Bob Crantz

Default What owners say

What happened to your colon?

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...
Sorry, I didn't realize that your colon had become that enlarged!

I don't have a colon. Am homebound disabled.

RB

Capt. Rob

Did you have Crohn's disease?

No, but Crohn's killed my mother. I have something more mild and have
been in remission since Thomas was born.

RB

Bob Crantz

Ulcerative colitis (UC), a chronic inflammatory condition associated with a
predisposition to colon cancer, is frequently characterized by DNA damage in
the form of microsatellite instability (MSI). A new report links
inflammation in UC with increases in the DNA repair enzymes 3-methyladenine
DNA glycosylase and apurinic/apyrimidinic endonuclease, and, paradoxically,
with increased MSI. These findings may represent a novel mechanism
contributing to MSI in chronic inflammation.

A longstanding question in cancer research is the strong association between
certain chronic inflammatory conditions and the concomitant elevated risk
for malignancy in affected tissues. Understanding the molecular mechanisms
driving the progression to cancer may not only provide more effective means
of prevention but also shed light on mechanisms of carcinogenesis.
Ulcerative colitis (UC), which affects as many as 6 per 100,000 people in
the United States, is a relapsing form of chronic inflammatory disease of
the large bowel. Patients with more than a 10-year history of disease have a
20- to 30-fold greater risk of developing colorectal cancer (1). Both
chromosomal instability (CI) and microsatellite (short, repetitive
nucleotide sequences in DNA) instability (MSI) are present in UC and can be
detected early in dysplastic, premalignant tissues (2, 3). What are the
sources of these changes in DNA sequence? Chromosomal changes are frequent
in cancer and MSI has been clearly documented as a result of mutations in
mismatch repair enzymes in the hereditary nonpolyposis colon cancer
syndrome. MSI is also observed in many other malignancies (4). Accumulation
of mutations in microsatellites could be the result of alterations in
enzymes that normally guarantee DNA stability, thus leading to a mutator
phenotype (4). Existing hypotheses postulate that excess amounts of free
radicals found in inflamed UC tissues overwhelm DNA repair pathways, leading
to the accumulation of damaged DNA (5), or that mismatch repair pathways are
inactivated, either directly by oxidative stress (6) or by hypermethylation
(7). In the traditional view, members of DNA repair pathways are heroic
players, stoically laboring against the overwhelming tide of genetic insults
thrown their way.

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ps.com...
Did you have Crohn's disease?

No, but Crohn's killed my mother. I have something more mild and have
been in remission since Thomas was born.

RB

Bob Crantz

http://viper.med.unc.edu/surgery/gi/ipaa.html

"Martin Baxter" wrote in message
"Capt. Rob" wrote:

Why indeed? Unless you untie you can use the club facilities and save
the pump-out fee.

Why would I use the club facilities when I have a perfectly fine and
legal system on board with no holding tank required?

Sorry, I didn't realize that your colon had become that enlarged!

Cheers
Martin
RB

------------ And now a word from our sponsor ---------------------
For a secure high performance FTP using SSL/TLS encryption
upgrade to SurgeFTP
---- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_surgeftp.htm ----

Jonathan Ganz

In article .net,
Bob Crantz wrote:
Ulcerative colitis (UC), a chronic inflammatory condition associated with a
predisposition to colon cancer, is frequently characterized by DNA damage in
the form of microsatellite instability (MSI). A new report links
inflammation in UC with increases in the DNA repair enzymes 3-methyladenine
DNA glycosylase and apurinic/apyrimidinic endonuclease, and, paradoxically,
with increased MSI. These findings may represent a novel mechanism
contributing to MSI in chronic inflammation.

This is a pretty serious disease. A friend of mine almost died from
it. They had to remove most of his colon to save his life.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. Rob

This is a pretty serious disease. A friend of mine almost died from
it. They had to remove most of his colon to save his life.

Well in my case I never required the surgery. But it knocked me out for
quite a few years and for a while I wondered how much more I could
take. Still, I kept sailing, got married, had a son...and now I'm in
remission. I think it took the power of all three and a lot of effort
to do it or maybe I was just lucky. No sign of UC in my colon on my
last checkup and now I'm buying a hell of a nice boat.

RB
Beneteau First 35s5
NY

Scotty

"Captain Joe Redcloud©" wrote

Lectrosan??? Can't imagine having holding tank.

Not legal in many of the places Bobsprit is going to want to

sail.

His marina doesn't have a bathroom, or is the fat ass too lazy to
waddle to it?

You can treat
it all you want, and you can put what's left into the fridge.

Captain Joe Redcloud©

Jonathan Ganz

In article .com,
Capt. Rob wrote:
This is a pretty serious disease. A friend of mine almost died from
it. They had to remove most of his colon to save his life.

Well in my case I never required the surgery. But it knocked me out for
quite a few years and for a while I wondered how much more I could
take. Still, I kept sailing, got married, had a son...and now I'm in
remission. I think it took the power of all three and a lot of effort
to do it or maybe I was just lucky. No sign of UC in my colon on my
last checkup and now I'm buying a hell of a nice boat.

My friend had numerous surgeries. He went from 205 lbs. down to
135. Now, he's back to a normal weight.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com