posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Default Sirius and Ipod on Board

Suzanne just bought me the Sirius Replay radio for the car and boat!!!
For those of you who have yet to try Satellite radio, you'll never
listen to regular radio again. XM is also excellent.

For my B'Day Suzanne bought me the new Video Ipod 60 gig. For those of
you who don't mind mixing music with sailing, the Ipod holds about 1300
CDs. We have put nearly 150 CDs on the Ipod along with original Star
Trek episodes! It docks on board with the stereo and replaces the
jumble of CDs and tapes. We still will keep the DVD on board, but it
probably won't see much use.

For those considering an Ipod, here's my review...

The Apple Ipod G5 60 gig is the latest personal audio/video system
available from Apple. This latest version heavily plugs it's video
abilities. With these units you can transfer downloads music and video
to the Ipod and listen at your leisure. You may also download and watch
TV and movies as well as video podcasts.
Here's what you need to know:
The Ipod is very small and thin and is available in black or white.
Both versions are highly vulnerable to surface scratches to the point
of being ludicrous. You will have to buy a cover/case for the unit from
day one. The software included is Itunes and it's a somewhat clumsy and
dated chuck of software. Once you learn it you'll wonder that they
couldn't make it more intuitive. It does work fine after you've
mastered it and you can easily transfer CDs and downloaded music files
to the Ipod.
Navigating the Ipod's simple menu system is used with a touch sensitive
non-mechanical wheel. It works well, though it's a little to easy to
make a wrong selection. Practice won't make perfect, but it works okay.

The screen is bright and has good resolution, better than other units
currently out. Amazingly, Apple Quicktime and other common formats
won't play on the Ipod. Apple wants to you spend 30 dollars on software
to covert files for video playback. This bad business is easily solved
since free software is available online to covert files, but it's a
dumb step. You may also connect the unit to a TV set for video quality
that's worse than VHS tape, but serviceable, especially on smaller
screens under 20 inches. This is a good unit for video on a boat or RV.
Apple will try to sell you a cable for A/V output but any Mini to RCA
stereo plug will work as will any camcorder mini to stereo/Video plug
set. Apple switched one of the audio lines with the video to make
people think they needed the Apple cable. Just find the Video line of
the three and your done. Sorry Apple.
There's been a lot of complaints that Apple did not include the charger
with the unit. I have to say that Apple should be ashamed and if I had
not gotten this as a gift I'd never have bought it on that point alone.

The Ipod's audio quality is good, but not with the included ear buds
which may or may not stay in your ears. I threw mine away. They are
junk. A proper set of headphones will be a worthwhile purchase. There
are no user EQ adjustments on the Ipod, only volume. Older folks who's
hearing has frequency loss will be unable to adjust to suit them.
To summarize: The new Video Ipod is a stylish and useful player, but it
is marred by lack of features and Apple's efforts to force owners to
buy basic essentials that should have been in the box...such as a
charger, cables and basic video software. Apple's attitude has kept me
from being a fan of their products for many years and the Ipod, even as
a gift, has proven to me that they continue to abuse their customer
base while pushing style of substance.
Still, this IS a good player, once you buy the extras and it's fun to
use. In spite of my complaints 4 out 5 stars.
Capt. RB

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

Swabbie is right about the iPod. Make note of it because
it may be the first and only time he will ever be right.

I used an iPod on a charter last March and loved it.
The only problem was the FM interface to the stereo was
degraded by the boat's Navigation equipment--this was not
a problem when anchored and these instruments are off.
I've since bought a hard wire interface for my home stereo.
That might be more of a pain to hook up on a charter, but
certainly worth the effort for your own boat.

This charter boat had a Sat radio system, which we didn't
use once. I saw no need for it given our huge music selection
and personal playlists, unless you want news. Who wants news
in the islands? Not me! I go to the islands to tune out all the
evil in the world. Sat Radio playlists are crap no matter what
channel you chose and I hate the voice commentary.

I've been using Harmon Kardan Sound Stick II's for computer
speakers to play MPEGs and find I use my computer for a music
far more than I do my iPod driven stereo. I plan to bypass the
power supply to run these off DC on the boat.

My plan is to mount the SS/II's two column speakers on
clamps and lengthen the wire feeding them. This would
make a great sounding portable music solution for anywhere.
The SS/II's have four tweeters in each column driving a tuned
port for mid range. The single subwoofer also has a tuned cavity
with plenty of punch without needed a huge amp to drive it.
At only $119, I strongly recommend these speakers.

"J Beck" wrote
Who Cares!!!!!

"Capt. Rob" wrote
Suzanne just bought me the Sirius Replay radio for the car and boat!!!
For those of you who have yet to try Satellite radio, you'll never
listen to regular radio again. XM is also excellent.

For my B'Day Suzanne bought me the new Video Ipod 60 gig. For those of
you who don't mind mixing music with sailing, the Ipod holds about 1300
CDs. We have put nearly 150 CDs on the Ipod along with original Star
Trek episodes! It docks on board with the stereo and replaces the
jumble of CDs and tapes. We still will keep the DVD on board, but it
probably won't see much use.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

BTW, I bought a 250 GB drive and put it in a portable
USB 2 enclosure for less about $90.

It took about 45 minutes to back up 65 GB of MPEGs.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

Swaboid is usually right about cameras, home theater, consumer optics, and
even boats (but not necessarily sailing).

It's really sad that such good qualities are overshadowed by cruelty.

Hell will be a fun place when he arrives there!

Amen!

"Bart Senior" .@. wrote in message ...
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Suzanne just bought me the Sirius Replay radio for the car and boat!!!
For those of you who have yet to try Satellite radio, you'll never
listen to regular radio again. XM is also excellent.

Yes, but XM doesn't have Howard Stern. Then again XM didn't have to pay him
$800 million and risk going bankrupt either.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

"Maxprop" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Suzanne just bought me the Sirius Replay radio for the car

and boat!!!
For those of you who have yet to try Satellite radio, you'll

never
listen to regular radio again. XM is also excellent.

Yes, but XM doesn't have Howard Stern. Then again XM didn't

have to pay him
$800 million and risk going bankrupt either.

More proof that this country is in a downward spiral.

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Suzanne just bought me the Sirius Replay radio for the car and boat!!!
For those of you who have yet to try Satellite radio, you'll never
listen to regular radio again. XM is also excellent.

Good Grief.... I've had Sirius Radio aboard for a while now.

What Back Water 3rd World Country do you live in???

BTW - I still listen to regular radio as well.

CM

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

I'm glad you mentioned that Max. I would not sign up
for either service, but if I did change my mind at some
point, I'd never consider XM if Howard Stern is on there.

"Maxprop" wrote
Yes, but XM doesn't have Howard Stern. Then again XM didn't have to pay
him $800 million and risk going bankrupt either.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
rgnmstr

The Apple Ipod G5 60 gig is the latest personal audio/video system
available from Apple...

Wrong as usual. The latest one is just now being shown at the CES Show.