posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

Default Sirius and Ipod on Board

Mchael,

What do you use for software on your iMac. I'm not aware
of any navigational software for that platform.

I'd be curious to see the schematics of the control circuits, and
a list of hardware used for your security system.

Do you have any pictures you can share with us?

Bart

"Michael May" wrote
Hard to make a suggestion for someone without knowing what is available
locally to them. My answer, while ideal for me might not suit many others.
I have a MacIntosh iMac with a 21" widescreen that serves as my main
computer, my Nav computer and as a media centre when swiveled to face the
Saloon. It also feeds - via UHF radio, flat screen (LCD not plasma) TVs in
the staterooms and crew cabins. The system has DVD and audio plus mast
mounted all weather security cameras triggered by active infrared sensors
that will pop up on screen whenever triggered. I don't find the difference
in quality between Plasma and LCD to justify the cost, though in the early
days the difference was noticeable. The iMac has two external 240 gig
drives for media storage and can store in excess of 200 full length, full
quality DVDs. We record a great many movies and shows when able, for
viewing when cruising. It allows us to rent, record and return videos for
later viewing, much better and less illegal than copying DVDs.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

Bob good point about he lurkers. We have not done the
annual Lurker Check-In!

"Bob Crantz" wrote
Great smackdown there Michael!

Look at the bright side, at least Capt. Rob brings out the lurkers.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Michael May

Bart Senior wrote:
Mchael,

What do you use for software on your iMac. I'm not aware
of any navigational software for that platform.

There are several nav packages that are Mac based, I own most and each,
like those for Windows platforms, has its advantages and limitations.

Check out http://www.powercruising.com/macnaut.html

I also run most of the PC based packages as well. One of the nice things
about the Imac G5 is that with its 64 bit processor and a few gig of ram
it runs Microsoft's Virtual PC with decent speed and better reliability
than I used to get with the earlier Windows (98) boxes.

Contrary to some expressed views on here, I am not a Mac fanatic, I am
an IT professional. IT hardware and software is the focus of most of my
writing. I use a Mac because when outside a computer lab., I can run all
PC, Mac and Unix/Linux software. Something that most Mac owners know but
many PC owners don't, is that the OSX operating system on modern Macs is
actually a flavour of Unix. Macs can be used with the Apple GUI or from
a Unix GUI or command line. Add to that a 64 bit operating system, a few
gig of ram, some decent processor speed, good graphics etc., and you
have a very powerful and versatile system. There is a lot of public
domain/open source Unix/Linux software about that can be quickly and
easily modified to suit all manner of purposes. Control systems on a
cruising yacht is just one area of usefulness.

I'd be curious to see the schematics of the control circuits, and
a list of hardware used for your security system.

All over the counter electronic supply store hardware, software written
and compiled by me for the specific purpose. Commercial software for the
same purpose does exist; the same security that monitors a private home
works equally well from a yacht. My primary contribution to the hardware
was salt/waterproofing components and connections that were meant for
domestic use. Mostly achieved with overlapping heatshrink on all exposed
connections. Liberally applied high melting-point lithium grease under
all heatshrink seems to have helped. It has been five years now with no
corrosion or connection problems.

Do you have any pictures you can share with us?

Not as yet. I have a web site but it is related to my wife's and my
personal careers. My wife strongly objects to having pictures of her,
our daughters, or our home or yacht put on the web. Based primarily on
her observations on the behaviour over several years of the ratbags
observed on many newsgroups. She says that it make her feel creepy if
people she holds in low esteem have photos of her or the girls; or
access to details of our personal lives.

Several years ago, when we still had the the Mauritius I posted some
photos of the boat with my wife and daughters, dressed as you normally
expect when on board, and she got some sexually explicit email and phone
calls. Someone got our phone numbers from our website. Since then we do
not tie our web site to newsgroup posts, even though most newsgroups we
post to are career related. The yacht name, Regina Bellus is actually a
latin variation of her real name. We were going to name her that, but
ended up opting for the English version after a family vote. ;(

She is as otherwise described. I may, in fact probably will, set up a
new web site that I can post photos on, photos of the boat and places we
visit, minus photos that include my wife or daughters in swimwear etc.
The recent rubbish about men's wives and comments on their levels of
attractiveness simply reinforces the opinions of my female family
members. Regardless of the direction it takes, positive or negative, it
offends women to be rated like cattle or to have comments about their
appearance made by strangers.

Cheers

Michael
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

ot as yet. I have a web site but it is related to my wife's and my
personal careers. My wife strongly objects to having pictures of her,
our daughters, or our home or yacht put on the web.

Ohhhhhhh. You HAVE a website, but wife won't allow pics of your
BOAT???!!! And that's because you'll get calls from strangers?
SOCKPUPPET!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!! Joe is such
a tool!!!!

RB
35s5
NY