posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats
Frogwatch Frogwatch is offline

Default Power or sail

I have sailed for 20 years and recently started power boating on my
new home built Tolman Skiff. I havent sailed since early December and
have been testing out the Tolman. I did notice that after a day of
power boating, exploring rivers, and the nearby islands I really didnt
have any feeling of accomplishment but we had fun anyway.
Today I took my 28' S2 sailboat out singlehanded. Good wind about 16
kts and since I was singlehanded I decided to reef (It also looked as
if it was going to pick up). Had a great sail with long periods of
over 6 kts and discovered several problems with my single handed setup
and found some probs in my reefing system so it was good.. When I got
back in, I felt great. I felt as if figuring out all I have to do to
single hand sail was an accomplishment. This was a totally diff
feeling from the power boat. I also found that sailing is real work
compared to power boating and I was tired from being out of shape.
I cannot say I prefer one or the other and will continue to do both
but going back to sailing after a brief hiatus, it was a real surprise
how much exercise it is and how I felt afterwards.