Bob Crantz

Default What owners say

Motoring characterisitcs: Cant back up the folding prop worth a damn.
motors at appx 6 knots very nicely.
Liveability: I'm afraid, everything that makes her a great racer, makes her
a bad live aboard. She is narrow and compact (compared to many other 35'
boats.

Cockpit locker hinges are a terrible design. They are constantly in need of
repair. As my boat is getting older, I'm spending more time trying to find
wiring gremlins. as with most production boats, the wiring is just not
accessible. The holding tank is too small for any crew over one. Trouble is
it would be difficult to mount a new one in the space allocated. The Facnor
furling is prone to fouling. The previous owners were racers and didn't use
the system, hence I've spent considerable time trying to perfect the system.
Access to the engine is marginable.

We've got a folding prop. Great for sailing but forget it for serious
motoring. In a 20 kt head wind and moderate seas, she simply will not push
through. For simple ICW motoring, no problems but not a speedster.

Changes to a Max Prop in 1990 and can not over-state the difference from the
folding prop. We do lots of 2 week cruises in light air areas and the Max is
great. Very responsive under power in reverse

Upgraded complete electrical system with new AGM batteries and Smart Charger
in 1996

Roller furling changeout was a hassle. Still have problems with slack
headstay. Starboard and port lazarette lid hinges (have changed both out to
St.Stl. continous hinges), door hinges- have changed all of them.

The water supply pump in a difficult place to remove or maintain, however
original Johnson lasted 14 years. Also, water heater difficult to winterize.
No markings on plumbing lines. A Window leak destroyed "membrane" electric
panel, replaced with a Blue Seas panel. Someone put basic sailing
instruments in a homemade pod above companionway, which kills access to
cabin, and made for difficult dodger configuration. Have removed and moved
insts. to bulkhead and rebuilt dodger. For whatever reason, boat does not
sit on lines. Perhaps weight of 2 grp 27'S under port aft berth causes this.
Original batt. config. not enough amp hours available with refrigeration.
Many dings in non-skid, just a tad aggressive in my view. Leaves marks on my
bare feet.

28 hp Volvo, is a good engine. Won't push through against a 9 knot Cape Cod
canal current though. Motors easily at 6.5- 7 kts, at 3/4 throttle with
folding 2 blade prop

Would any of this stop you from buying this model of boat?

Capt. Neal®

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message k.net...
| Motoring characterisitcs: Cant back up the folding prop worth a damn.
| motors at appx 6 knots very nicely.
| Liveability: I'm afraid, everything that makes her a great racer, makes her
| a bad live aboard. She is narrow and compact (compared to many other 35'
| boats.
|

| Cockpit locker hinges are a terrible design. They are constantly in need of
| repair. As my boat is getting older, I'm spending more time trying to find
| wiring gremlins. as with most production boats, the wiring is just not
| accessible. The holding tank is too small for any crew over one. Trouble is
| it would be difficult to mount a new one in the space allocated. The Facnor
| furling is prone to fouling. The previous owners were racers and didn't use
| the system, hence I've spent considerable time trying to perfect the system.
| Access to the engine is marginable.
|
| We've got a folding prop. Great for sailing but forget it for serious
| motoring. In a 20 kt head wind and moderate seas, she simply will not push
| through. For simple ICW motoring, no problems but not a speedster.
|
| Changes to a Max Prop in 1990 and can not over-state the difference from the
| folding prop. We do lots of 2 week cruises in light air areas and the Max is
| great. Very responsive under power in reverse
|
| Upgraded complete electrical system with new AGM batteries and Smart Charger
| in 1996
|
| Roller furling changeout was a hassle. Still have problems with slack
| headstay. Starboard and port lazarette lid hinges (have changed both out to
| St.Stl. continous hinges), door hinges- have changed all of them.
|
| The water supply pump in a difficult place to remove or maintain, however
| original Johnson lasted 14 years. Also, water heater difficult to winterize.
| No markings on plumbing lines. A Window leak destroyed "membrane" electric
| panel, replaced with a Blue Seas panel. Someone put basic sailing
| instruments in a homemade pod above companionway, which kills access to
| cabin, and made for difficult dodger configuration. Have removed and moved
| insts. to bulkhead and rebuilt dodger. For whatever reason, boat does not
| sit on lines. Perhaps weight of 2 grp 27'S under port aft berth causes this.
| Original batt. config. not enough amp hours available with refrigeration.
| Many dings in non-skid, just a tad aggressive in my view. Leaves marks on my
| bare feet.
|
| 28 hp Volvo, is a good engine. Won't push through against a 9 knot Cape Cod
| canal current though. Motors easily at 6.5- 7 kts, at 3/4 throttle with
| folding 2 blade prop
|

| Would any of this stop you from buying this model of boat?

Would that be all about a Beneteau 35s5? Poor Booby! He got another 32-footer
disguised as a 35-footer by virtue of a cosmetic sugar-scoop transom. Sad.

CN
Capt. Rob

Would any of this stop you from buying this model of boat?

Let's see...you mean the hinges on the cockpit lockers that need to be
replaced with heavier ones? The boat I'm buying already had it done.
Or how about the wiring? Already redone to a higher spec on my boat.
But you didn't do much research at all....The 35s5 also had a problem
with aft cabin liners coming down....already professionally redone on
my boat. Some furlers had to be recalled due to tensioning
problems...already fixed by Beneteau on my boat.
Boat doesn't back up well with folding prop...I have a maxi folding and
the original fixed prop to try.
Water supply pump is easy to get to...but the water heater isn't.
Every owner seems to love the boat. Only one said "maybe" then
explained that their boat was abused when they bought it. My survey
shows "above average, bristol condition, showing a high degree of care
and pride of ownership."
I'll post a scan of the survey page on my site when we close.

Robert B
Beneteau 35s5
NY

Vito

"Bob Crantz" wrote
.... The holding tank is too small for any crew over one. Trouble is
it would be difficult to mount a new one in the space allocated. ...

Lectrosan??? Can't imagine having holding tank.

Bob Crantz

If Robbie did buy the boat, the small holding tank will keep him company, he
won't be the only one full of ****.

bwahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaa!

Amen!

"Vito" wrote in message
"Bob Crantz" wrote
.... The holding tank is too small for any crew over one. Trouble is
it would be difficult to mount a new one in the space allocated. ...

Lectrosan??? Can't imagine having holding tank.

Capt. Rob

If Robbie did buy the boat, the small holding tank will keep him
company, he
won't be the only one full of ****.

Why would I use a holding tank?

RB

Martin Baxter

"Capt. Rob" wrote:

If Robbie did buy the boat, the small holding tank will keep him
company, he
won't be the only one full of ****.

Why would I use a holding tank?

Why indeed? Unless you untie you can use the club facilities and save
the pump-out fee.

Cheers
Martin
------------ And now a word from our sponsor ----------------------
For a quality mail server, try SurgeMail, easy to install,
fast, efficient and reliable. Run a million users on a standard
PC running NT or Unix without running out of power, use the best!
---- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_surgemail.htm ----
Capt. Rob

Why indeed? Unless you untie you can use the club facilities and save
the pump-out fee.

Why would I use the club facilities when I have a perfectly fine and
legal system on board with no holding tank required?

RB

Martin Baxter

"Capt. Rob" wrote:

Why indeed? Unless you untie you can use the club facilities and save
the pump-out fee.

Why would I use the club facilities when I have a perfectly fine and
legal system on board with no holding tank required?

Sorry, I didn't realize that your colon had become that enlarged!

Cheers
Martin
RB

------------ And now a word from our sponsor ---------------------
For a secure high performance FTP using SSL/TLS encryption
upgrade to SurgeFTP
---- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_surgeftp.htm ----
Capt. Rob

Sorry, I didn't realize that your colon had become that enlarged!

I don't have a colon. Am homebound disabled.

RB