posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Men are totally incompetent!

On Jun 4, 2:31 pm, Ed Gordon wrote:
Bill wrote groups.com:

Here's the exact quote: Exodus 14:21 says, "And Moses stretched out
his hand over the sea; and the Lord caused the sea to go back by a
strong east wind all that night, and made the sea dry land, and the
waters were divided." KJV

I guess whoever wrote that book was no sailor.

Wilbur Hubbard-

Except the exact quote was written in Aramaic, not English so the
translator could have been wrong.

I know all about the Bible. Exodus wasn't written in Aramaic. It was
written in Hebrew. Moses was a Jew. The man didn't speak Aramaic, he
spook Hebrew. That's how the slang for Jews got started. Some people
call Jews "Hebes" short for Hebrew.

But that's interesting about the east wind. Sounds like it shoulda been
a west wind. I don't think translators were stupid enough to change east
to west. I agree it's a mistake. Probably Moses dictated it wrong or
maybe way back in his day when they said east wind maybe they meant wind
blowing towards the east?

--
Cheerio,
Ed Gordonhttp://www.egordon873.homestead.com/drug.html

Sorry wrong part of the bible. Your right. But the point is that
maybe the translation was suppossed to be, as someone else suggested,
'Sea of Reeds' in which case there may not have been a body of water
involved at all and the direction could be correct. Or maybe the
person that made up the story didn't know their geography well enought
to get the story right.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Bill wrote in
ups.com:

[...]

No no no. There's no question the Exodus was going east. Any body of
water they had to cross was on their east. Why would they cross a body
of water that was on their west? Sea of Reeds, Red Sea no matter the
name the body of water had to be to the east of the Exodus or there
would be little reason to go across it. Check out the maps in the Bible
and you'll see what I mean.

--
Cheerio,
Ed Gordon
http://www.egordon873.homestead.com/drug.html
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in
:

"Vito" wrote in message
"Ed Gordon" wrote
: Begging your pardon but she's full of it. Moses wandered in the
desert
: forty years to let a new generation who might follow God's orders
enjoy
: the promised land which God denied to the old timers who didn't
follow
: his rules. They saw giants and chickened out. Made God mad. God let
an
: entire generation of skeptics die before rewarding their offspring
with
: the promised land. It says it all in Exodus. You should read it.
:
Only problem with that is that there is no physical or DNA evidence
to support the Moses myth. But we do know that the original
(Hebrew?) version
says Moses parted a sea of reeds, not the Red Sea. And no, there was
never
ever a great flood that covered the world.

Maybe you're confused. In Ed's defense, he's correct. And what's the
flood got to do with parting the Red Sea? That was during Noah's time.
Many generations before Moses came along. But the Bible is wrong in
Exodus. Check it out where it says the Lord caused an East wind to
blow all night and this pushed back the Red Sea so they could walk
across it. If you look at the maps in the Bible you can see Moses was
on the West side of the narrow arm of the Red sea. He and his exodus
were going east. An east wind would have blown the Red Sea right into
their laps and not back as the Bible says.

Here's the exact quote: Exodus 14:21 says, "And Moses stretched out
his hand over the sea; and the Lord caused the sea to go back by a
strong east wind all that night, and made the sea dry land, and the
waters were divided." KJV

I guess whoever wrote that book was no sailor.

Wilbur Hubbard

Thanks. It's pretty easy to see some of these people never read the
Bible or never took Bible Study classes. But they ramble on about boats
and they don't have a klue there either so I'm not surprised.

--
Cheerio,
Ed Gordon
http://www.egordon873.homestead.com/drug.html
posted to alt.sailing.asa

No no no. There's no question the Exodus was going east. Any body of
water they had to cross was on their east. Why would they cross a body
of water that was on their west? Sea of Reeds, Red Sea no matter the
name the body of water had to be to the east of the Exodus or there
would be little reason to go across it. Check out the maps in the Bible
and you'll see what I mean.

I'm not that familiar with Exodus so please enlighten me. Where were
they going to and where did they come from? i thought they were going
from Egypt to what later bacame Israel. I may be wrong on the
destination but I am pretty sure they started in Egypt. I saw the ten
commandments years ago but I really don't remember. Now if they left
Egypt and crossed the Red Sea, according to you they went East. Is
that right?

Bill

posted to alt.sailing.asa

I'm not that familiar with Exodus so please enlighten me. Where were
they going to and where did they come from? i thought they were going
from Egypt to what later bacame Israel. I may be wrong on the
destination but I am pretty sure they started in Egypt. I saw the ten
commandments years ago but I really don't remember. Now if they left
Egypt and crossed the Red Sea, according to you they went East. Is
that right?

Now they are traveling East and the wind starts to blow From the East
or to the East? Does the wind blow all of the water out of the sea?
How come it doesn't blow north or south to push the water out of the
way but rather in the direction of travel?

My point earlier about the name being wrong is that if it was sea of
reeds it may not have been a body of water at all. It could have been
a large field of reeds growing somewhere, in which case it could have
been west. There are way to many inconsistencies here to just accept
as truth not to mention that it wasn't even a first hand account. The
story was passed down for generations verbally and then written
later.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Bill wrote in
ups.com:

No no no. There's no question the Exodus was going east. Any body of
water they had to cross was on their east. Why would they cross a
body of water that was on their west? Sea of Reeds, Red Sea no matter
the name the body of water had to be to the east of the Exodus or
there would be little reason to go across it. Check out the maps in
the Bible and you'll see what I mean.

I'm not that familiar with Exodus so please enlighten me. Where were
they going to and where did they come from? i thought they were going
from Egypt to what later bacame Israel. I may be wrong on the
destination but I am pretty sure they started in Egypt. I saw the ten
commandments years ago but I really don't remember. Now if they left
Egypt and crossed the Red Sea, according to you they went East. Is
that right?

Bill

They were finally freed by Pharoe because God sent plague after plague
on Pharoe. Faroe then had second thoughts because he was losing all his
slaves which were his workforce. So he sent his army after them.

The Bible says Moses people headed south to the promised land. South and
east to be exact toward Mt. Sinai and the land of Sin. But one arm of
the Red Sea was blocking their way into the wilderness of Shur which
they had to cross to get to Mt. Sinai.

So they had to go east across the northwest arm of the Red Sea,, yes
that's right, exactly right.

--
Cheerio,
Ed Gordon
http://www.egordon873.homestead.com/drug.html
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Bill wrote in
ups.com:

No no no. There's no question the Exodus was going east. Any body of
water they had to cross was on their east. Why would they cross a
body of water that was on their west? Sea of Reeds, Red Sea no matter
the name the body of water had to be to the east of the Exodus or
there would be little reason to go across it. Check out the maps in
the Bible and you'll see what I mean.

I'm not that familiar with Exodus so please enlighten me. Where were
they going to and where did they come from? i thought they were going
from Egypt to what later bacame Israel. I may be wrong on the
destination but I am pretty sure they started in Egypt. I saw the ten
commandments years ago but I really don't remember. Now if they left
Egypt and crossed the Red Sea, according to you they went East. Is
that right?

Bill

They came from the land of Goshen near the Nile delta where they worked
as slaves growing and gathering crops and other slave work like building
roads and cities, etc. Yes, they were doing an exodus from Egypt and
would eventually settle in the promised land which is around Isreal but
they took a circuitous route to get there so they wouldn't be tempted by
the people who worshipped false gods along the direct route. This is the
way Moses and an angel of God lead them. They followed, some
begrudgingly. It was a hardship all this travel through desert lands on
short rations. Even water was hard to find and God had to provide a
spring from time to time and manna from heaven so they didn't starve.