posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default moment of zen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EsXSzXpE3w

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scout" wrote in message
. ..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EsXSzXpE3w

Ah... they are fantastic when they happen... I was sailing on my boat,
tacking up Raccoon Straight last year, and fell into the zen zone. It lasted
through the five or so tacks, with me sitting on the low side, some
customers sitting on the high side enjoying the ride and keeping watch for
me. My hand was in the water or close on each tack. The boat was perfectly
balanced and the people were mostly quiet with an occasional, "there's a
boat." Probably the "moment" lasted 20 minutes, but the feeling kept with
all of us the rest of the day.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scout" wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EsXSzXpE3w

Very nice. The benefits of shallow draft are amazing, eh?

BTW we had a not-so-excellent adventure in Great Bay
http://dnkcruising.blogspot.com/2007...ersey-icw.html

On the whole it's been a great trip and perhaps we should have done
more of the "inside route" in Jersey. However we will be back!

BTW do you stow the mast-raising pole on board?

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message
ps.com...
"Scout" wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EsXSzXpE3w

Very nice. The benefits of shallow draft are amazing, eh?

BTW we had a not-so-excellent adventure in Great Bay
http://dnkcruising.blogspot.com/2007...ersey-icw.html

On the whole it's been a great trip and perhaps we should have done
more of the "inside route" in Jersey. However we will be back!

BTW do you stow the mast-raising pole on board?

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Doug,
Too bad our timing was off, would have been a great time to meet up!
http://sports.webshots.com/photo/214...97509592kZrFtZ
So far, I haven't carried the mast-raising pole on board.
Looks like you're having the trip of a lifetime )
Scout

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message
ps.com...
"Scout" wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EsXSzXpE3w

Very nice. The benefits of shallow draft are amazing, eh?

BTW we had a not-so-excellent adventure in Great Bay
http://dnkcruising.blogspot.com/2007...ersey-icw.html

On the whole it's been a great trip and perhaps we should have done
more of the "inside route" in Jersey. However we will be back!

BTW do you stow the mast-raising pole on board?

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

I figured fishermen everywhere were rude and inconsiderate but after reading
your blog I wonder if it's a Jersey thing. No matter how narrow the channel,
the fishermen here love to block it and fish. They spread themselves out
making it a challenge to sail through, then give dirty looks when it's a
close pass.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scout" wrote in message
. ..

I figured fishermen everywhere were rude and inconsiderate

but after reading
your blog I wonder if it's a Jersey thing. No matter how

narrow the channel,
the fishermen here love to block it and fish. They spread

themselves out
making it a challenge to sail through, then give dirty

looks when it's a
close pass.

When you say fishermen, are you referring to the pros or
those rude drunken A-holes who drag line behind their power
boats. We have a lot of the latter on the Chessy.

Scotty...trolling is not trawling

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..

"Scout" wrote in message
. ..

I figured fishermen everywhere were rude and inconsiderate

but after reading
your blog I wonder if it's a Jersey thing. No matter how

narrow the channel,
the fishermen here love to block it and fish. They spread

themselves out
making it a challenge to sail through, then give dirty

looks when it's a
close pass.

When you say fishermen, are you referring to the pros or
those rude drunken A-holes who drag line behind their power
boats. We have a lot of the latter on the Chessy.

Scotty...trolling is not trawling

That's true, so I'm referring to the drunken A-holes. I know just two pro
fishermen. One was the guy in my video (with the NZ hat) who was the
engineer on a fishing boat, and the other is a former president of the PA
Bass Assoc. I can't see either one arguing that the best place to fish is
drifting back and forth across a busy, 50 yard wide channel.
Scout

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scout" wrote:
That's true, so I'm referring to the drunken A-holes. I know just two pro
fishermen. One was the guy in my video (with the NZ hat) who was the
engineer on a fishing boat, and the other is a former president of the PA
Bass Assoc. I can't see either one arguing that the best place to fish is
drifting back and forth across a busy, 50 yard wide channel.

Well, I've seen trawlers (the working kind) dragging nets back & forth
across the ICW channel; that makes it kind of difficult. But they're
usually too busy to give you a dirty look and they don't care how
close you pass, as long as you don't actually hit them or mess up the
trawling gear.

Anyway, our experience in NJ is that almost everyone in a boat is rude
& in a big hurry.... not just the fishermen.... kind of like the way
they drive their cars. The exceptions are all the more notable.

It's a shame we didn't get a chance to meet up, although it looks like
you all enjoy slightly shallower water than we can. There are some
lovely spots in the NJ sounds & rivers, we wanted to spend more time
there but had to hurry along. I hope it's not "the trip of a lifetime"
since we want to continue some long term cruising... in fact we
consider this to be sort of a scouting trip for places to come back &
spend more time... but it has been a really awesome trip..

BTW we did visit with Marty and his place is awesome.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa

ups.com...

"Scout" wrote:
[...]

Are you able to post while on the move? If so, how so?
Scout

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote:

BTW we did visit with Marty and his place is awesome.

Well, thank you, y'all are right decent folks too! ;-), and make a
fabulous sweet potato pie!

Cheers
Marty

The Dumpster is shut down...for the moment. John Gaquin General 10 November 15th 04 03:09 AM
( OT ) A Cronkite Moment? Jim General 0 May 9th 04 12:03 AM
Blonde moment Leanne Cruising 0 November 24th 03 01:46 AM
Your favorite boating moment. noah General 4 July 20th 03 05:05 PM