posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

Default prop paint

wrote in message
ups.com...
Joe wrote:
Sorry....just coat it with the same paint you used to do your bottom.

NO!

DO NOT DO THIS

I'm surprised at Joe's suggestion, which will cause electrolysis
corrosion on the prop. If you're going to paint your prop with anti-
fouling, you need to either prime it first OR use a non-metal-based
anti-fouling.

I guess it just depends on the prop material and the type of paint.

It dont matter anyway..it's not going to last long anyway.. I tried
everything Scotty, and nothing last more than 1 year. After a year you
need to jump in and scrape the wheel often.

Barnacles won't grow on a prop that gets run every week or so.

You don't live in an area of active barnacle growth, then. Here on the
Central East coast of Florida, 3 days can have small barnacles attaching
themselves. Even with good bottom paint, if you want to win races, you wipe
the bottom before every race.

"Sammy" wrote:
I guess it just depends on the prop material and the type of paint.

Yep, that's what I said

Barnacles won't grow on a prop that gets run every week or so.

You don't live in an area of active barnacle growth, then.

That would be incorrect. Barnacles grow just fine in our home waters.

Here on the
Central East coast of Florida, 3 days can have small barnacles attaching
themselves.

Sure, but how small? And how much hard shell growth at the point of
attachment? If the prop is run up to speed every week, then you will
see only small barnacles around the hub pretty much indefinitely. Try
it.

Even with good bottom paint, if you want to win races, you wipe
the bottom before every race.

Or dry sail.... but that's true everywhere, even in fresh water. All
kinds of stuff besides barnacles grows on the hull of a a boat, and
none of it makes the boat go faster.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 28, 9:45 am, wrote:
Joe wrote:
Sorry....just coat it with the same paint you used to do your bottom.

NO!

DO NOT DO THIS

Ohh ...OK Doug you're correct for FG boats. I always use ablatives and
never NEVER any antifoulants with metals like copper. I also put on an
epoxy barrier first..it still wears off in no time attall.

Joe

I'm surprised at Joe's suggestion, which will cause electrolysis
corrosion on the prop. If you're going to paint your prop with anti-
fouling, you need to either prime it first OR use a non-metal-based
anti-fouling.

It dont matter anyway..it's not going to last long anyway.. I tried
everything Scotty, and nothing last more than 1 year. After a year you
need to jump in and scrape the wheel often.

Barnacles won't grow on a prop that gets run every week or so.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 28, 8:19 am, Joe wrote:
On Sep 28, 8:07 am, "Scotty" wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message

roups.com..
. On Sep 28, 7:57 am, "Scotty" wrote:
What's good anti-fouling paint for' a prop?

SBV

you should paint the "top" of the prop too. I use

interlux.

Interlux what?

paint

Sorry....just coat it with the same paint you used to do your bottom.
It dont matter anyway..it's not going to last long anyway.. I tried
everything Scotty, and nothing last more than 1 year. After a year you
need to jump in and scrape the wheel often.

Joe

If that long... I don't bother.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 08:57:23 -0400, "Scotty" wrote this
crap:

What's good for 'bottom painting' a prop?

You paint your prop? What for? Nothing grows on bronze.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.
posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Ed Ed is offline

Prop speed.

After 20 years I finally found something that works on inboards. READ
THE DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY.... IT WORKS ONLY IF USED AS DIRECTED.

Mine last about 12 mos in S Florida

Bloody Horvath wrote:
On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 08:57:23 -0400, "Scotty" wrote this
crap:

What's good for 'bottom painting' a prop?

You paint your prop? What for? Nothing grows on bronze.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

What's good for 'bottom painting' a prop?

OzOne wrote:
Nothing...just use the bloody thing.

heh
that's what *I* tried to tell 'em, but would they listen to me... no-
oo

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

OzOne wrote:
Nothing...just use the bloody thing.

heh
that's what *I* tried to tell 'em, but would they listen to me... no-
oo

DSK

You still need to paint it with a primer and then with special
antifouling for props which is harder than normal antifouling paint.
And of course you need to run the prop once a week as some guys said!
And yes Bronze props Do get barnacles if you dont run it!!!

Stelios
www.sig.gr

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 19:36:06 -0400, Ed wrote this
crap:

Prop speed.

I don't get it. After your prop folds up, how is the paint going to
make it faster?

prop paint Scotty Cruising 19 September 29th 07 01:25 PM
Bottom Paint ,,, 20 layers of Bottom Paint ,,, how to remove it. Thomas Wentworth Cruising 33 April 12th 06 12:31 AM
Bottom paint on prop beaufortnc Cruising 50 December 1st 05 12:41 AM
Antifouling paint reacts with gloss paint. ARGHH! Stu Knowles Boat Building 7 August 3rd 04 11:31 PM
What paint to use Pat Boat Building 10 March 16th 04 01:43 PM