posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats

Default Power or sail

I have sailed for 20 years and recently started power boating on my
new home built Tolman Skiff. I havent sailed since early December and
have been testing out the Tolman. I did notice that after a day of
power boating, exploring rivers, and the nearby islands I really didnt
have any feeling of accomplishment but we had fun anyway.
Today I took my 28' S2 sailboat out singlehanded. Good wind about 16
kts and since I was singlehanded I decided to reef (It also looked as
if it was going to pick up). Had a great sail with long periods of
over 6 kts and discovered several problems with my single handed setup
and found some probs in my reefing system so it was good.. When I got
back in, I felt great. I felt as if figuring out all I have to do to
single hand sail was an accomplishment. This was a totally diff
feeling from the power boat. I also found that sailing is real work
compared to power boating and I was tired from being out of shape.
I cannot say I prefer one or the other and will continue to do both
but going back to sailing after a brief hiatus, it was a real surprise
how much exercise it is and how I felt afterwards.

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

You can always power boat. I'll sail until I can't handle it anymore and
then join the infernal contraption gang.

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats

On 3 Mar 2007 17:01:29 -0800, "Frogwatch"
wrote:

[...]

Cool. As you know, two different animals, each approached and
appreciated differently. From what you've written in the past, you
seem happiest under sail.
Is there a boat that can sail well and still move under power
economically?
Preferably shallow draft.
Preferably $30k.

--Vic

wrote:

[...]

I strongly suspect that the power boat will be used mostly in the
warmer months when there is very little wind and we also need to
quickly run from thunderstorms.

wrote:

[...]

I would appreciate owning both a 35 foot cabin cruiser and a 38 to 40'
sailing yacht. The cabin cruiser would be great for those quick
jaunts to the islands gathering spots when just going for a day or so
and the sailboat would be great for the time when I can actually take
a long weekend or week and go somewhere leisurely. I believe they
both have their place, but sailing is definitely much more
romanticizing to the soul!

Brian Swan
http://www.usedboatyard.com

Maxprop's a freaking jerk liar.... Ellen MacArthur ASA 22 January 20th 07 04:52 PM
J35 Sail for Sail Capt. Rob ASA 2 August 17th 06 11:32 PM
Evaluating old sails DSK Cruising 15 December 27th 05 07:13 AM
tyvek (long) William R. Watt Boat Building 2 June 30th 04 05:09 AM
power vs sail O:P\) Cruising 36 March 18th 04 02:27 AM