posted to alt.sailing.asa
Seahag Seahag is offline

Default whipping or dipping?

"DSK" wrote :
"Capt. JG" wrote...

I have several lines on my boat that were whipped
properly, and they're a beautiful sight. However, when I
replaced my fender lines recently, I dipped the ends
instead of taking the time to whip them. So far, it seems
just fine, the only difference seeming to be the
asthetic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whipping_knot

or

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...key=SiteSearch

(http://tinyurl.com/ycx7os)

You're asking *us*?

Seahag wrote:
You _know_ the right thing to do.

Dang skippy.
Takes time though.

I was on a lovely boat years ago, he'd whipped. parceled,
and served most everything in sight. There were little
tiny puddings on the shrouds where the sheets would have
chafed. Very tidy yacht.

It takes time & practice. I haven't done any rope work in
a few years now, though at one time we had quite a lot of
fancy stuff around. It seems a bit affected on a trawler.
On the Lightning there was no end of opportunity for fancy
little splices and wall & crowns. We had the only Matthew
Walker'ed spinnaker sheet twings in the fleet.

Can squirty cheese be used instead of pudding?

Temporarily...until Scotty visits.

Seahag