posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Default Useless propeller

| ... I say any prop
| that boils water is useless as a prop
|
| If that were all it did, then you'd be totally correct.
| However, under the specific circumstances, any propellor
| will boil water.

Paladin wrote:
The specific circumstances would have to be enough electricity
running through the prop to heat it up like the element in an
electric water heater.

Is electricity the only thing in the universe which will
produce heat?

| When people who live in the mountains make their tea and/or
| coffee, do they boil their water or does the lower
| atmospheric pressure mean that they are "vaporizing" it?

Paladin wrote:
They are adding heat only so they are boiling it.

What about the energy expended in carrying it up the
mountainside?

.... The lower
atmospheric pressure only means they are able to boil water
usling fewer BTUs because the boiling point temp is lowered.

Hmm... and heat is energy... so therefor, if a propellor
adds energy to the water, and by doing so lowers the
pressure enough that the boiling point temp is lowered....

A DUCK!!

They cannot! The definition of the verb "to boil" precludes it.

Read it again! You're missing something, just like you
missed something in the two earlier examples I gave.

BTW I can think of a simple test to prove you are or are not
the Crapton®. Explain, in your own words, the term 'hull speed.'

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"DSK" wrote in message .. .
| | ... I say any prop
| | that boils water is useless as a prop
| |
| | If that were all it did, then you'd be totally correct.
| | However, under the specific circumstances, any propellor
| | will boil water.
|
| Paladin wrote:
| The specific circumstances would have to be enough electricity
| running through the prop to heat it up like the element in an
| electric water heater.
|

| Is electricity the only thing in the universe which will
| produce heat?

No but it's the only thing on earth I know of that has the ability to cause a propeller attached
to a yacht to boil water.

| |
| | When people who live in the mountains make their tea and/or
| | coffee, do they boil their water or does the lower
| | atmospheric pressure mean that they are "vaporizing" it?
|

| Paladin wrote:
| They are adding heat only so they are boiling it.
|
| What about the energy expended in carrying it up the
| mountainside?

What if it came down the mountain stream? Your question
and mine are equally nonsensical as neither are part of
the equation.

| .... The lower
| atmospheric pressure only means they are able to boil water
| usling fewer BTUs because the boiling point temp is lowered.
|

| Hmm... and heat is energy... so therefor, if a propellor
| adds energy to the water, and by doing so lowers the
| pressure enough that the boiling point temp is lowered....

Boiling temp. There's that boil word again. You're still guilty
of using a word that means to add heat. You can combine it
with another word but that doesn't change the meaning of
the word boil. As I argued with Gilligan, and he finally concurred,
a propeller does not add enough heat to the water to boil it. It
only lowers pressure in some cases enough to vaporize water and
cause cavitation, so to say a propeller boils water is just plain wrong
according to the definition of the verb "to boil".

| They cannot! The definition of the verb "to boil" precludes it.
|

| Read it again! You're missing something, just like you
| missed something in the two earlier examples I gave.
|
| BTW I can think of a simple test to prove you are or are not
| the Crapton®. Explain, in your own words, the term 'hull speed.'

For a displacement boat, a heavy deep-keel boat, the maximum speed a given hull can attain from wind power is called "hull speed"
and is largely dependent on the waterline length of the boat. Hull speed is expressed as 1.34 X the square root of LWL, or length of
waterline. If a cruising sailboat has a waterline length of 36 feet, she should be able to sail 1.34 x 6, or approximately eight
knots.
http://www.sailnet.com/collections/a...leid=colgat006

Paladin

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Borked Pseudo Mailed" wrote in message d.net...

| Honestly, this is 7th grade general science in MOST school districts.
| Which tells us you not nearly as "brilliant" as you believe you are.

Perhaps the liberal school system is guilty of yet another failure to educate.
What they provide, instead, is indoctrination...

Paladin

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Paladin" noneofyourbusiness.www wrote in message

| Is electricity the only thing in the universe which will
| produce heat?

No but it's the only thing on earth I know of that has the ability to
cause a propeller attached
to a yacht to boil water.

When an Atomic 4 explodes into flames I bet the heat conducted through the
propeller shaft tot he propeller can boil water.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 09:11:40 -0600, "Gilligan"
wrote:

Precision of language is most important.

Without it evil will rule.

"Liberal" use to mean a person for liberty until FDR usurped the term.

"Conservative" use to mean small government until Bush got a hold of that.

People who subvert language are using deception. Your brain is your only
defense against such slavery that will follow.

How do you feel about the current usage of the terms, "Decimate" and
"Clip instead of Magazine"?
Inquiring minds want to know. )
Mark E. Williams

posted to alt.sailing.asa

When water goes from liquid to vapor it is vaporization.

Boiling is a subset of vaporization. vaporization caused by heating.

When water goes from ice to vapor it is sublimation. It is not boiling.

Does frozen carbon dioxide cause water to boil when you throw it in? Is the
carbon dioxide boiling? Is it sublimating?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Maynard G. Krebbs" wrote in

How do you feel about the current usage of the terms, "Decimate" and
"Clip instead of Magazine"?

Decimate, my usage of that is mostly in digital signal processing:
decimation in time or frequency. Decimate to reduce by 1/10, which is not
true in DSP. The modern usage is wrong too, as is the use of quantum. A
"quantum leap" is actually the smallest leap possible, as quantum is the
smallest divisible unit. Here the use means the exact opposite of the word.

A clip is a clip as in the clip for the Garand Semi Automatic Rifle. Bullets
were fed into the clip, the clip loaded into the magazine. Stripper clips
are also used to load magazines. I call magazines magazines and clips clips.
Revolvers use speed loading clips. Clips hold bullets, magazines hold
bullets in the rifle.

Unless you are talking about "newsclip" as a magazine instead of a
periodical.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Superheated water not boiling:

http://howthingswork.virginia.edu/page1.php?QNum=1465

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"TwistyCreek" wrote in message
Gilligan wrote:

When water goes from liquid to vapor it is vaporization.

Boiling is a subset of vaporization. vaporization caused by heating.

No. More accurately it's described as attaining a state where some of
the water vaporizes.

Is water superheated by a microwave oven (above 100C, yet no vaporization
because of lack of nucleation) considered boiling water?

That *can* be achieved by heating, indeed this
is the most common way of doing it. But it's not the only way, and even
heating water to the boiling point is something that varies under the
relatively insignificant differences in air pressure between sea level
and a moderate mountain.

Heating is the most common method for boiling water for a number of
reasons. It's convenient, and technically less complicated than
creating a sufficient vacuum. Also, boiling water is hardly ever a
goal, it's a step in a process where higher water temperatures are
desired for other things.

Sometimes boiling is undesirable as in hot water systems. The pressure is
kept high to raise the boiling point so no vapor forms in the system.

When water goes from ice to vapor it is sublimation. It is not boiling.

Does frozen carbon dioxide cause water to boil when you throw it in? Is
the
carbon dioxide boiling? Is it sublimating?

Irrelevant. A totally broken analogy. Two completely different processes
that only cause a visually similar effect.

Correct. I asked these questions to test understanding of the phenomena.

So the bottom line: Boiling water is water with vapor bubbles in it? It
doesn't matter what means induced these bubbles? Does boiling water have
some unique property?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Paladin wrote:

No but it's the only thing on earth I know of that has the ability to cause a propeller attached
to a yacht to boil water.

Really? Ever heard of "fire"? It's the latest technology,
great for producing heat.

And now, just to show how truly impossible it is to actually
teach you something, I will continue to demonstrate how
wrong you are about "boiling"!

| | When people who live in the mountains make their tea and/or
| | coffee, do they boil their water or does the lower
| | atmospheric pressure mean that they are "vaporizing" it?
|

| Paladin wrote:
| They are adding heat only so they are boiling it.
|
| What about the energy expended in carrying it up the
| mountainside?

What if it came down the mountain stream? Your question
and mine are equally nonsensical as neither are part of
the equation.

What equation? So far you have insisted that whole issue can
be explained in plain English. Efforts to introduce math &
science have been rejected by you in favor of the dictionary
(and it's not even THE Scrabble Dictionary). Maybe you have
a problem with math? Anyway, I'm putting it in plain simple
English.

Energy has been added to the water. If it "came down the
mountain stream" then the Sun carried it up there. Either
way, the kettle on a mountain top is at a higher energy
state than water at atmospheric pressure at sea level.

The lower pressure means that less *additional* energy has
to be added to make it boil. But that energy has been added,
or the water would never boil

Wait a minute, let me back up a step for you. It takes a
fixed amount of energy to raise a given amount of water a
given temp, did you know that? Look up the term "specific
heat" in your dictionary.

Paladin wrote:

Boiling temp. There's that boil word again. You're still guilty
of using a word that means to add heat.

Heat is energy. Did you know that?

.... You can combine it
with another word but that doesn't change the meaning of
the word boil.

I'm not changing the meaning of the word, I am pointing out
how it is applicable in cases where you don't think it is.

If water can be boiled at a lower temp on a mountain top,
then it can be boiled at a lower temp by a propeller, unless
your dictionary either defines a minimum possible temp or
specifically excludes propellors. Does it? What about in a
balloon far above the mountain top, that would be at a lower
pressure and thus lower temp even yet.... correct?

Now look at the another situation: ever hear of a cracking
column? It is how gasoline and diesel fuel are made. The
official name is "fractional distilling." Look it up in your
dictionary. A cracking column has heated fluid (such as
crude oil) pumped into it and then released into a lower
pressure vessel. Does it boil? You better believe it does,
if it didn't you'd be sitting in the dark instead of reading
this!

... As I argued with Gilligan, and he finally concurred

Actually, I don't think he concurred at all. I think he
preferred to retire from the discussion instead of showing
your folly.

a propeller does not add enough heat to the water to boil it. It
only lowers pressure in some cases enough to vaporize water and
cause cavitation, so to say a propeller boils water is just plain wrong
according to the definition of the verb "to boil".

Wrong

Water (or any fluid) can be boiled at a wide range of temps
& pressures. We agreed on this.

At low pressure, very little heat need be added. You agreed
that it takes less heat to boil water at the top of a
mountain because of the lower pressure. Now you are
insisting that there is some definite ratio of heat added to
pressure reduced or somehow it isn't "boiling."

Is that what your dictionary says? That it's only boiling if
X amount, or greater, of heat is added?

| BTW I can think of a simple test to prove you are or are not
| the Crapton®. Explain, in your own words, the term 'hull speed.'

For a displacement boat, a heavy deep-keel boat, the maximum speed a given hull can attain from wind power is called "hull speed" and is largely dependent on the waterline length of the boat. Hull speed is expressed as 1.34 X the square root of LWL, or length of waterline. If a cruising sailboat has a waterline length of 36 feet, she should be able to sail 1.34 x 6, or approximately eight knots.
http://www.sailnet.com/collections/a...leid=colgat006

I think you're an imposter. The real Crapton® would never
have cribbed an important definition like that.

DSK