posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Richard Casady Richard Casady is offline

Default prop paint

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 08:57:23 -0400, "Scotty" wrote:

What's good for 'bottom painting' a prop?

Nobody paints bronze. No real point to it. Bronze is an alloy of,
mostly tin and copper, both of which are used as the active ingredient
in anti-fouling paint. I have seen some bare stainless props as well,
but I am a fresh water sailor, and we don't have to contend with real
marine wildlife. As for aluminum, probably Awlgrip or maybe epoxy.
Antifouling paint is supposed to slowly dissolve, On a spinning prop
it dissolves[ ablate if you like] rather too quickly, so they don't
use it.

Casady