posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Default whipping or dipping?

Dave wrote:

As to Joe's back splicing, it's an abomination.

Coming from a guy missing "goop" and being forced to do it correctly...
I'm not to suprised you miss the benefits and superiority of back
splicing as opposed to whipping or dipping.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Well, I liked the simplicity of the squirty cheeze approach, but I like the
looks of whipping more. I think for fender lines I don't care that much, but
for other lines I do.

Melting the ends doesn't really do it. Seems to make things ugly and
difficult to do it right. Also, I don't like using fire on a boat if I don't
have to.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"DSK" wrote in message
. ..
"Capt. JG" wrote...

I have several lines on my boat that were whipped properly, and they're a
beautiful sight. However, when I replaced my fender lines recently, I
dipped the ends instead of taking the time to whip them. So far, it seems
just fine, the only difference seeming to be the asthetic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whipping_knot

or

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...key=SiteSearch

(http://tinyurl.com/ycx7os)

You're asking *us*?

Seahag wrote:
You _know_ the right thing to do.

Dang skippy.
Takes time though.

I was on a lovely boat years ago, he'd whipped. parceled, and served most
everything in sight. There were little tiny puddings on the shrouds
where the sheets would have chafed. Very tidy yacht.

It takes time & practice. I haven't done any rope work in a few years now,
though at one time we had quite a lot of fancy stuff around. It seems a
bit affected on a trawler. On the Lightning there was no end of
opportunity for fancy little splices and wall & crowns. We had the only
Matthew Walker'ed spinnaker sheet twings in the fleet.

Can squirty cheese be used instead of pudding?

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Joe wrote:
I'm not to suprised you miss the benefits and superiority of back
splicing as opposed to whipping or dipping.

I'm surprised you have anything less that STEEL rope on your
boat, Joe. Does back splicing prevent rust?

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Capt. JG wrote:
Well, I liked the simplicity of the squirty cheeze approach, but I like the
looks of whipping more. I think for fender lines I don't care that much, but
for other lines I do.

If you leave your fenders hanging overside while sailing, so
everybody can see them, you'd care more what they look like.

Melting the ends doesn't really do it. Seems to make things ugly and
difficult to do it right. Also, I don't like using fire on a boat if I don't
have to.

Do you have anything against the wheel, or other advanced
technologies??

Melting the ends doesn't get it for me, either. Some kinds
of modern rope will not melt. And it is difficult to get the
core melted in a way to bond with the cover, which results
in fraying in fairly short order.

The plastic goop has somewhat the same problem, it's better
if you can work it into the strands well. However one sure
cure for fraying rope ends is thinned epoxy resin... 'Cap'n
Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure' works very well (it's about
the only thing this stuff is good for). You have to give it
a few hours to set but it's less work than a proper whipping.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"DSK" wrote in message
Capt. JG wrote:
Well, I liked the simplicity of the squirty cheeze approach, but I like
the looks of whipping more. I think for fender lines I don't care that
much, but for other lines I do.

If you leave your fenders hanging overside while sailing, so everybody can
see them, you'd care more what they look like.

I think they'll be distracted by the lousy state of the fenders, which also
need something, probably replacement.

Melting the ends doesn't really do it. Seems to make things ugly and
difficult to do it right. Also, I don't like using fire on a boat if I
don't have to.

Do you have anything against the wheel, or other advanced technologies??

What's a wheel? Stone knives and bear skins are the only acceptable
technology on a sailboat. :-)

Melting the ends doesn't get it for me, either. Some kinds of modern rope
will not melt. And it is difficult to get the core melted in a way to bond
with the cover, which results in fraying in fairly short order.

The plastic goop has somewhat the same problem, it's better if you can
work it into the strands well. However one sure cure for fraying rope ends
is thinned epoxy resin... 'Cap'n Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure' works very
well (it's about the only thing this stuff is good for). You have to give
it a few hours to set but it's less work than a proper whipping.

Interesting... I'll try the Creeping Crack Cure stuff. I have a small bottle
of it. I did find it useful to find a gap in some bedding near a chainplate.
I rebedded, so I'm not relying on it.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Dave wrote:
On 27 Nov 2006 08:28:48 -0800, "Joe" said:

Coming from a guy missing "goop" and being forced to do it correctly...

No such thing as "correctly." It's whatever works for you. But to me at
least, the solution the BMCs used to refer to as a "dog's dick" is not the
"correct" solution.

OK Dave. But..... it's a donkey's Dick not a" dogs dick".
Geeeeeze...ya lazy line dipper.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Line whipping machine was whipping or dipping?

I think the most high tech approach would be a line whipping machine. You
load the whipping thread into the machine, push the end of the line into the
machine, press a button, and the line is professionally whipped.

Anyone hear of something like this?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...

Dave wrote:

As to Joe's back splicing, it's an abomination.

Coming from a guy missing "goop" and being forced to do it correctly...
I'm not to suprised you miss the benefits and superiority of back
splicing as opposed to whipping or dipping.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"DSK" wrote
| I don't like using fire on a boat if I don't
| have to.

What do you think makes your pistons go up and down inside your motor?

Cheers,
Ellen
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Jon,

There is nothng wrong with dipping, there is nothing wrong with whipping
on a dipped end either.

I use to burn the cut off ends and then whip them when thing got quite.
Nothing as relaxing while drinking a cup of coffee while being becalmed
than whipping burnt ends of line.

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ILLDRINKTOTHAT

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Joe,

I don't think I've ever seen a back splice in a woven line? How is it
done?

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ILLDRINKTOTHAT