posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default prop paint

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 18:56:33 -0700, "www.sig.gr"
wrote this crap:

You still need to paint it with a primer and then with special
antifouling for props which is harder than normal antifouling paint.
And of course you need to run the prop once a week as some guys said!
And yes Bronze props Do get barnacles if you dont run it!!!

Really? I never get barnacles on mine. Boat builders used to put tin
or copper on the bottom of boats to keep off the barnacles, because
barnacles wouldn't grow on those. Today's bottom paint is copper
based. Isn't your prop made out of an alloy of copper and tin?

I've never seen any barnacles on any props of any boats in my marina.
No barnacles. Not one. No zebra mussels either.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote this crap:

You still need to paint it with a primer and then with special
antifouling for props which is harder than normal antifouling paint.
And of course you need to run the prop once a week as some guys said!
And yes Bronze props Do get barnacles if you dont run it!!!

Really? I never get barnacles on mine. Boat builders used to put tin
or copper on the bottom of boats to keep off the barnacles, because
barnacles wouldn't grow on those. Today's bottom paint is copper
based. Isn't your prop made out of an alloy of copper and tin?

I've never seen any barnacles on any props of any boats in my marina.
No barnacles. Not one. No zebra mussels either.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.

When we were still in Michigan, even using a copper based bottom paint
(VC 17) and having a bronze prop, we still had a few zebra mussels at
the end of wach season...and I do not believe there are barnacles in
fresh watr so you don't have to worry about that at all...Now we hire a
diver to dive down and scrape several times a year...the Neuse is a
dirty old river, fill of things like physteria (sp) from all the hog
farming upriver...not going to get in there if it's not an emergency...
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Bloody Horvath" wrote in message

Really? I never get barnacles on mine. Boat builders used to put tin
or copper on the bottom of boats to keep off the barnacles, because
barnacles wouldn't grow on those.
I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.

No, barnacles will grow on copper and tin. Metal helped against barnacles,
weed, wood rot, etc., but the real reason was to keep sea worms out of the
wood.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"katy" wrote in message

When we were still in Michigan, even using a copper based bottom paint
(VC 17) and having a bronze prop, we still had a few zebra mussels at the
end of wach season...and I do not believe there are barnacles in fresh
watr so you don't have to worry about that at all...Now we hire a diver to
dive down and scrape several times a year...the Neuse is a dirty old
river, fill of things like physteria (sp) from all the hog farming
upriver...not going to get in there if it's not an emergency...

You are not even safe in a lake it would seem.On our news today there is a
story about six people dying in USA because of some amoeba that gets up your
nose while you swim and theneats away at your brain. Unfortunately they did
not say which lake it was-or if other lakes carry this pest.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"katysails" wrote
When we were still in Michigan, even using a copper based bottom paint
(VC 17) and having a bronze prop, we still had a few zebra mussels at the
end of wach season...and I do not believe there are barnacles in fresh
watr so you don't have to worry about that at all...

At least the zebra mussels clean the water.

.... Now we hire a diver to
dive down and scrape several times a year...

Good. It's not that expensive anyway.

...the Neuse is a dirty old
river, fill of things like physteria (sp) from all the hog farming
upriver...not going to get in there if it's not an emergency...

I worry less about physteria than I do about snakes. Did you know that
eastern NC has every kind of poisonous snake native to this continent,
except for desert sidewinders? And every last one of them loves to
swim under water.

"Edgar" wrote:
You are not even safe in a lake it would seem.On our news today there is a
story about six people dying in USA because of some amoeba that gets up your
nose while you swim and theneats away at your brain.

Those people just watch too much TV and now they're trying to blame
the effects on amoeba.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 09:27:31 -0400, katy
wrote this crap:

Really? I never get barnacles on mine. Boat builders used to put tin
or copper on the bottom of boats to keep off the barnacles, because
barnacles wouldn't grow on those. Today's bottom paint is copper
based. Isn't your prop made out of an alloy of copper and tin?

I've never seen any barnacles on any props of any boats in my marina.
No barnacles. Not one. No zebra mussels either.

When we were still in Michigan, even using a copper based bottom paint
(VC 17) and having a bronze prop, we still had a few zebra mussels at
the end of wach season...

I use VC 17 and never get zebra mussels where it is painted. Only on
places where there is no paint, like at the top of the rudder, or on
the plastic thru-hull fittings.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 16:19:14 GMT, "jlrogers"
wrote this crap:

Really? I never get barnacles on mine. Boat builders used to put tin
or copper on the bottom of boats to keep off the barnacles, because
barnacles wouldn't grow on those.

No barnacles will grow on copper and tin.

I agree with that.

Metal helped against barnacles,
weed, wood rot, etc., but the real reason was to keep sea worms out of the
wood.

Bottom paint is copper based to keep off barnacles. I never get any
barnacles on the bottom of my boat.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 20:41:47 +0200, "Edgar"
wrote this crap:

You are not even safe in a lake it would seem.On our news today there is a
story about six people dying in USA because of some amoeba that gets up your
nose while you swim and theneats away at your brain. Unfortunately they did
not say which lake it was-or if other lakes carry this pest.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/...kes/index.html

After doing more tests, doctors said Aaron probably picked up the
amoeba a week before while swimming in the balmy shallows of Lake
Havasu, a popular man-made lake on the Colorado River between Arizona
and California.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote this crap:

Really? I never get barnacles on mine. Boat builders used to put tin
or copper on the bottom of boats to keep off the barnacles, because
barnacles wouldn't grow on those.

No barnacles will grow on copper and tin.

I agree with that.

Metal helped against barnacles,
weed, wood rot, etc., but the real reason was to keep sea worms out of the
wood.

Bottom paint is copper based to keep off barnacles. I never get any
barnacles on the bottom of my boat.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.

I repeat...your boat is in fresh water...there are no barnacles...only
zebra mussels...
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Barnacles won't grow on a prop that gets run every week or so.

I wish that were true. My boat gets launched in April. It gets "run"
2-3 times a week. By July I have a coral reef on the prop and shaft.
What I cannot figure out is after I clean everything off the first
time in July later dives under the boat and after the water has been
warmer for a longer period of time I hardly have any growth on the
prop. What's with that?

prop paint Scotty Cruising 19 September 29th 07 01:25 PM
Bottom Paint ,,, 20 layers of Bottom Paint ,,, how to remove it. Thomas Wentworth Cruising 33 April 12th 06 12:31 AM
Bottom paint on prop beaufortnc Cruising 50 December 1st 05 12:41 AM
Antifouling paint reacts with gloss paint. ARGHH! Stu Knowles Boat Building 7 August 3rd 04 11:31 PM
What paint to use Pat Boat Building 10 March 16th 04 01:43 PM