posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default whipping or dipping?

I have several lines on my boat that were whipped properly, and they're a
beautiful sight. However, when I replaced my fender lines recently, I dipped
the ends instead of taking the time to whip them. So far, it seems just
fine, the only difference seeming to be the asthetic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whipping_knot

or

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...key=SiteSearch

(http://tinyurl.com/ycx7os)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
I have several lines on my boat that were whipped properly,
and they're a beautiful sight. However, when I replaced my
fender lines recently, I dipped the ends instead of taking
the time to whip them. So far, it seems just fine, the only
difference seeming to be the asthetic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whipping_knot

or

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...key=SiteSearch

(http://tinyurl.com/ycx7os)

You _know_ the right thing to do.

I was on a lovely boat years ago, he'd whipped. parceled,
and served most everything in sight. There were little tiny
puddings on the shrouds where the sheets would have chafed.
Very tidy yacht.

Seahag

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

"Capt. JG" wrote...

I have several lines on my boat that were whipped properly,
and they're a beautiful sight. However, when I replaced my
fender lines recently, I dipped the ends instead of taking
the time to whip them. So far, it seems just fine, the only
difference seeming to be the asthetic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whipping_knot

or

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...key=SiteSearch

(http://tinyurl.com/ycx7os)

You're asking *us*?

Seahag wrote:
You _know_ the right thing to do.

Dang skippy.
Takes time though.

I was on a lovely boat years ago, he'd whipped. parceled,
and served most everything in sight. There were little tiny
puddings on the shrouds where the sheets would have chafed.
Very tidy yacht.

It takes time & practice. I haven't done any rope work in a
few years now, though at one time we had quite a lot of
fancy stuff around. It seems a bit affected on a trawler. On
the Lightning there was no end of opportunity for fancy
little splices and wall & crowns. We had the only Matthew
Walker'ed spinnaker sheet twings in the fleet.

Can squirty cheese be used instead of pudding?

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"DSK" wrote in message
. ..

Can squirty cheese be used instead of pudding?

I tried that, works well except I ended up eating them off
the rope,er line..

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. JG" wrote...

Seahag wrote:
You _know_ the right thing to do.

Dang skippy.
Takes time though.

I was on a lovely boat years ago, he'd whipped. parceled,
and served most everything in sight. There were little
tiny puddings on the shrouds where the sheets would have
chafed. Very tidy yacht.

It takes time & practice. I haven't done any rope work in
a few years now, though at one time we had quite a lot of
fancy stuff around. It seems a bit affected on a trawler.
On the Lightning there was no end of opportunity for fancy
little splices and wall & crowns. We had the only Matthew
Walker'ed spinnaker sheet twings in the fleet.

Can squirty cheese be used instead of pudding?

Temporarily...until Scotty visits.

Seahag

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Capt. JG wrote:
I have several lines on my boat that were whipped properly, and they're a
beautiful sight. However, when I replaced my fender lines recently, I dipped
the ends instead of taking the time to whip them. So far, it seems just
fine, the only difference seeming to be the asthetic.

Whipping by far, but I'd rather have a back splice myself, unless you
need to pull the lines bitter end thru a block.

Joe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whipping_knot

or

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...key=SiteSearch

(http://tinyurl.com/ycx7os)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Seahag" wrote
| There were little tiny
| puddings on the shrouds where the sheets would have chafed.

Chocolate or Vanilla????

Cheers,
Ellen
posted to alt.sailing.asa

I simply melt the ends with a blow torch and fashion them into a bit of a
taper so they fit through the hardware easily. Much more functional than
whipping or dipping.

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
I have several lines on my boat that were whipped properly, and they're a
beautiful sight. However, when I replaced my fender lines recently, I
dipped the ends instead of taking the time to whip them. So far, it seems
just fine, the only difference seeming to be the asthetic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whipping_knot

or

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...key=SiteSearch

(http://tinyurl.com/ycx7os)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

It does not take long to whip the ends. If you cut a synthetic rope with a
hot knife it is a simple matter to flange the end out a bit so even a common
whipping, put on in seconds, will not be able to slip off the end.
I do this but also leave the ends long and then with a needle, following the
lay, put three bands across the whipping. This looks like a sailmakers
whipping but takes much less time. When you have finished just put the ends
through a couple of times and cut off flush. Looks good and I have never had
the ends unravel.
You owe it to your boat to do the job properly.
Just dipping is lazy.

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
I have several lines on my boat that were whipped properly, and they're a
beautiful sight. However, when I replaced my fender lines recently, I

dipped
the ends instead of taking the time to whip them. So far, it seems just
fine, the only difference seeming to be the asthetic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whipping_knot

or

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...key=SiteSearch

(http://tinyurl.com/ycx7os)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Dave wrote:

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 21:12:04 -0800, "Capt. JG" said:

However, when I replaced my fender lines recently, I dipped
the ends instead of taking the time to whip them. So far, it seems just
fine, the only difference seeming to be the asthetic.

I have to dissent from the prevailing wisdom you seem to be getting. If it
works, I see no reason whatever not to go with the easier alternative.

Agree.

The lines on my boat are whipped, but that's only because I didn't have any
of the "gook" required for dipping around when the time came to tidy up the
ends.

As to Joe's back splicing, it's an abomination.

A back splice leaves a lump at the end of the line that is neither fat
enough to make a decent stopper, nor thin enough to run through the
block. Plus, it doesn't play nicely with double-braided lines. I
learned to back-splice in scouts way back when, but I've never found it
useful in practice.

For small stuff, I just melt the ends. And since it's all small stuff
on my boat, no whipping or dipping, just melt the end or cut it with a
hot knife. For high-tech cores that don't melt (e.g. technora), pull
the cover back, cut off half an inch of core, pull the cover back over
the core and melt just the cover.

//Walt