posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Default Hi..wave wave

Thom Stewart wrote:
Yeah Joe,

It let's people know, "You're there and OK and they would also like to
know the same of you. No need of assistance."

Thats right Ol Thom, Its a primal fear of the water that drives waving.
You get the points.

Joe

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ILLDRINKTOTHAT

posted to alt.sailing.asa

I said this before Thom. I should get points also. :-)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...

Thom Stewart wrote:
Yeah Joe,

It let's people know, "You're there and OK and they would also like to
know the same of you. No need of assistance."

Thats right Ol Thom, Its a primal fear of the water that drives waving.
You get the points.

Joe

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ILLDRINKTOTHAT

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Joe,

I don't know where it started? the fishing fleets used it in the days
before radio. I think the Tea Run Skippers used it as well as the
Coastal Traders. All before radio. Not many had a knowledge of
Semaphore.

A simple, friendly wave; everyone was aware of what it was. " I'm OK,
how are you?' Made sense tnen,makes sense now.

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ILLDRINKTOTHAT

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/IDONTFEELGOOD

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Jon,

A wave can be much more than friendly. It can mean stay away. It can
mean HELP! it can mean "STANDBYE" It can mean "STAND OFF."

It was used by Migrating tribes. It is still used to get assistance
along the Highway, Crowd control. It is a universal mean of
communication. Everyone knows 2 hands up is Surrender.

It isn't restricted to boating. Traffic is controlled with waving
motions. Even modern day signals recognize the value@ A red lite open
palm at a cross walk

Jon, you can have my points, now that you've been reminded of how
universal waving is in our life.

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ILLDRINKTOTHAT

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/IDONTFEELGOOD

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Krusty Morgan" stupidly wrote ..

It let's people know, "You're there and OK and they

would also like to
know the same of you. No need of assistance."

Thats right Ol Thom, Its a primal fear of the water that

drives waving.
You get the points.

Joe

Oh, baloney!

Waving is an offshoot of shaking hands, which goes back to

medieval times.
Shaking hands when meeting is a "body language"

demonstration that you are not
using your "sword hand" for anything else. It's a greeting

of peace. When you
are physically too far away to actually shake hands, you

mimick shaking hands by
waving.

Yulp, I'm always wondering if that passing sailboat is
touting swords.

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Charlie Morgan wrote:
On 29 Sep 2006 12:50:34 -0700, "Joe" wrote:

Thom Stewart wrote:
Yeah Joe,

It let's people know, "You're there and OK and they would also like to
know the same of you. No need of assistance."

Thats right Ol Thom, Its a primal fear of the water that drives waving.
You get the points.

Joe

Oh, baloney!

Waving is an offshoot of shaking hands, which goes back to medieval times.
Shaking hands when meeting is a "body language" demonstration that you are not
using your "sword hand" for anything else. It's a greeting of peace. When you
are physically too far away to actually shake hands, you mimick shaking hands by
waving.

Then why do people in boats wave at each other and people in cars do
not?

Joe

You lose 50 asa points for, yet again, asking a quiz question for which you
don't know the correct answer.

CWM

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Scotty would probably appreciate this... though slightly off
topic (OT).

Back about 40 years ago... where a lot of the Interstate was
still double lane... truckers upon meeting each other would
always wave.

Or additionally use a a hand code... such as showing 2 fingers
that meant that we were coming into an area where traffic enforce-
ment personnel where present... or 3 fingers meaning an accident
was ahead of us. Or worse yet...the presentation of 3 fingers smack-
ing the other hand... meaning a head/on collision.

During the night... we did the same with the headlights with the ex-
ception of a head/on incident.

Then later came the advent of the CB (citizen band radio) and channel
19..!

Even today... whether in my golf cart headed for my local golf course
or on my Mac (before I leave the harbor) I still give a wave to the
near
by incoming traffic.

Any yeh... often as not they don't wave back... be it the golfers or
boaters.

But I have finally learned... that times change and nothing stays the
same.

Best regards to all

Bill

Bill

posted to alt.sailing.asa

I agree with Thom's response.

Thom Stewart wrote:
Yeah Joe,

It let's people know, "You're there and OK and they would also like to
know the same of you. No need of assistance."

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Group,

There isn't any limit to arm and hand signaling. Hell before they put
all the bell,whistles, blinking and flashing light; it was the legal way
to signal a turn or stop while driving.

As far as CWM response, he is way of base (hah) as in baseball base
coach. The question wasn't when; the question was why?

CWM has yet answer why boater wave to one another?

CWM has changed the subject, once again, with out a answer to a direct
question.

So, I guess it is time to ask what a ;"Raised middle finger in a closed
fist" means? Two part question, Olden and Modern? I'm sure most every
one knows what it mean as I Give it to CWM.

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ILLDRINKTOTHAT

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/IDONTFEELGOOD

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...

Thom Stewart wrote:
Yeah Joe,

It let's people know, "You're there and OK and they would also like to
know the same of you. No need of assistance."

Thats right Ol Thom, Its a primal fear of the water that drives waving.
You get the points.

I have no fear of water, primal of otherwise. But when meeting someone away
from land, it's simply nice to acknowledge their presence and that we're
both out where no one else happens to be at the moment.

I have noticed several conventions w/r/t waving, at least where I sail:

1) When sailing, I tend to wave at other sailors more than at powerboaters,
and vice versa.
2) When in my Boston Whaler, I tend to wave at everyone, and vice versa.
3) Powerboaters tend to wave less than sailors.
4) Skippers on very large yachts tend not to wave, and ignore others who
wave at them. There are exceptions, of course.
5) Waving at significantly attractive females is preferable to waving at
someone like Bubbles.

Max

Wave Ski vs Wave Witch? (PeteCresswell) General 0 September 21st 06 05:02 PM
Largest wave ever seen was 1720ft Joe ASA 0 August 4th 06 07:11 PM
Freak Wave ruins cruise. Short Wave Sportfishing General 20 April 20th 05 06:04 AM
Wave heights Roger Long Cruising 61 January 11th 05 04:53 PM
Mr Long.. read this one rhys Cruising 2 January 2nd 05 09:18 PM