posted to alt.sailing.asa
katy katy is offline

Default Goals for this Coming Season

wrote:
Nathan Branden wrote:

I'm curious if anyone else has set goals for the coming sailing
season. Maybe enter a few more races, take a few more pictures, avoid
a few more shoals, go somewhere or develop a new skill.

A few more races, develop a few more skills. There is always more to
learn.

What is your
goal for this year? Mine is transiting under sail a local inlet during
peak tidal flow.

That doesn't sound like a good idea. It would smarter to work up a
table of local observations to allow you to predict & work local
currents more accurately.

katysails wrote

We're planning a couple of cruises this summer since Mr Sails doesn't
have to teach or take any classes...first will probably be out to
Ocracoke...I would like to sail up to Manteo, but there's some pretty
skinny water up there so we'll have to see...

There are some low bridges also.

Mundo wrote:

Its not that skinny. The key is that it is consistently skinny with no real
drastic changes.

???
Except for the shallow spots, sure.

Plenty of water on Albemarle Sound. My boat draws 5" and I
have had no problems.

Well, sure. Five inches is pretty shallow draft. There are quite a few
channels but also quite a few shoals around the whole NC coast,
although you're correct that the Albemarle is a bit less tricky than
most of the rest. Ever been up to Columbia? Pretty little town, great
anchorage. The waters around Currituck & Roanoke Island have a lot of
shoals and currents though.

-signed- Injun Ear (formerly known as Eagle Eye)

Forget Manteo, then...will have t get a chart out and plot according to
the availibility of water...and lack of low bridges...I think we sit
right at 45 ft with the mast...naybe a bit more...