posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

Default prop paint

What's good for 'bottom painting' a prop?

SBV

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 28, 7:57 am, "Scotty" wrote:
What's good for 'bottom painting' a prop?

SBV

you should paint the "top" of the prop too. I use interlux.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com..
..
On Sep 28, 7:57 am, "Scotty" wrote:
What's good anti-fouling paint for' a prop?

SBV

you should paint the "top" of the prop too. I use

interlux.

Interlux what?

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising

That's a funny question for me. This year at the Glad Boat Yard in Florida,
Dad and I bought some hugely expensive prop paint, while a number of others
did something crazy. They bought a couple Jiffy markers and colored the
prop with four or five coats. The weird part is they seemed to end up with
less growth on their props than we did. It seems someone discovered that
after sending their prop to the prop-shop, the techs wrote some kind of code
number on the prop to identify the prop. Funny enough someone noticed that
the only part of the prop with no growth was the part written on with Jiffy
marker.

So...for what it's worth, I'll be Jiffy marking mine this year.

Glenn.
s/v Seawing

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Sep 28, 7:57 am, "Scotty" wrote:
What's good for 'bottom painting' a prop?

SBV

you should paint the "top" of the prop too. I use interlux.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 28, 8:19 am, Joe wrote:
On Sep 28, 8:07 am, "Scotty" wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message

roups.com..
. On Sep 28, 7:57 am, "Scotty" wrote:
What's good anti-fouling paint for' a prop?

SBV

you should paint the "top" of the prop too. I use

interlux.

Interlux what?

paint

Sorry....just coat it with the same paint you used to do your bottom.
It dont matter anyway..it's not going to last long anyway.. I tried
everything Scotty, and nothing last more than 1 year. After a year you
need to jump in and scrape the wheel often.

Joe

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 08:57:23 -0400, "Scotty" wrote:

What's good for 'bottom painting' a prop?

Nobody paints bronze. No real point to it. Bronze is an alloy of,
mostly tin and copper, both of which are used as the active ingredient
in anti-fouling paint. I have seen some bare stainless props as well,
but I am a fresh water sailor, and we don't have to contend with real
marine wildlife. As for aluminum, probably Awlgrip or maybe epoxy.
Antifouling paint is supposed to slowly dissolve, On a spinning prop
it dissolves[ ablate if you like] rather too quickly, so they don't
use it.

Casady
posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 28, 8:23 am, "Glenn \(s/v Seawing\)"
wrote:
That's a funny question for me. This year at the Glad Boat Yard in Florida,
Dad and I bought some hugely expensive prop paint, while a number of others
did something crazy. They bought a couple Jiffy markers and colored the
prop with four or five coats. The weird part is they seemed to end up with
less growth on their props than we did. It seems someone discovered that
after sending their prop to the prop-shop, the techs wrote some kind of code
number on the prop to identify the prop. Funny enough someone noticed that
the only part of the prop with no growth was the part written on with Jiffy
marker.

So...for what it's worth, I'll be Jiffy marking mine this year.

Glenn.
s/v Seawing

"Joe" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Sep 28, 7:57 am, "Scotty" wrote:
What's good for 'bottom painting' a prop?

SBV

you should paint the "top" of the prop too. I use interlux.

Joe- Hide quoted text -

Let us know how it works out. Seems I've heard the Marks-o-lot tale
too.

Joe

Joe wrote:
Sorry....just coat it with the same paint you used to do your bottom.

NO!

DO NOT DO THIS

I'm surprised at Joe's suggestion, which will cause electrolysis
corrosion on the prop. If you're going to paint your prop with anti-
fouling, you need to either prime it first OR use a non-metal-based
anti-fouling.

It dont matter anyway..it's not going to last long anyway.. I tried
everything Scotty, and nothing last more than 1 year. After a year you
need to jump in and scrape the wheel often.

Barnacles won't grow on a prop that gets run every week or so.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

"Glenn \(s/v Seawing\)" wrote:
That's a funny question for me. This year at the Glad Boat Yard in Florida,
Dad and I bought some hugely expensive prop paint, while a number of others
did something crazy. They bought a couple Jiffy markers and colored the
prop with four or five coats. The weird part is they seemed to end up with
less growth on their props than we did.

We've done the same thing. It works, sort of, but not as well as
painting the prop thickly with liquid marker ink. It's hard to find
but not very expensive.

It seems someone discovered that
after sending their prop to the prop-shop, the techs wrote some kind of code
number on the prop to identify the prop. Funny enough someone noticed that
the only part of the prop with no growth was the part written on with Jiffy
marker.

Heard the same story, only it was the Hattaras plant that noticed the
lack of growth where the part number was written.

DSK

Bottom Paint ,,, 20 layers of Bottom Paint ,,, how to remove it. Thomas Wentworth Cruising 33 April 12th 06 12:31 AM
Bottom paint on prop beaufortnc Cruising 50 December 1st 05 12:41 AM
Bottom Paint Tailgunner Boat Building 2 January 10th 05 11:33 AM
Antifouling paint reacts with gloss paint. ARGHH! Stu Knowles Boat Building 7 August 3rd 04 11:31 PM
What paint to use Pat Boat Building 10 March 16th 04 01:43 PM