posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Hey Jeff

You said a Mac26X wouldn't go 20mph with a 50H Honda. Well you were wrong.
I was looking through a Mac site and I found this:
http://macgregorsailors.com/cgi-bin/...iew&record=258

24mph with empty ballast and 18 with full. What have you got to say for
yourself now, man?

--
Cheerio,
Ed Gordon
posted to alt.sailing.asa

* Ed Gordon wrote, On 6/10/2007 2:03 PM:
You said a Mac26X wouldn't go 20mph with a 50H Honda. Well you were wrong.
I was looking through a Mac site and I found this:
http://macgregorsailors.com/cgi-bin/...iew&record=258

24mph with empty ballast and 18 with full. What have you got to say for
yourself now, man?

Sorry. I don't believe everything I read in the Internet, do you?
Lots of people have been known to exaggerate just a bit.

Be that as it may, this report is from a 26X, not the current 26M
which is a bit slower. The boat is light, "loaded for an overnight,"
which to me means virtually empty. AND, the ballast tank was empty.
Remember that with no ballast, people are warned to sit quietly in the
middle of the cockpit, staying low and aft. No standing up. Sorry,
you can't go to the head. And for God's sake don't you even think of
going up on deck! This should only be attempted when others are
around and rescue is sure to be quick. And never when the water is
cold, and certainly not if the waves are over 12 inches. All of these
warnings come directly from the MacGregor site. And we know that
people die when the Mac warnings are ignored, and Ed claims we
shouldn't blame the boat if this happens.

And I'll add this report from a dealer:

http://www.bwyachts.com/Engine%20Choices.htm

His comment about the Honda:
"Honda 50hp engine: All modern four stroke engines are reliable, quiet
and good on gas. The Honda engine does not perform to the standard we
were looking for though. It does not have good low end torque and
hence does not get the boat moving fast or find the top speed we were
looking for."
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Jeff wrote in
:

[...]

You can't make an idiot-proof boat. Just like your catamaran. If you
stood twenty people on one side it would probably capsize. Or if you got
sideways in big 20-foot seas it would probably capsize too. You've gotta
know the limits of your boat. If you don't it's your own fault.

And didn't you see that picture of the propeller that guy had on his
Honda 50 that made it go so good. The propeller on a stock Honda 50 is
wrong for the Mac it's for higher speeds. You need a torque prop on the
Mac to let the motor rev and produce power in the right RPM range. My
old Mac26X must have had the right propeller on it because it went
twenty mph all the time with the throttle wide open. It was more
comfortable though backing it down to about 15 mph.

Jeff the Liar Capt. Rob ASA 3 April 20th 07 02:08 AM
How Jeff feels about his Yacht....a repost Capt. Rob ASA 24 October 29th 06 04:57 AM
Jeff...the Sailor??? Capt. Rob ASA 20 October 25th 06 05:33 PM
Sail Report-35s5 meets it's match! Capt. Rob ASA 54 July 21st 06 05:07 PM
Serious question for Jeff JAXAshby ASA 14 March 15th 04 01:10 PM