posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default i scream, you scream, ...

Capt. JG wrote:
"katy" wrote in message

Capt. JG wrote:

"katy" wrote in message

Capt. JG wrote:

We all scream for sunscreen...

What do you use? Maybe you should think about upgrading...

Consumer Reports rated Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch SPF 45 as the
best and the best buy as No-Ad Sunblock Lotion Maximum SPF 45. Both are
highly rated for UVA and UVB.

If you have any types of allergies, watch the No_Ad one...gave me little
blisters and bumps...I only use 15 when I use any at all....the ebst
protection agaisnt "bad rays" is to go unexposed fr the first 15
minutes...the bkody has its' own defense mechanism that triggers the
pigment in the skin to protect but only after 15 minutes...you also need
that amount of time to absorb Vitamin d...then after 15 minutes put on
the block or screen or whatever...I am most fortunate that I have olive
skin so don't burn very easily....

This isn't what dermatologists stay. You should be applying sunblock
15-20 minutes before exposure. Tanning in intense sun can take place in
much less than 15 minutes and no tanning is good. Where you get this
stuff, I have no idea.

I got it originally from a dermatologist on the Today SHow... but just in
case you don't know how to Google, put benefits of 15 minutes in the sun
into your search and see what happens..or read this to start:
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/30769.php

http://www.sunsmart.org.nz/skin-canc...-exposure.aspx

http://www.articleclick.com/Article/...unlight/919158

Why you aren't more well read is beyond me....

Katy, if you're outdoors at all... walking to your car, to the post office,
you're getting all you need. Promoting not putting sunscreen on when
boating, an enviroment that lends itself to intense sun exposure, is
downright dangerous.

You'd better shut yourself away in a cave, then, Jon...the world might
get you....
'

little blisters and bumps...I only use 15 when I use any at all....the
[...]

Insult me all you want, but I don't think listening to day-time TV is the
best place to find the facts.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"katy" wrote in message
Capt. JG wrote:
"katy" wrote in message

Capt. JG wrote:

We all scream for sunscreen...

What do you use? Maybe you should think about upgrading...

Consumer Reports rated Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch SPF 45 as the
best and the best buy as No-Ad Sunblock Lotion Maximum SPF 45. Both are
highly rated for UVA and UVB.

If you have any types of allergies, watch the No_Ad one...gave me little
blisters and bumps...I only use 15 when I use any at all....the ebst
protection agaisnt "bad rays" is to go unexposed fr the first 15
minutes...the bkody has its' own defense mechanism that triggers the
pigment in the skin to protect but only after 15 minutes...you also need
that amount of time to absorb Vitamin d...then after 15 minutes put on
the block or screen or whatever...I am most fortunate that I have olive
skin so don't burn very easily....

I have a friend who's skin was severely damaged from the sun, mainly
because she didn't follow siimple precautions, such as covering up,
staying out of the mid-day sun, and not applying sunscreen on a regular
basis. Feel free to damage your own skin, but I think I'll pass.

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdo.../risk/159.html
http://www.burnsurvivorsttw.org/articles/sundamage.html
http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/HQ/01462.html
http://www.aocd.org/skin/prevsun.html
http://telemedicine.org/sundam/sundam2.4.1.html

You always take everything to the extreme, Jon...no one said go stand out
in the midday sun frying yourself into human bacon. There are safe times
to be out. You ahve to watch the UV ratings for the day and apply whatever
you use in accordance with the conditions. Try not being such an
extremist...your shrieking hurts peoples ears.

You're the one who said to remain unprotected for 15 minutes. According to
the lit., you need cover up 15-20 minutes *before* exposure. Thus, with your
"plan," you'll get a full 1/2 hour before the protection. Doesn't sound very
temperate to me.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

little blisters and bumps...I only use 15 when I use any at all....the
[...]

I pointed out several websites that concurred with those facts....inslt?
I didn't see any insult...calling you a lame brain would be an
insult...I didn;t call you any names...I just suggested that maybe, if
the world is so scary to you, a cave might be a better place for you to
spend your time...
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Capt. JG wrote:
"katy" wrote in message

Capt. JG wrote:

"katy" wrote in message

Capt. JG wrote:

[...]

Like I said, you have to watch the variables, like the UV ratings for
the day, and you ahve to know your own tolerance...I can stay out for a
half hour and not tan...as can many people...many cannot...those wioth
very ;pink or pale skins suffer more from exposure....probelm with you
is tyhat you like to set black and white rules for everyone...and you
like to have everyone follow them because they're scared...sounds more
like you're trying to start a religion than offering adviise on
suntanning or exposure....

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"katy" wrote in message
Capt. JG wrote:
"katy" wrote in message

Capt. JG wrote:

"katy" wrote in message

Capt. JG wrote:

"katy" wrote in message

Capt. JG wrote:

[...]

1) "Why you aren't more well read is beyond me...."
2) "You'd better shut yourself away in a cave, then, Jon...the world might
get you...."

Endearing comments I presume?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

little blisters and bumps...I only use 15 when I use any at all....the
[...]

And your skin color... black/dark skin resists damage more than your lily
whites.

Sounds like you didn't read your own posted links.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

http://www.sunsmart.org.nz/skin-canc...nefits-of-sun-

exposure.aspx

http://www.articleclick.com/Article/...unlight/919158

Why you aren't more well read is beyond me....

To confuse the matter more, there have been some recent studies showing that sun block does prevent
sunburns, but might also increase the chances of skin cancers.

http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/c...ll/91/15/1263A

http://www.fitness-beauty-spa.com/sun.html#3

Then if you must use sun screens:

http://www.thegreenguide.com/doc/120/sunscreen
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"roger" wrote:
katy wrote:
Capt. JG wrote:
[...]

I used that No Ad crap on my face and neck before a job
interview. I
sat there looking like a toad with blisters and bumps on
my face and
neck. I didn't get the job.

Ocean Potion puts orange sweat marks and ring around the
collar on my
clothes. Bleach won't take the stains out but soaking
overnight in
Oxyclean does.

I tried Bull Frog, but if you don't put it on fast enough,
it dries
really fast and you look like you have pieces of dried
snot on your
face.

Now i use that spray on Bull Frog. I luv the stuff. It
doubles as
aftershave because it has alcohol in it and stings your
face. They
even have a version with Deet in it.

Lol, great testimonials! Think I'll stick with my Water
Babies! Lol...

Seahag

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Seahag wrote:
"roger" wrote:

katy wrote:

Capt. JG wrote:

[...]

Did you get the one that's purple until it soaks in? I bought some of
that for the kids and Mr Sails grabbed it instead of his
usaul...hahahahaha.....he always pours gobs on and it took him a while
before he stopped looking like Barney...I've been using Australian
Gold..it's not greasy and seems to do the trick...about the only
casualty I had this year was the rim of my ears when I was wearing a
baseball cap instead of a wide brim one day...