Jim

Default ( OT ) A Cronkite Moment?

http://www.tompaine.com/feature2.cfm/ID/10353

Extract

A quick history reminder: On Feb. 27 1968, Cronkite anchored a CBS special
on the Vietnam War, concluding that: "To say that we are closer to victory
today is to believe, in the face of the evidence, the optimists who have
been wrong in the past. To say that we are mired in a bloody stalemate seems
the only realistic, yet unsatisfactory conclusion." Bill Moyers, at the time
President Lyndon Johnson's press secretary, reported later that Cronkite's
statement led Johnson to believe that, if he had lost Cronkite's support, he
had lost the support of middle America.

"Both did their duty for their country, but I wonder if their country did
its duty for them. Tillman died in Afghanistan, a war with no end in sight
and not enough troops to finish the job. Bates died in Iraq, a war that
began with no just cause and continues with no just reason.
Be proud that sports produce men like this.

But I, for one, am furious that these wars keep taking them."