posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

Default Sirius and Ipod on Board

"Scotty" wrote in message
"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
It has a true "old time" radio effect,

Sirius has channels for real old time radio shows, everything

from War
of the Worlds to Lights Out.

and The Lone Ranger?

How about "only The Shadow knows . . ." (followed by Theremin sounds)

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Michael May

Capt. Rob wrote:
Suzanne just bought me the Sirius Replay radio for the car and boat!!!
For those of you who have yet to try Satellite radio, you'll never
listen to regular radio again. XM is also excellent.

For my B'Day Suzanne bought me the new Video Ipod 60 gig. For those of
you who don't mind mixing music with sailing, the Ipod holds about 1300
CDs. We have put nearly 150 CDs on the Ipod along with original Star
Trek episodes! It docks on board with the stereo and replaces the
jumble of CDs and tapes. We still will keep the DVD on board, but it
probably won't see much use.

For those considering an Ipod, here's my review...

The Apple Ipod G5 60 gig is the latest personal audio/video system
available from Apple. This latest version heavily plugs it's video
abilities. With these units you can transfer downloads music and video
to the Ipod and listen at your leisure. You may also download and watch
TV and movies as well as video podcasts.
Here's what you need to know:
The Ipod is very small and thin and is available in black or white.
Both versions are highly vulnerable to surface scratches to the point
of being ludicrous.

The only thing that I would suggest is ludicrous is someone so obviously
naive with regard to MP3/Video players that you consider yourself
capable of "reviewing" the product.

I see now why so many on these newsgroups regard you as a total fool.

You will have to buy a cover/case for the unit from
day one. The software included is Itunes and it's a somewhat clumsy and
dated chuck of software.

What would you suggest is better? Nothing, iTunes sets the standard, it
is updated several times a year and functions in an easy and logical
manner. Perhaps it is you who is clumsy and dated.

Once you learn it you'll wonder that they
couldn't make it more intuitive. It does work fine after you've
mastered it and you can easily transfer CDs and downloaded music files
to the Ipod.

Most ten year olds take two or three minutes to "master" it. What caused
you problems?

Navigating the Ipod's simple menu system is used with a touch sensitive
non-mechanical wheel. It works well, though it's a little to easy to
make a wrong selection. Practice won't make perfect, but it works okay.

I have one, it is my third iPod and I have never had a problem with
wrong selections. You appear to be very inept in many areas aside from
matters nautical.

The screen is bright and has good resolution, better than other units
currently out. Amazingly, Apple Quicktime and other common formats
won't play on the Ipod.

Why would you want them to? You need a format to match the screen size
or you will be wasting storage space.

Apple wants to you spend 30 dollars on software
to covert files for video playback. This bad business is easily solved
since free software is available online to covert files, but it's a
dumb step. You may also connect the unit to a TV set for video quality
that's worse than VHS tape, but serviceable, especially on smaller
screens under 20 inches.

Idiot. The video resolution is for the screen on the iPod, why would you
expect it to offer good resolution on a TV?

This is a good unit for video on a boat or RV.
Apple will try to sell you a cable for A/V output but any Mini to RCA
stereo plug will work as will any camcorder mini to stereo/Video plug
set. Apple switched one of the audio lines with the video to make
people think they needed the Apple cable.

Bull****! You are, as usual, confused.

Just find the Video line of
the three and your done. Sorry Apple.
There's been a lot of complaints that Apple did not include the charger
with the unit. I have to say that Apple should be ashamed and if I had
not gotten this as a gift I'd never have bought it on that point alone.

But then, you are a fool who can't see the logic in anything. Most
people who bought the early iPods didn't use the charger (but paid for
it in the purchase price) because the unit charges itself while
connected to the computer. Most people have it connected to their
computer when not being carried and appreciate not wasting the money on
a charger they never use.

The Ipod's audio quality is good, but not with the included ear buds
which may or may not stay in your ears. I threw mine away. They are
junk.

They are excellent with regard to audio quality, you just aren't used to
the "in ear" style.

A proper set of headphones will be a worthwhile purchase.

Idiot. Running a "proper set of headphones" will flatten the battery at
a much faster rate. Headphones draw much more current than bud style
earpieces.

There
are no user EQ adjustments on the Ipod, only volume. Older folks who's
hearing has frequency loss will be unable to adjust to suit them.

Idiot. Read the manual. There are twenty pre-set EQ adjustments.

To summarize: The new Video Ipod is a stylish and useful player, but it
is marred by lack of features and Apple's efforts to force owners to
buy basic essentials that should have been in the box...such as a
charger, cables and basic video software. Apple's attitude has kept me
from being a fan of their products for many years and the Ipod, even as
a gift, has proven to me that they continue to abuse their customer
base while pushing style of substance.

You really are a dim witted, slow thinking, narrow minded fool. There
are a wide range of accessories available, many of which people may
already own. Why include something that in many cases will never be
used? Better to keep the price lower and make them optional. Who the
hell doesn't already own a stack of the necessary cables? Oh, you of
course, the technological newbie. I have a drawer full of Firewire, USB,
video and audio cables, as would many other people. Is this the first
bit of modern technology that you have ever owned? It appears that way
after wading through your whinges.

Still, this IS a good player, once you buy the extras and it's fun to
use. In spite of my complaints 4 out 5 stars.
Capt. RB

MM
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

I wouldn't give it out here, Ole Krusty would then publish family pictures,
tax returns, SSN's, business filings, HIPAA information and the like.

Have you ever worked the 1760 meter band?

Amen!

Jeesus talks to God with a Hallicrafters!

Amen!

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Poor michael...let's help him....

What would you suggest is better?

Itunes is clumsy and uses up a lot of system resources when running.
This has been mentioned in most reviews.

Most ten year olds take two or three minutes to "master" it.

If you had a clue about the market, you'd know it's the older set that
has some problems with software. You are clearly disconnected.

Most people have it connected to their
computer when not being carried and appreciate not wasting the money on

a charger they never use.

Don't know anyone who didn't get the charger. You must never leave your
house. You also need the car charger or battery backup. Some of us get
on planes and boats and even sleep on them. Did you notice this is a
sailing group, Pinhead?

The video resolution is for the screen on the iPod, why would you
expect it to offer good resolution on a TV?

Where did I say I expected better quality. I'm pointing out that the
quality is fair at best. Should it be better? Of course, and it will be
on future units which is the whole point of a video out, dumbass!

Why would you want them to? You need a format to match the screen
size
or you will be wasting storage space.

Have you checked the file size diff? I have. It's quite close. The
conversion saves little and even if you need every drop of space, who
ever heard of charging for software for basic operation, such as using
the video at all?

Bull****! You are, as usual, confused.

Sorry, you're wrong and the Apple forum is quite clear on the matter.
Apple took a standard mini camcorder plug based female jack and swapped
an audio channel with the video in an attempt to make one more sale.
Plug one in and the right channel is video.

They are excellent with regard to audio quality, you just aren't
used to
the "in ear" style.

Bwahahahahaha! I guess you've never had even a 50 dollar set of
headphones. The ear buds are awful for anyone but teens and junior
accountants. Horrible midrange, poor lows. Awful and I don't know
anyone who didn't upgrade. I'm guessing you're about 17 years old.

Running a "proper set of headphones" will flatten the battery at
a much faster rate. Headphones draw much more current than bud style
earpieces.

Thanks for that newsflash, but I'll enjoy 12 hours of good quality
sound to the 18 hours of crappy sounding buds. Again, everyone gets
better phones.

Idiot. Read the manual. There are twenty pre-set EQ adjustments.

Idiot. Presets suck. Apple needs a real variable EQ as on some other
players.

Oh, you of
course, the technological newbie. I have a drawer full of Firewire,
USB,
video and audio cables, as would many other people. Is this the first
bit of modern technology that you have ever owned? It appears that way
after wading through your whinges.

This poor sod. I've already shot a feature on Hi def, editted on Avid
and dumped back to DV and 35mm. I've forgotten more about this
technology than you'll ever know. My last audio system had a center
channel that cost more than your house. Apple is dumb to not include
the charger. Go to the forums. It's the #1 complaint along with the
horrible case that gets scratched so easily. Oh, so we all buy skins.
Does this make the Apple case good?
The Ipod is slick, but there's a ton of room for improvement.
And you managed to pick of a barrel of your mommy's **** and drink it
in one gulp! Congrats!!!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

No kidding Scotty... I felt the deck shutter the slamdown was so solid.
Lets hope MM stays around as our new king of tech news and advice,
clearly the commode has fallen way behind the times.

Thanks for the real scoop on ipods MM!

Any suggestion on a flat screen TV?
I have 22"X34" of space... viewers will only be 8 ft from the screen.
Should I go plasma, LCD, what? Like to keep it under 2K and fill the
space. Needs to be 4" thin ambient lighting would be cool to. What do
you suggest?

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Commode Rob, your talking to yourself......................... again.

Joe
Your Owner

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

hanks for the real scoop on ipods MM!

Yup, Joe believes the following from MM....

Earbuds offer good quality sound, Joe doesn't need a charger because he
has one from his old Ipod, the new Video Ipod has a real variable EQ,
the mini video out on the Ipod is the same as a camcorder jack...all
wrong. Check the Apple website forums, Joe. Learn something.
Your talking LCD without describing temps? Brilliant, Joe. You'll do
great!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message
ink.net...
I wouldn't give it out here, Ole Krusty would then publish family pictures,
tax returns, SSN's, business filings, HIPAA information and the like.

True. I really didn't expect you to provide it, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Have you ever worked the 1760 meter band?

No.

Jeesus talks to God with a Hallicrafters!

He switched to an equally-ancient Collins a few years back, so I heard.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

"Maxprop" wrote in message
.net...

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message
ink.net...
I wouldn't give it out here, Ole Krusty would then publish

family pictures,
tax returns, SSN's, business filings, HIPAA information and

the like.

He can't even copy a correct address out of the phone book.

--
Scott Vernon
Plowville Pa _/)__/)_/)_