posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Etchells Repair Work Pictures

Just about everywhere anything was through-bolted on
my Etchells, I found core rot or wet core. I decided to take
some time off from sailing to bring the boat up to Bristol
standards. I have plans to use the boat in the last week
in August and I want it perfect by then.

You know how core gets wet, people tighten things up
crush the core more and it just keeps spreading. I decided
to cut up a 24" and 28" piece of 3/8" fiberglass panel to
replace the balsa core under all deck fittings. The idea
being, this will prevent any ingress of water into my balsa
core. I will not use any bedding for any deck hardware,
and of course you should never bed the bottom, as you
want the water to find it's way though.

Pictures.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/560166062GlPvzp

Neat video showing what wet core looks like and rotten core.

http://good-times.webshots.com/video...01903646kvMSDv

Question. What is the music playing in the background?
Who is the artist?

More pictures to follow later.

Bart

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 5, 2:55 pm, Bart wrote:
[...]

Thanks Bart. Now I remember why steel is better...;0)

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 12:55:42 -0700, Bart
wrote:

[...]

Been there, done that.

mine was a result of poor design in that some of the fasteners for
minor holding, (main hatch cowl, head vent, etc) were screwed into the
core, but not all the way through. Big mistake. let water into the
core, but no chance to get all the way through.

I did all the repairs with epoxy, rather than polyester material.
What will you do?

Frank
posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Aug 5, 9:30 pm, Joe wrote:
On Aug 5, 2:55 pm, Bart wrote:

[...]

Steel is real, but glass is class!

I'm really looking forward to making the boat look
perfect. For example, I have too pretty good
compasses, but I'm changing them out for newer
ones without the checkering in the lens. And I
am thrilled about the fact I can forget about core
damage in the future.

I have the itchy and scratchies right now--I don't
mind.

Today I ground off most the the gel coat on the deck.
I am adding one more layer of glass to the
deck and the last part is fixing the cracks around
the lip of the cockpit. I have a couple ideas on how
to do that best. Two thirds of the bottom
paint is sanded off. There are only a few defects
in the hull to be repaired. I'll be picking up primer
soon, and I then comes the fun part painting the
hull. I'll probably put gel coat back on the deck.
I have a cool way to do non-skid.

I have a few other things to do. HOOT had a
hollow rectangle to mount the base of a boom
crutch. That part broke and I fabricated a new
one out of a solid 3x5" block of 1.25" thick
fiberglass. Even though I drilled small holes
everywhere, close enough to nearly touch,
I wore out four jig saw blades cutting out the
center. These fiberglass panels are tough!

I am mounting a depth finder and building a battery
mount. I'd like to sail near the islands here, and
can't risk running aground. These boats are hard
to free from a grounding.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Aug 6, 7:01 am, OzOne wrote:
On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 12:55:42 -0700, Bart
scribbled thusly:

[...]

Hey Bart,
What is the hull number of your boat?
Seems like a lot of damage.

With my Etchells, all small holes are drilled slightly oversize then
thru bolts and inside of the hole coated with epoxy then mounted.
Larger holes have core scraped back under the inner and outer skins
then filled with epoxy.

Important to spray threads with a release agent, WD40 or Silicone
spray before coating so they can be screwed out later.

Not a great fan of the "leave the bottom open to let water out"
theory, as much damage is done by capillary action drawing water up as
water flowing down..

Hull number is 83. The boat was built in 1973 or so. So it has
seen better days.

Thanks for the tip about waxing the threads. That is a good
idea.

I would use your method if I was re-bedding my hardware. I choose
to put the bigger pieces in there because I had the material
handy.

I still believe in letting the water through on an open boat like
this. There is no risk of damaging anything else inside the
boat. However, here in Connecticut, freezing action is a serioius
concern. Any water in between the deck anywhere can
start a crack when frozen, and that will lead to more extensive
damage. Do you have freezing weather where you live?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Oz,

Do you have any pictures of your Jib fine trim
rigging?

Bart

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Bart" wrote in message

You know how core gets wet, people tighten things up
crush the core more and it just keeps spreading. I decided
to cut up a 24" and 28" piece of 3/8" fiberglass panel to
replace the balsa core under all deck fittings. The idea
being, this will prevent any ingress of water into my balsa
core. I will not use any bedding for any deck hardware,
and of course you should never bed the bottom, as you
want the water to find it's way though.

Isn't this the way things should be done in the first place, Bart? Why do
manufacturers--Catalina and Huneter, for examples, put wood--generally
ply--under hardware attach points? Why not solid fiberglass, or even rigid,
closed-cell foam? Do any manufacturers do it that way?

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Aug 6, 4:10 pm, "Maxprop" wrote:
"Bart" wrote in message
You know how core gets wet, people tighten things up
crush the core more and it just keeps spreading. I decided
to cut up a 24" and 28" piece of 3/8" fiberglass panel to
replace the balsa core under all deck fittings. The idea
being, this will prevent any ingress of water into my balsa
core. I will not use any bedding for any deck hardware,
and of course you should never bed the bottom, as you
want the water to find it's way though.

Isn't this the way things should be done in the first place, Bart? Why do
manufacturers--Catalina and Huneter, for examples, put wood--generally
ply--under hardware attach points? Why not solid fiberglass, or even rigid,
closed-cell foam? Do any manufacturers do it that way?

Max

You are right Max. I read an article about people
touring the Valiant plant which was under new
ownership. They found that these people were doing
it the wrong way. Of course they swore they'd make
changes--but when it takes more time, and cost more
and the new buyer can't see it, they have little motivation
to do the job right in the first place.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Bart" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 6, 4:10 pm, "Maxprop" wrote:
"Bart" wrote in message
[...]

Unfortunate. Valiant builds an otherwise fine yacht.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Aug 6, 10:17 am, Bart wrote:
Oz,

Do you have any pictures of your Jib fine trim
rigging?

Bart

Never mind Oz, I found it on the Harken web
site. They have a neat arrangement. I plan to
use it.

http://www.harken.com/rigtips/etchells22.php

Also a good mast mover system. Another thing
I need to rig.

The last thing I'm looking for is a mast butt
mover. Do you know where I can buy one?
Or do I have to build my own?

Trailer Repair work needed in Austin, TX GSS General 2 January 3rd 05 02:41 PM
Trailer Repair work needed in Austin, TX GSS Boat Building 2 January 3rd 05 02:41 PM
etchells gonefishiing ASA 2 July 29th 04 12:56 AM
canvas work and repair Monarch Canvas Cruising 8 April 1st 04 11:45 PM
Etchells Simple Simon ASA 0 July 9th 03 12:39 PM