posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Hi..wave wave

I said "Well, I wave 50% of the time to make sure they actually see us."

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
Jon,

A wave can be much more than friendly. It can mean stay away. It can
mean HELP! it can mean "STANDBYE" It can mean "STAND OFF."

It was used by Migrating tribes. It is still used to get assistance
along the Highway, Crowd control. It is a universal mean of
communication. Everyone knows 2 hands up is Surrender.

It isn't restricted to boating. Traffic is controlled with waving
motions. Even modern day signals recognize the value@ A red lite open
palm at a cross walk

Jon, you can have my points, now that you've been reminded of how
universal waving is in our life.

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ILLDRINKTOTHAT

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/IDONTFEELGOOD

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Everyone knows that you cannot be driving a car while wearing your sword...

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...

Charlie Morgan wrote:
On 29 Sep 2006 12:50:34 -0700, "Joe" wrote:

Thom Stewart wrote:
Yeah Joe,

It let's people know, "You're there and OK and they would also like

know the same of you. No need of assistance."

Thats right Ol Thom, Its a primal fear of the water that drives waving.
You get the points.

Joe

Oh, baloney!

Waving is an offshoot of shaking hands, which goes back to medieval

times.
Shaking hands when meeting is a "body language" demonstration that you

are not
using your "sword hand" for anything else. It's a greeting of peace.

When you
are physically too far away to actually shake hands, you mimick shaking

hands by
waving.

Then why do people in boats wave at each other and people in cars do
not?

Joe

You lose 50 asa points for, yet again, asking a quiz question for which

you
don't know the correct answer.

CWM

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Maxprop wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...

Thom Stewart wrote:
Yeah Joe,

It let's people know, "You're there and OK and they would also like to
know the same of you. No need of assistance."

Thats right Ol Thom, Its a primal fear of the water that drives waving.
You get the points.

I have no fear of water, primal of otherwise. But when meeting someone away
from land, it's simply nice to acknowledge their presence and that we're
both out where no one else happens to be at the moment.

It's so deep engrained in the past it comes second nature, you don't
need to have the fear.
I've noticed women and children wave the most, IE: most at risk.
No one teaches kids to wave, they do it naturaly. And I've noticed that
the people more concerned about being on the water wave more. And it is
just as important and engrained in the past to acknowledge the wave,
you are the rescuer. Again it goes back to primal man floating on a log
wanting acknowledgement incase something happens like the log rolling
over IMO. People do not feel at risk in a car, and do not need
acknowledgement.

Joe

I have noticed several conventions w/r/t waving, at least where I sail:

1) When sailing, I tend to wave at other sailors more than at powerboaters,
and vice versa.
2) When in my Boston Whaler, I tend to wave at everyone, and vice versa.
3) Powerboaters tend to wave less than sailors.
4) Skippers on very large yachts tend not to wave, and ignore others who
wave at them. There are exceptions, of course.
5) Waving at significantly attractive females is preferable to waving at
someone like Bubbles.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Joe wrote:
Thom Stewart wrote:
Yeah Joe,

It let's people know, "You're there and OK and they would also like to
know the same of you. No need of assistance."

Thats right Ol Thom, Its a primal fear of the water that drives waving.
You get the points.

Joe

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ILLDRINKTOTHAT

What??? That's a crock....people wave because they are social animals
and that's all....
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Thom Stewart wrote:
Yeah Joe,

It let's people know, "You're there and OK and they would also like to
know the same of you. No need of assistance."

Thats right Ol Thom, Its a primal fear of the water that drives waving.
You get the points.

Joe

Oh, baloney!

Waving is an offshoot of shaking hands, which goes back to medieval times.
Shaking hands when meeting is a "body language" demonstration that you are not
using your "sword hand" for anything else. It's a greeting of peace. When you
are physically too far away to actually shake hands, you mimick shaking hands by
waving.

You lose 50 asa points for, yet again, asking a quiz question for which you
don't know the correct answer.

CWM

Right, Charlie...when we start to reduce a;; human befavior down to
lowest common denominators we do nothing for out species...

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Thom Stewart wrote:
[...]

Because there's much more to be mindful of in cars...plus..they are a
closed envitonment unlike a boat where you are out in the weather...just
imagine if everyoone on the freeway was waving at each other instead of
driving or talking on their cell phones...then what would we have?
posted to alt.sailing.asa

CWM & Katy,

When you raise your hand at "Roll Call", is it a greeting or symbol of
identification? When raise your hand to answer a question, is it a
greeting or symbol to offer knowledge? When voting by a showing of
hands, is that a greeting or a symbol of preference? When you raise your
hand to go to the lavatory, is that a greeting or a request for relief?

When I answered the question I stated I wasn't sure and now that I'm
reading responses, I'm not sure anyone is sure of what it means. As a
matter of fact; WHO GIVE A ****!

You want to be noticed; WAVE.

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ILLDRINKTOTHAT

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/IDONTFEELGOOD

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Thom Stewart wrote:
CWM & Katy,

When you raise your hand at "Roll Call", is it a greeting or symbol of
identification? When raise your hand to answer a question, is it a
greeting or symbol to offer knowledge? When voting by a showing of
hands, is that a greeting or a symbol of preference? When you raise your
hand to go to the lavatory, is that a greeting or a request for relief?

When I answered the question I stated I wasn't sure and now that I'm
reading responses, I'm not sure anyone is sure of what it means. As a
matter of fact; WHO GIVE A ****!

You want to be noticed; WAVE.

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ILLDRINKTOTHAT

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/IDONTFEELGOOD

Raising your hand and waving are two seperate things. Rainsing your
hand incolces lifting your arm with a stationary hand in the air.
Waving indicates that you either flex the fingers or the wrist (ask
royalty or beauty queens about the technique). They imply different
functions and different meanings.

Wave Ski vs Wave Witch? (PeteCresswell) General 0 September 21st 06 05:02 PM
Largest wave ever seen was 1720ft Joe ASA 0 August 4th 06 07:11 PM
Freak Wave ruins cruise. Short Wave Sportfishing General 20 April 20th 05 06:04 AM
Wave heights Roger Long Cruising 61 January 11th 05 04:53 PM
Mr Long.. read this one rhys Cruising 2 January 2nd 05 09:18 PM