posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default whipping or dipping?

"DSK" wrote in message
Capt. JG wrote:
Well, I liked the simplicity of the squirty cheeze approach, but I like
the looks of whipping more. I think for fender lines I don't care that
much, but for other lines I do.

If you leave your fenders hanging overside while sailing, so everybody can
see them, you'd care more what they look like.

I think they'll be distracted by the lousy state of the fenders, which also
need something, probably replacement.

Melting the ends doesn't really do it. Seems to make things ugly and
difficult to do it right. Also, I don't like using fire on a boat if I
don't have to.

Do you have anything against the wheel, or other advanced technologies??

What's a wheel? Stone knives and bear skins are the only acceptable
technology on a sailboat. :-)

Melting the ends doesn't get it for me, either. Some kinds of modern rope
will not melt. And it is difficult to get the core melted in a way to bond
with the cover, which results in fraying in fairly short order.

The plastic goop has somewhat the same problem, it's better if you can
work it into the strands well. However one sure cure for fraying rope ends
is thinned epoxy resin... 'Cap'n Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure' works very
well (it's about the only thing this stuff is good for). You have to give
it a few hours to set but it's less work than a proper whipping.

Interesting... I'll try the Creeping Crack Cure stuff. I have a small bottle
of it. I did find it useful to find a gap in some bedding near a chainplate.
I rebedded, so I'm not relying on it.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com