posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Goals for this Coming Season

Nathan Branden wrote:
I'm curious if anyone else has set goals for the coming sailing
season. Maybe enter a few more races, take a few more pictures, avoid
a few more shoals, go somewhere or develop a new skill. What is your
goal for this year? Mine is transiting under sail a local inlet during
peak tidal flow. May not sound like much but it is a white knuckler
for me and will help build confidence. Let's hear about what you hope
for this year.

Nathan

We're planning a couple of cruises this summer since Mr Sails doesn't
have to teach or take any classes...first will probably be out to
Ocracoke...I would like to sail up to Manteo, but there's some pretty
skinny water up there so we'll have to see...
posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 18:06:26 -0500, katy wrote
(in article ):

Nathan Branden wrote:
I'm curious if anyone else has set goals for the coming sailing
season. Maybe enter a few more races, take a few more pictures, avoid
a few more shoals, go somewhere or develop a new skill. What is your
goal for this year? Mine is transiting under sail a local inlet during
peak tidal flow. May not sound like much but it is a white knuckler
for me and will help build confidence. Let's hear about what you hope
for this year.

Nathan

We're planning a couple of cruises this summer since Mr Sails doesn't
have to teach or take any classes...first will probably be out to
Ocracoke...I would like to sail up to Manteo, but there's some pretty
skinny water up there so we'll have to see...

Its not that skinny. The key is that it is consistently skinny with no real
drastic changes. Plenty of water on Albemarle Sound. My boat draws 5" and I
have had no problems.

--
Mundo, The Captain who is a bully and an ass

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Nathan Branden wrote:

[...]

I assume you mean 5'? We draft just under 6' so have to watch it....
posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 18:33:50 -0500, katy wrote
(in article ):

Nathan Branden wrote:

[...]

Still lots of water. My fathers boat drew 6'4" and we did just fine. There is
a lot of commercial traffic, fishing boats and tugs that keep the
thoroughfares pretty clear. Ocracoke is a great place. Enjoy. Where is the
boat? What is it?

--
Mundo, The Captain who is a bully and an ass

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Nathan Branden wrote:

[...]

Same boat we had in Michigan...Kirie Elite...we slip her down in New
Bern, same place as Doug's tug...

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Nathan Branden wrote:

[...]

I seem to recall that Pamlico Sound has a mean depth of around 18', and it's
relatively consistent.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Maxprop wrote:

[...]

Look at a chart..there are some really shallow places...
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Nathan Branden wrote:
I'm curious if anyone else has set goals for the coming sailing
season. Maybe enter a few more races, take a few more pictures, avoid
a few more shoals, go somewhere or develop a new skill.

A few more races, develop a few more skills. There is always more to
learn.

What is your
goal for this year? Mine is transiting under sail a local inlet during
peak tidal flow.

That doesn't sound like a good idea. It would smarter to work up a
table of local observations to allow you to predict & work local
currents more accurately.

katysails wrote
We're planning a couple of cruises this summer since Mr Sails doesn't
have to teach or take any classes...first will probably be out to
Ocracoke...I would like to sail up to Manteo, but there's some pretty
skinny water up there so we'll have to see...

There are some low bridges also.

Mundo wrote:
Its not that skinny. The key is that it is consistently skinny with no real
drastic changes.

???
Except for the shallow spots, sure.

Plenty of water on Albemarle Sound. My boat draws 5" and I
have had no problems.

Well, sure. Five inches is pretty shallow draft. There are quite a few
channels but also quite a few shoals around the whole NC coast,
although you're correct that the Albemarle is a bit less tricky than
most of the rest. Ever been up to Columbia? Pretty little town, great
anchorage. The waters around Currituck & Roanoke Island have a lot of
shoals and currents though.

-signed- Injun Ear (formerly known as Eagle Eye)

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Mundo wrote:

Its not that skinny. The key is that it is consistently skinny with no real
drastic changes.

???
Except for the shallow spots, sure.

Plenty of water on Albemarle Sound. My boat draws 5" and I
have had no problems.

Well, sure. Five inches is pretty shallow draft. There are quite a few
channels but also quite a few shoals around the whole NC coast,
although you're correct that the Albemarle is a bit less tricky than
most of the rest. Ever been up to Columbia? Pretty little town, great
anchorage. The waters around Currituck & Roanoke Island have a lot of
shoals and currents though.

-signed- Injun Ear (formerly known as Eagle Eye)

Forget Manteo, then...will have t get a chart out and plot according to
the availibility of water...and lack of low bridges...I think we sit
right at 45 ft with the mast...naybe a bit more...
posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 00:05:46 -0500, katy wrote
(in article ):

Still lots of water. My fathers boat drew 6'4" and we did just fine.
There is a lot of commercial traffic, fishing boats and tugs that keep
the thoroughfares pretty clear. Ocracoke is a great place. Enjoy. Where
is the boat? What is it?

Same boat we had in Michigan...Kirie Elite...we slip her down in New Bern,
same place as Doug's tug...

I seem to recall that Pamlico Sound has a mean depth of around 18', and
it's
relatively consistent.

Max

Look at a chart..there are some really shallow places...

Listen Carefully....... STAY AWAY FROM THE SHALLOW PLACES......

--
Mundo, The Captain who is a bully and an ass

2006 Hurricane Season Over Gilligan ASA 14 November 29th 06 03:20 PM
2006 End of Season First Season report Capt. Rob ASA 0 October 17th 06 12:15 PM
Early end to season Wally ASA 14 November 17th 04 07:36 PM
Last trip of the season RGrew176 General 4 October 20th 03 04:49 PM