posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
[email protected] dougking888@yahoo.com is offline

Default prop paint

I'm surprised at Joe's suggestion, which will cause electrolysis
corrosion on the prop. If you're going to paint your prop with anti-
fouling, you need to either prime it first OR use a non-metal-based
anti-fouling.

"Sammy" wrote:
I guess it just depends on the prop material and the type of paint.

Yep, that's what I said

Barnacles won't grow on a prop that gets run every week or so.

You don't live in an area of active barnacle growth, then.

That would be incorrect. Barnacles grow just fine in our home waters.

Here on the
Central East coast of Florida, 3 days can have small barnacles attaching
themselves.

Sure, but how small? And how much hard shell growth at the point of
attachment? If the prop is run up to speed every week, then you will
see only small barnacles around the hub pretty much indefinitely. Try
it.

Even with good bottom paint, if you want to win races, you wipe
the bottom before every race.

Or dry sail.... but that's true everywhere, even in fresh water. All
kinds of stuff besides barnacles grows on the hull of a a boat, and
none of it makes the boat go faster.

DSK