posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Blood on my mast

Dave wrote:
On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 20:02:05 -0500, katy said:

We sat often and discussed the problems in Kenya, Ghana, and South
Afica. Believbe me, they would not accept your soluition for their people.

Here's some recommended reading (note particularly that it's about South
Africa).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4264374.stm

I am not disputing that DDT would be eddicacious used in households
however, like I said, who is going to regulate that in countries where
regulations are set by blackmailers, terrorists, and military
governments? If the UN would step in and do what it is supposed to do,
that would be one way. Are they involved? They should be. If DDT is
rteleased to the masses, Africa will suffer the same problems with it as
what happened here. Only through careful control and regulation should
it be used and all efforts should be made to use alternate, more safe
methods.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

katy wrote:

[snip]

So kill them with pesticides instead. How civil of you. My personal
opinion about the majority of Africa is that the world has ignored it
and shame on the world. Great Britain, France and Italy all had colonies
and when they left they left for good. Shame on them. They assumed
stewardship, gave it up, and left a mess.

That isn't even close to correct. When Great Britain left what was then
Rhodesia, it had a sound economy, was a nett food exporter and had a
reasonable health, education and civic infrastructure. That is
established fact. Ditto Kenya.

Also, the European powers didn't just up & leave those colonies. They
were thrown out by the original inhabitants who knew they could do a
better job of running things for themselves. Aided & abetted by the USA
& the USSR, both of whom wanted to reduce the power & influence of the
European powers for their own ends.

After 30 years of one party rule in now Zimbabwe, they have none of
civil infrastructure, adequate food, security, medical treatment or
education. Kenya? Pffft. The ONLY remaining country in Africa that
comes even *close* to First World standards in *anything* is South
Africa and I'm not betting any money on them either.

It isn't the fault of Great Britain. Really Katy, if you want to argue
this one, you'd better bring some facts to the discussion, not just
your inner feelings, because you're going to get demolished. The major
problems bedevilling the peope in Africa are directly their own fault.

PDW

posted to alt.sailing.asa

One of my model airplanes would work fine and we could use a predator drone
for bigger huts.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..

"Dave" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 18:00:33 -0500, katy

said:

In remember the mosquito planes flying over when we were

kids dumping
DDT around the lakes...I wonder how much cancer in out

age group that is
responsible for and how many birth defects,,,

How big a plane do you suppose it would take to spray the

walls and ceiling
inside a hut?

How big is the hut?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

You said, "you blew it." We all assumed that you were talking about the
sentence, not an untenable strawman.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Dave" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 14:50:54 -0800, "Capt. JG"
said:

He didn't exclude that... you did.

No, Jon. I didn't exclude anything. I simply pointed out for those bright
enough to follow the logic that he was setting up a straw man and knocking
it down.

"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Dave" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 12:18:26 -0500, "Beauregard"
said:

DDT sprayed on the interior walls and ceiling of a house will kill
mosquetos without polluting the environment, and will save many lives.
Indescriminate spraying out of doors is environmentally harmful and
should continue to be banned.

Your first sentence is right on. Too bad you blew it in the second
sentence.
What about discriminating spraying out of doors?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
One of my model airplanes would work fine and we could use a predator
drone for bigger huts.

Are you into RC, Jon?

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On 21 Nov 2006 05:55:04 -0800, "Joe" wrote:

What a morning, I step off the boat to walk Skipper and get the evil
eye and a long line of screeching from a Bald Eagle. He's on the tip
top of my main mast with a huge speckled trout. He made a mess, now I
have blood from the tip top running down to the top spreadders and bits
of gills and guts spread about the deck.

I see it as a good omen.

Joe

On several occasions I've had mullet jump in my boat while it was
unattended in its slip. How bad that got depended on when I next
arrived at the boat and the time of year.

I never saw that as a good omen.

Frank
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Frank Boettcher wrote:
On 21 Nov 2006 05:55:04 -0800, "Joe" wrote:

What a morning, I step off the boat to walk Skipper and get the evil
eye and a long line of screeching from a Bald Eagle. He's on the tip
top of my main mast with a huge speckled trout. He made a mess, now I
have blood from the tip top running down to the top spreadders and bits
of gills and guts spread about the deck.

I see it as a good omen.

Joe

On several occasions I've had mullet jump in my boat while it was
unattended in its slip. How bad that got depended on when I next
arrived at the boat and the time of year.

I never saw that as a good omen.

Big difference Frank, I've had a few mullets in the dink myself, it's
the mid summer ones that turn into gooey yellow liquid that are the
worst.

The top of my mast will now be offically known as the Eagles perch.
And all crew members will be required to visit that perch.

Joe

Joe

Frank

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Not any more.. too expensive and not enough time. Started with rockets when
I was in grade school... we took out a window in an apartment building in
Chicago once... :-)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Maxprop" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
One of my model airplanes would work fine and we could use a predator
drone for bigger huts.

Are you into RC, Jon?

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Capt. JG wrote:
Not any more.. too expensive and not enough time. Started with rockets when
I was in grade school... we took out a window in an apartment building in
Chicago once... :-)

From San Francisco??? That's impressive!