Andy Champ

Default buoy versus point-to-point racing

Dave wrote:

For a local race here in Rhode Island there is some debate as to the
definition of a buoy race versus a point-to-point race. For the class I
compete in, there are different rules for each type of race. Pro drivers
are allowed for point-to-point racing but not buoy racing.

One of the races on the schedule is deemed a point-to-point race. The
race course is around an inshore island using all government marks.
Since it's point-to-point pro drivers are allowed.

Some competing in the racing are claiming the around the island race is
improperly designated as a point-to-point race as should really be a
buoy race. Part of the argument is that it's inshore and it ends up in
the same place it started.

I did a goolge search on buoy and point-to-point racing but came up
empty. Can anyone point me to a succint, well accepted definition of
these terms?

Dave Ford
Lightwave

Having read the other three messages, and your use of the term "drivers"
I bet you mean powerboats. In which case, we're sailing people here
(mostly) you might like to try rec.boats.racing.power.

If you do mean sailing boats, just ignore me. But tell everyone what
kind of boat it is...

Andy