dc

Default buoy versus point-to-point racing

On the SF Bay, we have "bouy" and "point-to-point" racing.

For bouy racing, we round marks. For this you can expect the typical
upwind/downwind course.

For point-to-point, we race to a "destination". And, while we may be
required to pass around certain marks per the Sailing Instructions, it's
pretty much a "straight line", so to speak, to the "destination". For
example, one local race is called the Vallejo Race. We start in the middle
of the SF Bay with a short upwind leg and then it turns into a long downwind
leg until we get to Vallejo.

Bouy racing tends to be more tactical (close contact with other boats) and
point-to-point racing tends to be more strategic (picking the fastest
route).

Doug out
s/v CHALLENGER - Merit 25
Berkeley, CA

"Dave" wrote in message
For a local race here in Rhode Island there is some debate as to the
definition of a buoy race versus a point-to-point race. For the class I
compete in, there are different rules for each type of race. Pro drivers
are allowed for point-to-point racing but not buoy racing.

One of the races on the schedule is deemed a point-to-point race. The
race course is around an inshore island using all government marks.
Since it's point-to-point pro drivers are allowed.

Some competing in the racing are claiming the around the island race is
improperly designated as a point-to-point race as should really be a
buoy race. Part of the argument is that it's inshore and it ends up in
the same place it started.

I did a goolge search on buoy and point-to-point racing but came up
empty. Can anyone point me to a succint, well accepted definition of
these terms?

Dave Ford
Lightwave

---