separated from their boats. They could only think to use their cell
phones to dial 911.

Sheesh... usually they are smart enough to stay out of the way, but every
once in a while. I always tell the students to try and hit them on their
beam... they'll sink faster.

Well, the final leg was sailing down the fairway, very light wind at this
point... under 2kts, but we made a beautiful docking, and all ended well.

Sounds like a GREAT sailing lesson: if you know the skills & watch out
for idiots, you can still have a good time!

They loved it. The main issue was at the end going down the fairway... would
we have enough to get to the end where the slip was... but we did. It
reinforced the notion of an "auxiliary" and primary means of propulsion.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Dave" wrote in message
On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 11:44:50 -0800, "Capt. JG"
said:

Well, the final leg was sailing down the fairway, very light wind at this
point... under 2kts, but we made a beautiful docking, and all ended well.

So what was the cause of the overheating? I had an issue with overheating
this summer. Turned out the raw water intake was plugged up part way by
barnacles. Disconnected the intake hose at the engine and ran a bent coat
wire down the opening a few times. Problem solved.

I'm still waiting to hear... I'm sure they'll let me know mid-week when they
get to it.

I had an interesting situation on my boat with one of the bilge pumps not
pumping even though it was running. I got to my boat after the class to find
a bit of water in the bilge, enough that it should have triggered the pump.
Foolishly, I had switched off the bilge pump at the panel, and thought, oh
well, not a big deal. But, when I switched it to auto, it ran and nothing
got removed. Hmmm... pulled the pump and it was pushing water through the
exhaust side. Gave the tube that would normally connect to the exhaust side
a puff, yech, but it's only bilge water right, and it was clogged. Hmmm....
turns out the check valve (bronze) was not opening in the out direction. One
push of a screwdriver fixed that, but I replaced both valves after both
pumps.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

"Timothy Tannebaum" wrote in message

bs deleted

Still stalking me I see. No problem... PLONK.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

[...]

No dayshapes displayed for limited maneuverability!

No lights either!

Negligence!

Incompetence!

Ball-Diamond-Ball!!!!!

I bet the kayakers had the right of way too!

He should have run up the day shapes.

"Robert Musgine" wrote in message

[...]

It's hard for him to tell one shape from another. He's written that when he
looks at stuff it morphs into reptile-looking objects. It's from large
overdoses of LSD he admitted he's taken. It's negligence on the Coast Guards
behalf to issue a professional license to an admitted drug abuser.

I say when he finally ends up injuring or killing somebody their relatives
can sue him for everything he owns. Then they can go after the Coast Guard
and have a very good chance of getting a large settlement from them. The
Coast Guard's ultimately responsible for licensing unqualified people.

Greg

dead engines, kayaks, and powerboaters Capt. JG Cruising 134 December 13th 07 02:10 AM
anti fatigue mats for powerboaters to stand on captkeywest General 6 July 1st 05 01:30 PM
Our Hero is Dead, Dead, Dead John Gaquin General 46 July 2nd 04 12:16 PM
BMC engines Nick Boat Building 2 February 25th 04 07:35 PM
Engines going out Bertie the Bunyip ASA 29 October 19th 03 06:36 PM