posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Default Sirius and Ipod on Board

He can't even copy a correct address out of the phone book.

Yet you whined and cried as if he posted pics of your wife before the
sex change operation!!!

Bwahahahahahahaha!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Temps?

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Temps?

Never mind. Get MM's help. He'll hook you up!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

seems he was only here to trash your review commode.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

I thougth you said that derogatory comments about someone's wife was
wrong...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
He can't even copy a correct address out of the phone book.

Yet you whined and cried as if he posted pics of your wife before the
sex change operation!!!

Bwahahahahahahaha!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

I cried? Where? Prove it.

Commode Rob cried....
He can't even copy a correct address out of the phone book.

Yet you whined and cried as if he posted pics of your wife

before the
sex change operation!!!

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Steve Dooley

Great smackdown!

Can you do a few more?

Steve Dooley

"Michael May" wrote in message
Capt. Rob wrote:
Suzanne just bought me the Sirius Replay radio for the car and boat!!!
For those of you who have yet to try Satellite radio, you'll never
listen to regular radio again. XM is also excellent.

For my B'Day Suzanne bought me the new Video Ipod 60 gig. For those of
you who don't mind mixing music with sailing, the Ipod holds about 1300
CDs. We have put nearly 150 CDs on the Ipod along with original Star
Trek episodes! It docks on board with the stereo and replaces the
jumble of CDs and tapes. We still will keep the DVD on board, but it
probably won't see much use.

For those considering an Ipod, here's my review...

The Apple Ipod G5 60 gig is the latest personal audio/video system
available from Apple. This latest version heavily plugs it's video
abilities. With these units you can transfer downloads music and video
to the Ipod and listen at your leisure. You may also download and watch
TV and movies as well as video podcasts.
Here's what you need to know:
The Ipod is very small and thin and is available in black or white.
Both versions are highly vulnerable to surface scratches to the point
of being ludicrous.

The only thing that I would suggest is ludicrous is someone so obviously
naive with regard to MP3/Video players that you consider yourself capable
of "reviewing" the product.

I see now why so many on these newsgroups regard you as a total fool.

You will have to buy a cover/case for the unit from
day one. The software included is Itunes and it's a somewhat clumsy and
dated chuck of software.

What would you suggest is better? Nothing, iTunes sets the standard, it is
updated several times a year and functions in an easy and logical manner.
Perhaps it is you who is clumsy and dated.

Once you learn it you'll wonder that they
couldn't make it more intuitive. It does work fine after you've
mastered it and you can easily transfer CDs and downloaded music files
to the Ipod.

Most ten year olds take two or three minutes to "master" it. What caused
you problems?

Navigating the Ipod's simple menu system is used with a touch sensitive
non-mechanical wheel. It works well, though it's a little to easy to
make a wrong selection. Practice won't make perfect, but it works okay.

I have one, it is my third iPod and I have never had a problem with wrong
selections. You appear to be very inept in many areas aside from matters
nautical.

The screen is bright and has good resolution, better than other units
currently out. Amazingly, Apple Quicktime and other common formats
won't play on the Ipod.

Why would you want them to? You need a format to match the screen size or
you will be wasting storage space.

Apple wants to you spend 30 dollars on software
to covert files for video playback. This bad business is easily solved
since free software is available online to covert files, but it's a
dumb step. You may also connect the unit to a TV set for video quality
that's worse than VHS tape, but serviceable, especially on smaller
screens under 20 inches.

Idiot. The video resolution is for the screen on the iPod, why would you
expect it to offer good resolution on a TV?

This is a good unit for video on a boat or RV.
Apple will try to sell you a cable for A/V output but any Mini to RCA
stereo plug will work as will any camcorder mini to stereo/Video plug
set. Apple switched one of the audio lines with the video to make
people think they needed the Apple cable.

Bull****! You are, as usual, confused.

Just find the Video line of
the three and your done. Sorry Apple.
There's been a lot of complaints that Apple did not include the charger
with the unit. I have to say that Apple should be ashamed and if I had
not gotten this as a gift I'd never have bought it on that point alone.

But then, you are a fool who can't see the logic in anything. Most people
who bought the early iPods didn't use the charger (but paid for it in the
purchase price) because the unit charges itself while connected to the
computer. Most people have it connected to their computer when not being
carried and appreciate not wasting the money on a charger they never use.

The Ipod's audio quality is good, but not with the included ear buds
which may or may not stay in your ears. I threw mine away. They are
junk.

They are excellent with regard to audio quality, you just aren't used to
the "in ear" style.

A proper set of headphones will be a worthwhile purchase.

Idiot. Running a "proper set of headphones" will flatten the battery at a
much faster rate. Headphones draw much more current than bud style
earpieces.

There
are no user EQ adjustments on the Ipod, only volume. Older folks who's
hearing has frequency loss will be unable to adjust to suit them.

Idiot. Read the manual. There are twenty pre-set EQ adjustments.

To summarize: The new Video Ipod is a stylish and useful player, but it
is marred by lack of features and Apple's efforts to force owners to
buy basic essentials that should have been in the box...such as a
charger, cables and basic video software. Apple's attitude has kept me
from being a fan of their products for many years and the Ipod, even as
a gift, has proven to me that they continue to abuse their customer
base while pushing style of substance.

You really are a dim witted, slow thinking, narrow minded fool. There are
a wide range of accessories available, many of which people may already
own. Why include something that in many cases will never be used? Better
to keep the price lower and make them optional. Who the hell doesn't
already own a stack of the necessary cables? Oh, you of course, the
technological newbie. I have a drawer full of Firewire, USB, video and
audio cables, as would many other people. Is this the first bit of modern
technology that you have ever owned? It appears that way after wading
through your whinges.

Still, this IS a good player, once you buy the extras and it's fun to
use. In spite of my complaints 4 out 5 stars. Capt. RB

MM

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Steve Dooley

Doofus:

Earbuds directly drive the ear canals. The eardrum size and canal shape is
what limits low frequency hearing. Your big, clunky ABC Wide World of Sports
headphones just give you sweaty ears. Ear buds are the best.

Mr. May is correct on all points.

Steve Dooley

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
hanks for the real scoop on ipods MM!

Yup, Joe believes the following from MM....

Earbuds offer good quality sound, Joe doesn't need a charger because he
has one from his old Ipod, the new Video Ipod has a real variable EQ,
the mini video out on the Ipod is the same as a camcorder jack...all
wrong. Check the Apple website forums, Joe. Learn something.
Your talking LCD without describing temps? Brilliant, Joe. You'll do
great!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Michael May

Joe wrote:
No kidding Scotty... I felt the deck shutter the slamdown was so solid.
Lets hope MM stays around as our new king of tech news and advice,
clearly the commode has fallen way behind the times.

I apologise. I am not normally so rude to people but after having read
this, (among a half dozen others) newsgroup for some time now, I am sick
of the miasma of rudeness, arrogance and inanity that seems to surround
our little iPod denigrating pretend sailor. The final straw for me was
his recent ad hominem attack on other men's wives.

I am also blessed with an attractive, charming and very intelligent
wife, but if she for one instant thought that I valued her only for her
sex appeal she would be extremely offended. If she was to find me using
her to put other women down, she would probably go out and have her face
tattooed or something similar, to teach me a lesson. She would also
permanently lose all respect for me.

It has been a trying time here (Oz - Queensland) with very high
temperatures compounded by a succession of violent storms. Have had our
boat on the hard for the past week and after several days of breathing
anti-fouling dust, had a sudden storm that destroyed a two-pack
brightwork makeover. Had just finished - everything still wet when it
hit, complete with gale force winds, dust then rain and hail.

My more delightful half has gone to cooler climes, visiting a daughter
down south, and entrusting me to my own devices. One of which was
actually responding to a newsgroup post.

Thanks for the real scoop on ipods MM!

The video iPods, as far as video goes, are of limited use to someone
like me. Very much a one person thing. My kids love them for personal
viewing but I only tend to watch a movie etc., as a shared experience,
so don't find that aspect so useful. The resolution is too poor to be
used as media source for displaying on a larger screen, but as a device
for storing music, audio of all types, and photos, they are hard to
beat. I have, as well as a great deal of music, a large collection of
old-time radio shows, all available on the net and legal, not under
copyright. Everything from Amos and Andy to The Shadow. My wife and I
find them entertaining, often more so than many modern TV shows. They
are also good for audio books, language courses etc.

Any suggestion on a flat screen TV?
I have 22"X34" of space... viewers will only be 8 ft from the screen.
Should I go plasma, LCD, what? Like to keep it under 2K and fill the
space. Needs to be 4" thin ambient lighting would be cool to. What do
you suggest?

Hard to make a suggestion for someone without knowing what is available
locally to them. My answer, while ideal for me might not suit many
others. I have a MacIntosh iMac with a 21" widescreen that serves as my
main computer, my Nav computer and as a media centre when swiveled to
face the Saloon. It also feeds - via UHF radio, flat screen (LCD not
plasma) TVs in the staterooms and crew cabins. The system has DVD and
audio plus mast mounted all weather security cameras triggered by active
infrared sensors that will pop up on screen whenever triggered. I don't
find the difference in quality between Plasma and LCD to justify the
cost, though in the early days the difference was noticeable. The iMac
has two external 240 gig drives for media storage and can store in
excess of 200 full length, full quality DVDs. We record a great many
movies and shows when able, for viewing when cruising. It allows us to
rent, record and return videos for later viewing, much better and less
illegal than copying DVDs.

I do not use an inverter, all of my AC electronic devices use twelve,
six, five and three volt rails and I have a current limited power supply
providing these voltages when and where required and have modified all
equipment to input what is necessary. They still work when plugged into
conventional AC outlets but work from the ship's 12 volt supply without
the losses incurred by an inverter.

BTW, I have a 22 Metre, Danish designed, locally built, all steel, pilot
house, cutter rigged sloop, (Regina Bellus) purchased after previously
sailing for more than twenty-five years with a Roberts Mauritius Ketch.
She heels a lot more than a ketch would, much taller rig, but
considering her size, the rig in conjunction with (radio controlled)
remote steering is about all that will allow her to be single handed if
necessary. We usually have volunteer crew, but often sail with just the
two of us. Haven't *had* to test her single handed yet, but it shouldn't
pose a problem if need be.

I am English born, ex Navy, relocated to Australia in the eighties, now
have an Australian born wife. We sold our primary home, plus the
Mauritius and one of our investment homes five years ago to purchase the
Regina Bellus and haven't had cause to look back since. I am in my
fifties and my wife in her early forties - we have quite a few years of
cruising ahead of us. I am a writer, my wife a photographer and we
supplement our income with our skills. Don't make a fortune, but
sufficient to avoid dipping into our savings or selling another
investment home.

I often read various sailing oriented newsgroups but seldom post, mostly
because of the constant foolish and annoying behaviour of people like
Capt. Rob and his apparent collection of either sock puppets or
emulators. I will try to ignore him in future rather than set an equally
bad examples for others.

We have to be back in the water by Feb in order to keep a rendevous with
cruising friends in Vanuatu so the recent setbacks are more than usually
annoying. It is also much hotter on the hard as far as living aboard
goes, (I don't believe in air conditioning ... but have recently
purchased a number of industrial quality fans ) so am looking forward
to Feb.

Cheers

Michael