posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Time to scrape the barnacles

Ok, its Fall now and we have gone from a toasty 99 degrees to a balmy
92 so I thought it would be a good day to lay on the dock and scrape
barnacles offa my 28' S2 cuz I havent gotten around to sailing her 40
miles away to be painted. At 51 yrs of age, I find that 92 degrees in
blazing sun is kinda warm too. It just about killed me. GOD, I used
to do this with ease.
Still, I did manage to do some good. I use a long handled edger,
sorta like a hoe without the bend to the blade. It is heavy enough to
have enough momentum to do the job with one push. In this warmer than
bath water the barnacles grow to eating size very fast. Hours later,
I am STILL guzzling cold water to replace what I lost laying on that
dock.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
ps.com...
Ok, its Fall now and we have gone from a toasty 99 degrees to a balmy
92 so I thought it would be a good day to lay on the dock and scrape
barnacles offa my 28' S2 cuz I havent gotten around to sailing her 40
miles away to be painted. At 51 yrs of age, I find that 92 degrees in
blazing sun is kinda warm too. It just about killed me. GOD, I used
to do this with ease.
Still, I did manage to do some good. I use a long handled edger,
sorta like a hoe without the bend to the blade. It is heavy enough to
have enough momentum to do the job with one push. In this warmer than
bath water the barnacles grow to eating size very fast. Hours later,
I am STILL guzzling cold water to replace what I lost laying on that
dock.

A very high pressure (3000 psi) power washer will work underwater if the
nozzle is held up close. A bit easier than scraping.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 20:02:34 -0600, "Lloyd Bonafide"
wrote:

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I always had the yard pressure wash as soon as the boat was lifted
with a very high pressure washer. It got the slime, grass and some of
the small barnacles but couldn't touch those water line barnacles. I
had to use one of those tools that are used to remove floor tile, then
grind down the base of the barnacle which remained.

Those upper gulf barnacles are tough.

Between haulouts, I would just take it out to one of the islands, get
in the lee almost aground, and stand in the water to scrape them off.
Then put on a tank and clean off the grass and slime. Little cooler
than laying on the dock.

Frank
posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Sep 29, 10:11 am, wrote:
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 07:19:59 -0500, Frank Boettcher
wrote:

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 20:02:34 -0600, "Lloyd Bonafide"
wrote:

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Buy yourself a little spray bottle of barnacle remover at any chandelery. It's
basically an acid, so wear rubber gloves, goggles, and don't breathe it. Knock
off the barnacles with a scraper. Then spray and wait a few minutes. Dissolves
the barnacle remains pretty fast. Works great to clean alloy car wheels too.
Just make sure to test first in a small spot. Some wheels and finishes don't
like acid. All those wheel cleaners in the auto parts store are acids, too, but
not nearly as concentrated. Rinse well afterwards.

Today, I will have to go back in the water to clear th water intake of
barnacles. I tried running a wire down from inside but the strainer
on the outside hull is fully fouled.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote:

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 20:02:34 -0600, "Lloyd Bonafide"
wrote:

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Could not reach the dang strainer from being in the water beside the
boat.
Tomorrow, I remove the water intake hose and put it into a bucket of
water which my son will keep filled while I motor out to the anchorage
where the water is clear enough for me to dive and clear the
strainer. My God, what a PITA.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote:

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 20:02:34 -0600, "Lloyd Bonafide"
wrote:

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Today, I tried floating beside the boat on a raft while trying to
reach the strainer, no luck.
Problem is, I volunteered for a bunch of Sea Scouts to use my boat
(with me on it ) two weeks from today. I will be out of town this
week and gone next weekend giving me no time to get this done. The
only diver around here does a bunch of boats at a time and will not be
available till mid month.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote:

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 20:02:34 -0600, "Lloyd Bonafide"
wrote:

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
egroups.com...

[...]

The consequences of putting things off....
posted to alt.sailing.asa

ps.com...

wrote:

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 20:02:34 -0600, "Lloyd Bonafide"
wrote:

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

It's your own frickin' fault for having a sailboat with an engine
inside. Smart people who love to sail and who don't like all the PITA
inboards cause use sensible outboard motors that have no such problems.
No prop scraping and painting, no dripping packing glands, no zincs for
the propeller shaft, no huge expense for filters and such and the mess
of all that smelly crap in your bilge, no accommodation that reeks of
diesel fuel, no heat build up inside the boat on a hot day and it goes
on and on. You don't have a sailboat. What you have is a motorboat with
sails. Stupid thing to own.

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Alan Gomes" wrote in message
Wilbur Hubbard wrote:

ps.com...

wrote:

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 20:02:34 -0600, "Lloyd Bonafide"
wrote:

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

What size outboards do you have on your Swan 68 and Allied 32 footer?

--AG

That's different. They are YACHTS! A man of means may own yachts
because one can afford to pay the hoi polloi to do the painting and
scraping and to maintain things in an immaculate manner so there is no
reek of diesel. Top-of-the-line parts and systems ensure no drips and
smells. As the owner of ocean-going yachts one never has to bother with
these untidy chores. What's his face, Frogcatch, has a small boat which
would be suitable for an outboard. It's simply ludicrous to have an
installed diesel in any sailboat under 30 feet.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
ps.com...
Ok, its Fall now and we have gone from a toasty 99 degrees to a balmy
92 so I thought it would be a good day to lay on the dock and scrape
barnacles offa my 28' S2 cuz I havent gotten around to sailing her 40
miles away to be painted. At 51 yrs of age, I find that 92 degrees in
blazing sun is kinda warm too. It just about killed me. GOD, I used
to do this with ease.

Yup!! Old age is a killer.

Regards

Donal

Aw, Barnacles! NYC XYZ General 17 January 23rd 06 04:53 PM
Aw, Barnacles! NYC XYZ General 18 January 23rd 06 04:53 PM
Aw, Barnacles! NYC XYZ Touring 17 January 23rd 06 04:53 PM
Barnacles on prop Harvey Waxman Cruising 6 July 20th 04 11:20 AM
barnacles on propp Harvey Waxman General 3 July 19th 04 02:11 AM