posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Useless propeller

"Paladin" noneofyourbusiness.www wrote in message

And, they are incorrectly using the verb boil. If exposed to a
vacuum the human body will freeze and not boil or explode as
shown in some silly movies . And, if it should happen to out gas,
it would be due to a very temporary pressure differential and
will have little to do with temps.

There's nothing deceptive about a reasoned use of language.

Your grasp of things scientific is outstanding. Blood will not boil in space
because the blood vessels keep it under pressure.

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/as...rs/970603.html

Are you a NASA scientist?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Gilligan" wrote in message . ..

| "Paladin" noneofyourbusiness.www wrote in message
|

| And, they are incorrectly using the verb boil. If exposed to a
| vacuum the human body will freeze and not boil or explode as
| shown in some silly movies . And, if it should happen to out gas,
| it would be due to a very temporary pressure differential and
| will have little to do with temps.
|
| There's nothing deceptive about a reasoned use of language.
|

| Your grasp of things scientific is outstanding. Blood will not boil in space
| because the blood vessels keep it under pressure.
|
| http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/as...rs/970603.html
|
| Are you a NASA scientist?

I'm with JPL. NASA is for second-rate minds.

Paladin

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Charlie Morgan" wrote in message ...
| On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 09:49:10 -0600, "Gilligan"
| wrote:
|

| I can tell I am battling against a person of towering intellect who does not
| back down when guided by the light of truth.
|
| I must give in and say Uncle.
|
| Who is this man so knowledgeable in the ways of science?
|

| Neal
|
| CWM

A high compliment there CWM. Thanks. Capt. Neal was this group's
most learned subscriber.

Paladin

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Paladin,

You've getting close but your not there yet. If we are using the same
prop, driven by the same engine, at the same RPM's under normal
conditions without cavitation; then why does cavitation happen to the
system in foul weather?

I think that, just maybe, you are about to learn something; along with
some others(g) The graph will show it, if you you can figure it out.
THINK FIRST and then prove you thought with the graph.

Again I'll say Bye, Bye and I'm sorry I didn't keep my word and stay out
of the discussion

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Can't Help It Paladin,

If you're so Damn Smart, why are you rambling on about language and
boiling under the heading of: "USELESS PROPELLER!" That's stupid!

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message ...
| Can't Help It Paladin,
|
| If you're so Damn Smart, why are you rambling on about language and
| boiling under the heading of: "USELESS PROPELLER!" That's stupid!

You and most others here demonstrate shallowness of thinking. What's stupid
is to expect to even attempt to discuss the utility or uselessness of propellers
if folks are speaking different languages. And, mark my word, unless folks
can agree on word definitions they are speaking different languages.

1) The discussion media here is the written word.
2) Written words have specific and agreed upon meanings.
3) Unless those meanings are understood clearly by all concerned discussion is
confusing and meaningless.
4) I'm "rambling on about language and boiling" because the entire thread went the
wrong direction because of confusion about the meaning of words.
5) The only way to get things back on track is to agree on commonly accepted
definitions of the word "boil" in this case.
6) The only way to keep things on track in the future is by continually pointing
out that people must use words as defined and NOT as they, in their
imagination, think words are defined.
7) If a person as intelligent, well-versed, educated, and logical as Gilligan
is confused about the meaning of certain words just how lacking is the
understanding of the average subscriber here who lacks education beyond the
8th grade level.
8) Why should those of with Masters and Doctorates lower ourselves
the level of 8th graders. Isn't it more productive to attempt to raise
8th grader understanding to at least a high school graduate level?

If you'll recall Gilligan's original reply it stated something to the effect
that cavitation happens because the prop boils the water. I say any prop
that boils water is useless as a prop but handy as a water heater for
showers and such. Therefore such a prop is useless for moving a yacht
and, as such, discussing it under the heading of "Useless propeller" is
entirely correct.

Paladin

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote:

I can tell I am battling against a person of towering intellect who does
not
back down when guided by the light of truth.

I must give in and say Uncle.

Who is this man so knowledgeable in the ways of science?

Neal

CWM

Capt Neal is touring the country in his fully restored Airstream trailer. He
visited the fine state of Colorado last month. No one, not even Paladin, can
be as brilliant as the good Capt, though Simple Simon came close.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

"Thom Stewart" wrote
| Can't Help It Paladin,
|
| If you're so Damn Smart, why are you rambling on about language and
| boiling under the heading of: "USELESS PROPELLER!" That's stupid!

Nail... Hammer...

Paladin wrote:
You and most others here demonstrate shallowness of thinking. What's stupid
is to expect to even attempt to discuss the utility or uselessness of propellers
if folks are speaking different languages. And, mark my word, unless folks
can agree on word definitions they are speaking different languages.

1) The discussion media here is the written word.
2) Written words have specific and agreed upon meanings.
3) Unless those meanings are understood clearly by all concerned discussion is
confusing and meaningless.
4) I'm "rambling on about language and boiling" because the entire thread went the
wrong direction because of confusion about the meaning of words.
5) The only way to get things back on track is to agree on commonly accepted
definitions of the word "boil" in this case.

Among some people, it is "commonly accepted" that the world
is flat. Does that make it so?

Your attempt to describe cavitation using a dictionary is
just plain dumb.

Here is a dictionary that defines "boil" perfectly, at least
with regard to you personally:
http://www.medterms.com/script/main/...rticlekey=2498

If you'll recall Gilligan's original reply it stated something to the effect
that cavitation happens because the prop boils the water.

"Something to the effect"??
This is the internet. Why not quote his post exactly, unless
you are either too stupid to figure out how, or have a
spurious agenda to conceal his actual statement.

... I say any prop
that boils water is useless as a prop

If that were all it did, then you'd be totally correct.
However, under the specific circumstances, any propellor
will boil water.

When people who live in the mountains make their tea and/or
coffee, do they boil their water or does the lower
atmospheric pressure mean that they are "vaporizing" it?

A stove is a device for transferring energy from an outside
source into the food. A propellor is a device for
transferring energy from the boat's engine into the water.
Two devices for transferring energy, surely they can both be
said to "boil" things.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"DSK" wrote in message .. .
| "Thom Stewart" wrote
| | Can't Help It Paladin,
| |
| | If you're so Damn Smart, why are you rambling on about language and
| | boiling under the heading of: "USELESS PROPELLER!" That's stupid!
|

| Nail... Hammer...
|

| Paladin wrote:
| You and most others here demonstrate shallowness of thinking. What's stupid
| is to expect to even attempt to discuss the utility or uselessness of propellers
| if folks are speaking different languages. And, mark my word, unless folks
| can agree on word definitions they are speaking different languages.
|
| 1) The discussion media here is the written word.
| 2) Written words have specific and agreed upon meanings.
| 3) Unless those meanings are understood clearly by all concerned discussion is
| confusing and meaningless.
| 4) I'm "rambling on about language and boiling" because the entire thread went the
| wrong direction because of confusion about the meaning of words.
| 5) The only way to get things back on track is to agree on commonly accepted
| definitions of the word "boil" in this case.
|
| Among some people, it is "commonly accepted" that the world
| is flat. Does that make it so?

Too stupid an analogy to merit comment...

| Your attempt to describe cavitation using a dictionary is
| just plain dumb.

Your thinking that's what I'm doing is just plain dumber...

One boils water by adding heat.

One doesn't boil water by reducing pressure. The verb
"to boil" simply does not apply to the vaporization of
water by reducing pressure. It follows that any process
that vaporizes water by heating it can correctly be said
to be boiling the water. Any process that vaporizes water
by lowering pressure cannot be said to be boiling water
by definition. It can only be said that lowering pressure
vaporizes water.

| Here is a dictionary that defines "boil" perfectly, at least
| with regard to you personally:
| http://www.medterms.com/script/main/...rticlekey=2498

Duh? Too dumb to differentiate between a noun and a verb?
You must be one of those 8th grade education individuals I
mentioned.

| If you'll recall Gilligan's original reply it stated something to the effect
| that cavitation happens because the prop boils the water.
|
| "Something to the effect"??
| This is the internet. Why not quote his post exactly, unless
| you are either too stupid to figure out how, or have a
| spurious agenda to conceal his actual statement.

Are you too stupid to follow the thread back and read it yourself?
Why should I do your research for you?

| ... I say any prop
| that boils water is useless as a prop
|
| If that were all it did, then you'd be totally correct.
| However, under the specific circumstances, any propellor
| will boil water.

The specific circumstances would have to be enough electricity
running through the prop to heat it up like the element in an
electric water heater.

| When people who live in the mountains make their tea and/or
| coffee, do they boil their water or does the lower
| atmospheric pressure mean that they are "vaporizing" it?

They are adding heat only so they are boiling it. The lower
atmospheric pressure only means they are able to boil water
usling fewer BTUs because the boiling point temp is lowered.

| A stove is a device for transferring energy from an outside
| source into the food. A propellor is a device for
| transferring energy from the boat's engine into the water.
| Two devices for transferring energy, surely they can both be
| said to "boil" things.

They cannot! The definition of the verb "to boil" precludes it.

Paladin

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Borked Pseudo Mailed" wrote in message d.net...
| Paladin wrote:
|
| | Suppose I have water in a beaker and place it in a bell jar. The air in the
| | bell jar is pumped out, lowering the pressure. Eventually the water begins
| | to boil.
| |
| | Where is the heat source causing it to boil?
|
| There is no heat source in that case but the water
| is not boiling.
|
| Clueless nonsense. The boiling point of water depends on ambient
| pressure, and with sufficient evacuation of air it's boiling point can
| be reduced to room temperature or lower. In fact in a vacuum water's
| boiling point and freezing point are the same. It's called being at
| "triple point". It's how thermometers are calibrated as a matter of
| fact.

The definition of boiling in English states that it's a process
induced by adding heat. It says nothing about reducing pressure.

To claim you can make water boil by reducing pressure is erroneous.
(where's the application of heat?)

You can only vaporize water by reducing pressure. You can't boil
water by reducing pressure. Saying "I'm gonna boil this water
by reducing pressure" is like saying, "I'm gonna drink this beer
by putting it up my ass via enema." Just as the verb "to drink" means
to ingest via the mouth and esophagus so does the verb "to boil"
mean vaporize by adding heat.

| Honestly, this is 7th grade general science in MOST school districts.
| Which tells us you not nearly as "brilliant" as you believe you are.

And, your lack of understanding of a simple word definition and its
implications means you're lacking insight.

Paladin