posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Useless propeller

"Gilligan" wrote in message . ..
| http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling
|

| Boiling is the rapid vaporization of a liquid, which typically occurs when a
| liquid is heated to a temperature such that its vapor pressure is above that
| of the surroundings, such as air pressure. Thus, a liquid may also boil when
| the pressure of the surrounding atmosphere is sufficiently reduced, such as
| the use of a vacuum pump or at high altitudes. Boiling occurs in three
| characteristic stages, which are nucleate, transition and film boiling.
| These stages generally take place from low to high surface temperatures,
| respectively.
|
| Nucleate boiling is characterized by the incipience and growth of bubbles on
| a heated surface, which rise from discrete points on a surface, whose
| temperature is only slightly above the liquid’s saturation temperature. In
| general, the number of nucleation sites are increased by an increasing
| surface temperature. An irregular surface of the boiling vessel (i.e.
| increased surface roughness) can create additional nucleation sites, while
| an exceptionally smooth surface (such as glass) lends itself to
| superheating.
|
| When the surface temperature reaches a maximum value, the critical
| superheat, vapor begins to form faster than liquid can reach the surface.
| Thus, the heated surface suddenly becomes covered with a vapor layer.
| Because of the vapor layer’s lower thermal conductivity, this vapor layer
| insulates the surface. This condition of a vapor film insulating the surface
| from the liquid characterizes film boiling.
|
| Transition boiling may be defined as the unstable boiling, which occurs at
| surface temperatures between the maximum attainable in nucleate and the
| minimum attainable in film boiling.

Good info but mostly obfuscation to keeping from saying. "Oops, I
was wrong.

The facts of the matter that the verb boil means to heat to a temperature
at which a liquid vaporizes. I'm saying there is not enough heating going
on in a cavitating prop to vaporize water. Thus to say it boils is to speak
in error.

The fact of the matter is you used the word boil when you should have
corrected DSK and used vaporized instead. It's a pressure thing and
not a temperature thing,

Paladin

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Gilligan" wrote in message . ..
| http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling
|

| Boiling is the rapid vaporization of a liquid, which typically occurs when a
| liquid is heated to a temperature such that its vapor pressure is above that
| of the surroundings, such as air pressure. Thus, a liquid may also boil when
| the pressure of the surrounding atmosphere is sufficiently reduced, such as
| the use of a vacuum pump or at high altitudes. Boiling occurs in three
| characteristic stages, which are nucleate, transition and film boiling.
| These stages generally take place from low to high surface temperatures,
| respectively.
|
| Nucleate boiling is characterized by the incipience and growth of bubbles on
| a heated surface, which rise from discrete points on a surface, whose
| temperature is only slightly above the liquid’s saturation temperature. In
| general, the number of nucleation sites are increased by an increasing
| surface temperature. An irregular surface of the boiling vessel (i.e.
| increased surface roughness) can create additional nucleation sites, while
| an exceptionally smooth surface (such as glass) lends itself to
| superheating.
|
| When the surface temperature reaches a maximum value, the critical
| superheat, vapor begins to form faster than liquid can reach the surface.
| Thus, the heated surface suddenly becomes covered with a vapor layer.
| Because of the vapor layer’s lower thermal conductivity, this vapor layer
| insulates the surface. This condition of a vapor film insulating the surface
| from the liquid characterizes film boiling.
|
| Transition boiling may be defined as the unstable boiling, which occurs at
| surface temperatures between the maximum attainable in nucleate and the
| minimum attainable in film boiling.

Good info but mostly obfuscation to keeping from saying. "Oops, I
was wrong.

The facts of the matter that the verb boil means to heat to a temperature
at which a liquid vaporizes. I'm saying there is not enough heating going
on in a cavitating prop to vaporize water. Thus to say it boils is to speak
in error.

The fact of the matter is you used the word boil when you should have
corrected DSK and used vaporized instead. It's a pressure thing and
not a temperature thing,

Paladin

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Oh Bull **** Pete

You posted; "Reduction gearing has EVERYTHING to do with it."

It seems you've elected to ignore, Prop Pitch, Prop Size, and the Medium
it is operating in. You have also neglected to recognize throttle
control

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

posted to alt.sailing.asa

http://encarta.msn.com/media_4615415...for_Water.html

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Gilligan" wrote in message . ..

| http://encarta.msn.com/media_4615415...for_Water.html

The diagram proves my point. Since there is no significant temperature
change involved with a propeller but there is a significant pressure change
then the water does not vaporize because it boils. Rather it vaporizes because
of the pressure change.

I'm just so brilliant. You can't even manage to misdirect me.

Paladin

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message ...
| Oh Bull **** Pete
|
| You posted; "Reduction gearing has EVERYTHING to do with it."
|
| It seems you've elected to ignore, Prop Pitch, Prop Size, and the Medium
| it is operating in. You have also neglected to recognize throttle
| control

Other things being equal a larger prop with more pitch and lower
gearing is more efficient and delivers more drive per BTU of fuel
used. A one bladed prop would be most efficient but there is
a problem balancing such a thing. Three-bladed props seem to be
a very good compromise for powering sailing yachts with their
inherent slow velocity through the water.

Paladin

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Paladin" noneofyourbusiness.www wrote in message

"Gilligan" wrote in message
. ..

| http://encarta.msn.com/media_4615415...for_Water.html

The diagram proves my point. Since there is no significant temperature
change involved with a propeller but there is a significant pressure
change
then the water does not vaporize because it boils. Rather it vaporizes
because
of the pressure change.

I'm just so brilliant. You can't even manage to misdirect me.

I can't misdirect you, but I can set you straight.

When water boils, as in your kettle, those "bubbles" are water vapor
suspended in the liquid water.

Cavitation is caused by the propeller slipping on water vapor suspended in
the liquid water.

Would it then be reasonable to say that cavitation is caused by water
boiling?

OR

Cavitation can only happen in your tea kettle?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Gilligan" wrote in message . ..

| "Paladin" noneofyourbusiness.www wrote in message
|
| "Gilligan" wrote in message
| . ..
| |
| | http://encarta.msn.com/media_4615415...for_Water.html
| |
| |
| |

| The diagram proves my point. Since there is no significant temperature
| change involved with a propeller but there is a significant pressure
| change
| then the water does not vaporize because it boils. Rather it vaporizes
| because
| of the pressure change.
|
| I'm just so brilliant. You can't even manage to misdirect me.
|

| I can't misdirect you, but I can set you straight.

You've done an inadequate job of it so far...

| When water boils, as in your kettle, those "bubbles" are water vapor
| suspended in the liquid water.

Agreed. But, suspended is a poor word choice. I prefer to call it
water vapor displacing the liquid water.

| Cavitation is caused by the propeller slipping on water vapor suspended in
| the liquid water.

Quaintly envisioned. Highly inadequate. Cavitation is a descriptive term used
to describe the vaporization of the water near the low pressure side of the
propeller blades resulting in over-revving of the engine. The over-revving of
the engine is caused by the prop losing contact with the water.

| Would it then be reasonable to say that cavitation is caused by water
| boiling?

Not in the case of a boat unless it was in a giant pot of boiling water
on the stove.

| OR
|
| Cavitation can only happen in your tea kettle?

Cavitation could very well be caused by operating a prop in boiling
water but the prop doesn't cause the water to boil. The fire under
the tea kettle is doing that job.

Now, who's straightening out whom?

Paladin

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Thom Stewart wrote:
Oh Bull **** Pete

You posted; "Reduction gearing has EVERYTHING to do with it."

It seems you've elected to ignore, Prop Pitch, Prop Size, and the Medium
it is operating in. You have also neglected to recognize throttle
control

It was just as valid as your response that reduction gearing has
NOTHING to do with it.

Try moving a 40,000 lb displacement boat with a 225HP 2 stroke outboard
running at 8000 rpm. Then try the same thing using a 225HP diesel
running at 1800 rpm thru a 3:1 reduction box.

You oversimplified and are now trying to dig yourself out.

PDW

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Gilligan" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

The propeller is the thing that makes the boat go, innit?

Max