Dave

Default buoy versus point-to-point racing

For a local race here in Rhode Island there is some debate as to the
definition of a buoy race versus a point-to-point race. For the class I
compete in, there are different rules for each type of race. Pro drivers
are allowed for point-to-point racing but not buoy racing.

One of the races on the schedule is deemed a point-to-point race. The
race course is around an inshore island using all government marks.
Since it's point-to-point pro drivers are allowed.

Some competing in the racing are claiming the around the island race is
improperly designated as a point-to-point race as should really be a
buoy race. Part of the argument is that it's inshore and it ends up in
the same place it started.

I did a goolge search on buoy and point-to-point racing but came up
empty. Can anyone point me to a succint, well accepted definition of
these terms?

Dave Ford
Lightwave
Stuart Cresswell

The message
from Dave contains these words:

[...]

All races are both point to point and buoy races.

It is not buoys that are relevant - it is marks of the course.

Round the cans races go from buoy to buoy - that is from the mark
staring a leg to the mark ending a leg - and while on that leg the other
marks are irrelevant.When they cpomplete one leg they start another one
until they have completed the course.

Place to place races usually start and finish between buoys (starting
and finishing marks) and probably require other hazards or navigational
aids to be left to one side or another. That designation makes tham
marks of the course.

If your organisers want to have entry qualifications for particular
races then they need to make it absolutely clear in the Notice of Race
(Sailing Instructions are too late though will normally repeat the
qualification statement)

Stuart
PS There is also the problem of defining "pro drivers" I do not believe
ISAF has such a term.
R. G. Newbury

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 16:43:28 UTC, Dave wrote:

[...]

I doubt that there is any 'well-accepted' definition in existance.
Sounds to me like the RC needs to re-write the rules/SI's to
explicitly set out what they mean.
Probably the idea is that pros can drive on longer races but not on
'day races' a.k.a. bouy races. What you described could fit in either
category... and 'bouy' races do not always finish where they start...

Geoff

Gene Fuller

Dave,

You have received a couple of answers that more or less ducked the
question, so let me try to make it three ducks in a row.

* You will not find a widespread definition for buoy racing versus
point-to-point racing. This distinction is not part of the RRS. Rather,
it is governed by local or regional sailing organizations and
handicapping organizations.

* The primary reason for making a distinction is based on the different
sailing skills and boat characteristics required for the two types of
race courses.

* Buoy courses typically imply that the course alignment can be oriented
with respect to the wind. Inflatable marks can obviously placed to
create a close-to-windward beat leg, and even fixed marks can often be
selected to provide a reasonably close alignment to the wind. In many
cases the water is fully navigable from layline to layline of each mark.

* Point-to-point courses, sometimes called random leg courses, more
typically are not adjusted in consideration of wind conditions. It is
not uncommon to have downwind starts, reaching legs, and so on. Often
there is relatively little on-course strategy, although tides and
currents may provide opportunities for skilled sailors. There may be
limitations on navigation, thereby restricting the choice to go to the
left side or right side of the course.

* The situation you describe sure sounds like a point-to-point course.
You did not say, but it appears that the course is not adjusted for wind
conditions. It is generally not possible to sail through an island, so
the sailing options are restricted.

Regards,
Gene Fuller

Dave wrote:
[...]

Andy Champ

Dave wrote:

[...]

Having read the other three messages, and your use of the term "drivers"
I bet you mean powerboats. In which case, we're sailing people here
(mostly) you might like to try rec.boats.racing.power.

If you do mean sailing boats, just ignore me. But tell everyone what
kind of boat it is...

Andy

dc

On the SF Bay, we have "bouy" and "point-to-point" racing.

For bouy racing, we round marks. For this you can expect the typical
upwind/downwind course.

For point-to-point, we race to a "destination". And, while we may be
required to pass around certain marks per the Sailing Instructions, it's
pretty much a "straight line", so to speak, to the "destination". For
example, one local race is called the Vallejo Race. We start in the middle
of the SF Bay with a short upwind leg and then it turns into a long downwind
leg until we get to Vallejo.

Bouy racing tends to be more tactical (close contact with other boats) and
point-to-point racing tends to be more strategic (picking the fastest
route).

Doug out
s/v CHALLENGER - Merit 25
Berkeley, CA

[...]