posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Default UAV's, for cruising and racing

War always brings new technology to the common man.

UAV's soon we be a tool every cruiser and sailor can afford.

It would be nice to throw a little plane up into the air to scout a
nice anchorage, look for fish, make sure the harbor ahead is not full
of pirates, check on a friends during races ect...

This is one of the cheapest going now:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/intell...n-eye-pics.htm

Fits in a backpack has about a 10 mile working range.
Made with COTS items.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

It would be a nice option for an auto also. I can see
a navigator in a car using one of these in the desert
while cruising at high speed.

I have a few friends that offered to take pictures of
my boat from RC helicopters. I plan to take them
up on it when the boat is a bit further along and more
presentable.

Joe wrote:
War always brings new technology to the common man.

UAV's soon we be a tool every cruiser and sailor can afford.

It would be nice to throw a little plane up into the air to scout a
nice anchorage, look for fish, make sure the harbor ahead is not full
of pirates, check on a friends during races ect...

This is one of the cheapest going now:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/intell...n-eye-pics.htm

Fits in a backpack has about a 10 mile working range.
Made with COTS items.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Joe wrote:

War always brings new technology to the common man.

Yep... sometimes war not only brings new technology to the
common man, it insert little pieces of new technology into
his chest cavity.

UAV's soon we be a tool every cruiser and sailor can afford.

It would be nice to throw a little plane up into the air to scout a
nice anchorage, look for fish, make sure the harbor ahead is not full
of pirates, check on a friends during races ect...

This is one of the cheapest going now:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/intell...n-eye-pics.htm

Doesn't say how much it costs. Can't be less than a fancy
model plane of the same specs. Personally I would want more
sensors than that, too.

Fits in a backpack has about a 10 mile working range.
Made with COTS items.

What does it need for take-offs & landings? Do you think it
could be flown off a cruising sailboat (or racer)?

Bart wrote:
It would be a nice option for an auto also. I can see
a navigator in a car using one of these in the desert
while cruising at high speed.

How about to check on traffic up ahead.

I have a few friends that offered to take pictures of
my boat from RC helicopters. I plan to take them
up on it when the boat is a bit further along and more
presentable.

How about one of those RC dirigibles?

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

DSK wrote:
Joe wrote:

War always brings new technology to the common man.

Yep... sometimes war not only brings new technology to the
common man, it insert little pieces of new technology into
his chest cavity.

UAV's soon we be a tool every cruiser and sailor can afford.

It would be nice to throw a little plane up into the air to scout a
nice anchorage, look for fish, make sure the harbor ahead is not full
of pirates, check on a friends during races ect...

This is one of the cheapest going now:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/intell...n-eye-pics.htm

Doesn't say how much it costs. Can't be less than a fancy
model plane of the same specs. Personally I would want more
sensors than that, too.

I've seen them in action, the have a very nice picture and 3 diffrent
camera forward sections. It's like watching TV . One guy flys on looks.

Fits in a backpack has about a 10 mile working range.
Made with COTS items.

What does it need for take-offs & landings? Do you think it
could be flown off a cruising sailboat (or racer)?

A 10 ft rubber band launch off a spinakker pole would work nicely, you
could hold up a sheet of just go slow into the sail to recover. It's
kevlar on foam.

About 5K to the military so they are worth about 1,200 now, but as
mass production ramps up the price will fall.

Bart wrote:
It would be a nice option for an auto also. I can see
a navigator in a car using one of these in the desert
while cruising at high speed.

They only fly 35kts, is that high speed in the desert?
Also only 40-60 min flight time

How about to check on traffic up ahead.

I have a few friends that offered to take pictures of
my boat from RC helicopters. I plan to take them
up on it when the boat is a bit further along and more
presentable.

How about one of those RC dirigibles?

To slow, plus you could bring it down with a .22

Joe

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

DSK wrote: I have a few friends that offered to take pictures of
my boat from RC helicopters. I plan to take them
up on it when the boat is a bit further along and more
presentable.

How about one of those RC dirigibles?

DSK

Even better. I think a copter that went down in
salt water would be totalled.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
War always brings new technology to the common man.

Like the gps and sat pics. I'd be happier with a system of seeing live sat
pics in a gps type scenario.
Scout

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Scout wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
War always brings new technology to the common man.

Like the gps and sat pics. I'd be happier with a system of seeing live sat
pics in a gps type scenario.
Scout

No doubt, I see the day coming when Radars on boats will be obsolete.
Log onto the local radar station on the internet enter your GPS
position to center on your position , get weather off the internet, and
as you say live sat pics zooming down to the foward stay so you do not
have to go on deck to check sail set, then zoom out to cover the whole
Gulf of Mexico.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
War always brings new technology to the common man.

UAV's soon we be a tool every cruiser and sailor can afford.

It would be nice to throw a little plane up into the air to scout a
nice anchorage, look for fish, make sure the harbor ahead is not full
of pirates, check on a friends during races

. . . fly a kamikaze attack on the monster powerboat that just cut you off
for the pumpout dock.

Max

Racing Question #24 Bart Senior ASA 16 July 8th 04 09:47 PM
buoy versus point-to-point racing Dave General 5 June 20th 04 04:29 PM
Racing Fan "U." & Stock Car "U." gear available ThePowerofUcom Power Boat Racing 0 January 26th 04 06:21 PM
Racing Fan "U." & Stock Car "U." gear available ThePowerofUcom Power Boat Racing 0 January 26th 04 06:21 PM
Trailer Tires Overheating. Joe Here General 118 November 12th 03 02:40 PM