posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default i scream, you scream, ...

There is a lot of hype put about regarding the dangers of sun exposure
put about by those profiting from the cancer creation industry.
Remember for each person who dies of skin cancer 30 excess deaths
occur in the most common cancers breast prostate lung colon, These and
13 other cancers thrive in vitamin d depleted bodies.
Applying sunscreen/sunblock prevents UVB rays from reaching the skin.
Putting it on before you go out therefore totally prevents any vitamin
d being made.
This is why the average European woman has Vitamin d status around
50nmol/L, the level needed for maximum calcium absorption is 80nmol/L
and to have 50% less breast cancer it's best to have 130nmol/L. If the
advice from "Official" sources was correct we would not have the
current deficiency epidemic. 9 out of 10 UK White adults are below
75nomol/l in Winter and 60% remain so the whole year. If you take the
official RDA vitamin D and follow official RDA advice you will be
vitamin d deficient. Similarly if you rely on your doctor to correct
that deficiency you will be ill advised as they generally prescribe D2
Ergocalciferol and The Case Against Ergocalciferol as a Vitamin
Supplement explains why. http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/84/4/694

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...rch=1 7259988
DCs metabolize sunlight-induced vitamin D3 to 'program' T cell
attraction to the epidermal chemokine CCL27. explains how when UVB
rays touch your skin the first thing the newly made Vitamin D3 does is
to program your "T"Cells to start fighting skin cancer.

Vitamin D synthesis is a heat driven self-limiting process. This means
you need an erythemal index above 3 and UVB rays. These are only
present when your shadow is shorter than your height and if you live
above latitude 37 during the summer. The self-limiting bit means that
once the cholesterol in your skin is converted to vitamin d3 it then
should further heat be applied, be further processed into
suprasterols. These are not used. So to maximise your vitamin D
production you need to GO INSIDE or COVER UP after 20 minutes. (you
will make 1000iu every 5 minutes so 20 minutes full body (or near as
possible) exposure provides the amount you use daily. If you are
trying to build stores for the Winter or rectify a deficiency
situation then wait an hour for your skin to cool and the vitamin d to
be absorbed then try for another 15 mins. But be aware 10,000iu is
about all that the body usually makes each day so is a natural
maximum. So 1x 20 + 2 x 15mins exposures are around the most anyone
can benefit from.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"tedhutchinson" wrote in message
ups.com...
There is a lot of hype put about regarding the dangers of sun exposure
put about by those profiting from the cancer creation industry.
Remember for each person who dies of skin cancer 30 excess deaths
occur in the most common cancers breast prostate lung colon, These and
13 other cancers thrive in vitamin d depleted bodies.

Oh what complete bs. Do you really believe that using sunscreen prevents all
UVB or UVA from getting through? Have you even read the literature? Unless
you have very dark skin, typically brown/black, and if you live in areas
that don't get much sun (like extreme north or south), you get plenty of
sun. Do you put on sunscreen walking to the car, to the mall, to the
mailbox?

Feel free to die of skin cancer if that's your choice....

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Aug 13, 4:51 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
We all scream for sunscreen...

What do you use? Maybe you should think about upgrading...

Consumer Reports rated Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch SPF 45 as the best
and the best buy as No-Ad Sunblock Lotion Maximum SPF 45. Both are highly
rated for UVA and UVB.

--
"j" ganz

I don't use any sun screen. I don't like being all greasy and in
fact, I think it's dangerous to be slip sliding around the boat.

To keep from burning I simply stay out of the sun as best I can.

Barb

s/v Arabella
www.sailinglinks.com

Current location: Rarotonga, Southern Cook Islands.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 14, 6:48 pm, ladysailor wrote:
On Aug 13, 4:51 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:

We all scream for sunscreen...

What do you use? Maybe you should think about upgrading...

Consumer Reports rated Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch SPF 45 as the best
and the best buy as No-Ad Sunblock Lotion Maximum SPF 45. Both are highly
rated for UVA and UVB.

--
"j" ganz

I don't use any sun screen. I don't like being all greasy and in
fact, I think it's dangerous to be slip sliding around the boat.

To keep from burning I simply stay out of the sun as best I can.

Barb

s/v Arabellawww.sailinglinks.com

Current location: Rarotonga, Southern Cook Islands.

http://www.cookislands.org.uk/image/...nga-aerial.jpg

Where are you anchored?
Are you fishing any?
Anything exotic/exciting happening?
How's Mike?
What sat phone are you guys using? You like it?

I agree on the sunscreen, everyone here working in the marina looks
like arabs with white cotton headresses (White T shirt cotton taped
on). I perfer a ball cap with a neck covering tail flap. No greasy
products. A covered wheelhouse is great to prevent skin cancer.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"ladysailor" wrote in message
ups.com...
I don't use any sun screen. I don't like being all greasy and in
fact, I think it's dangerous to be slip sliding around the boat.

Smart girl. You'll save lots of money that way. Considering the huge
expanse of surface area you have it would take gallons. :-)

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

ladysailor wrote:
On Aug 13, 4:51 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:

We all scream for sunscreen...

What do you use? Maybe you should think about upgrading...

Consumer Reports rated Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch SPF 45 as the best
and the best buy as No-Ad Sunblock Lotion Maximum SPF 45. Both are highly
rated for UVA and UVB.

--
"j" ganz

I don't use any sun screen. I don't like being all greasy and in
fact, I think it's dangerous to be slip sliding around the boat.

To keep from burning I simply stay out of the sun as best I can.

Barb

s/v Arabella
www.sailinglinks.com

Current location: Rarotonga, Southern Cook Islands.

Wow! The Cook Islands! envy envy Another thing that bothers me about
some of the lotions is that they are heavily perfumed...I do not like
walking around smelling like a pina colada, but the skeeters like it!
posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Aug 13, 4:51 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
We all scream for sunscreen...

What do you use? Maybe you should think about upgrading...

Consumer Reports rated Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch SPF 45 as the
best
and the best buy as No-Ad Sunblock Lotion Maximum SPF 45. Both are highly
rated for UVA and UVB.

--
"j" ganz

I don't use any sun screen. I don't like being all greasy and in
fact, I think it's dangerous to be slip sliding around the boat.

To keep from burning I simply stay out of the sun as best I can.

Barb

s/v Arabella
www.sailinglinks.com

Current location: Rarotonga, Southern Cook Islands.

I don't think most people use sunscreen on the bottoms of their feet, but if
that's what you do, I agree you should refrain. :-)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"katy" wrote in message
ladysailor wrote:
On Aug 13, 4:51 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:

[...]

You might want to be a bit more selective about the sunscreen. The good ones
tend to be oderless and non-greasy. Things have changed since 1952. :-)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Aug 13, 4:51 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:

[...]

Joe- Hide quoted text -

We are med moored to the quay in the town of Avarua on the island of
Rarotonga. It's a small little harbor with about six other cruising
boats here.

No, we don't do much fishing, it makes a mess of the decks and after
the third time we forgot to pull in the line before anchoring I hid
the fishing rod. Cutting fishing line off the prop is no fun!
Besides, fresh fish is plentiful in every port.

Not much excitement here, we are living "Island Time", slow and easy.
It was a bit exhilarating getting here though. Five day passage from
Bora Bora and all was well until the last 20 hours where we had 30
knot winds and 12 ft. seas. We were on a beam reach and with our rain
gear on we steered from the side with our backs to the wind and the
waves that washed over us. I found that it wasn't such a bad thing
when the warm ocean water filled our cockpit well to warm my cold
pruny feet.

Mike's great, just now he's up on deck working on his computer and in
fact just called me up to look at the weather forecast. It looks like
we are going to see some big wind this coming weekend, 35 knots
blowing straight into the harbor, ugh! I may be looking into hotel
accommodations for that little bit.

No, we don't have a sat phone. When we want to reach out and touch
someone we use the single side band or internet. While passage making
we usually check in with the Pacific Seafarers Net.

Kia Manula (May good fortune shine on you),

Barb

s/v Arabella
www.sailinglinks.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
We all scream for sunscreen...

What do you use? Maybe you should think about upgrading...

I make my own out of mayonnaise , horseradish sauce and
bacon grease. SPF is 72.

SBV