posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Default UAV's, for cruising and racing

Joe wrote:

War always brings new technology to the common man.

Yep... sometimes war not only brings new technology to the
common man, it insert little pieces of new technology into
his chest cavity.

UAV's soon we be a tool every cruiser and sailor can afford.

It would be nice to throw a little plane up into the air to scout a
nice anchorage, look for fish, make sure the harbor ahead is not full
of pirates, check on a friends during races ect...

This is one of the cheapest going now:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/intell...n-eye-pics.htm

Doesn't say how much it costs. Can't be less than a fancy
model plane of the same specs. Personally I would want more
sensors than that, too.

Fits in a backpack has about a 10 mile working range.
Made with COTS items.

What does it need for take-offs & landings? Do you think it
could be flown off a cruising sailboat (or racer)?

Bart wrote:
It would be a nice option for an auto also. I can see
a navigator in a car using one of these in the desert
while cruising at high speed.

How about to check on traffic up ahead.

I have a few friends that offered to take pictures of
my boat from RC helicopters. I plan to take them
up on it when the boat is a bit further along and more
presentable.

How about one of those RC dirigibles?

DSK