Jeff

Default Name that place quiz #2

OK, #1 may be too esoteric for those who don't cruise New England.
That's a hint - I'll give the answer tonight.

Here's one that should be easier.
http://www.sv-loki.com/where2.jpg
Captain Lon

Charlotte Harbor???

--
Captain Lon

"Rock stars! Is there anything they don't know?" Homer Simpson

"Jeff" wrote in message
OK, #1 may be too esoteric for those who don't cruise New England. That's
a hint - I'll give the answer tonight.

Here's one that should be easier.
http://www.sv-loki.com/where2.jpg

Jeff

Captain Lon wrote:
Charlotte Harbor???

Interesting guess - but wrong.
Jeff

Jeff wrote:
OK, #1 may be too esoteric for those who don't cruise New England.
That's a hint - I'll give the answer tonight.

Here's one that should be easier.
http://www.sv-loki.com/where2.jpg

I'm surprised - no one from this group guessed correctly.

Its Albemarle Sound in northern North Carolina.

The middle top is the end of the Dismal Swamp feeding into the
Pasquotank River, and passing Elizabeth City just where it opens up.
To the east is the standard ICW route, with the Coinjock Canal
showing. On the right is the Outer Banks, with Kill Devil Hill just
above where the edge hits the coast.

To the south of Albemarle Sound is the Alligator River, and beginning
of the Alligator Pungo Canal, which leads to Belhaven and the Pamlico
River.

Although this looks like a pleasant inland bay, the shallow depth (7
feet for much of the area) can create a nasty chop. Most southbound
travelers wait for a northerly wind before crossing. This is one of
my favorite parts of the ICW, with the Pasquotank River offering
gorgeous scenery.

DSK

Jeff wrote:
OK, #1 may be too esoteric for those who don't cruise New England.
That's a hint - I'll give the answer tonight.

Too short a time limit, I've been out of town.

I didn't recognize it anyway, been a long time since I was there. The
Woods Hole current occasionally pulls the channels markers under water
on their mooring chains... it's a challenging place.

Here's one that should be easier.
http://www.sv-loki.com/where2.jpg

That one's really easy... Albemarle Sound, part of Currituck Sound, and
the Chowan, Alligator, Pasquotank, Scuppernong, & North Rivers. Also a
tiny bit of the Roanoke River on the left. You can see the ICW cuts at
the center bottom (the Alligator-Pungo canal) and mid-right upper
(Coinjock cut); the Dismal Swamp Canal is slightly out of the frame at
the center top.

I hope nobody tries to print this out and use it for navigating, based
on the above info.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

DSK

Scotty wrote:
NC, Outer Banks, Kitty Hawk area. Sailed there.

Run aground too, I bet.

The water in Currituck Sound is very shallow. I've had sandwiches with
the peanut butter spread thicker. BTW did you stop at Manteo? That's a
pretty cool place (when not jam packed with tourists).

DSK

Scotty

On a Hobie 14?

''Run aground too, I bet. ''

DSK

''Run aground too, I bet. ''

Scotty wrote:
On a Hobie 14?

You didn't?

When I say shallow, I mean *shallow*. A lot of Currituck Sound, you
could walk across it and not get your socks wet.

DSK

Scotty

"DSK" wrote in message
. ..
''Run aground too, I bet. ''

Scotty wrote:
On a Hobie 14?

You didn't?

No, but I did flip over.

Scotty

Name that place quiz #5 Jeff Cruising 8 April 19th 05 09:47 PM
Name that place quiz #4 Jeff Cruising 5 April 16th 05 07:18 PM
Name that place quiz #3 Jeff Cruising 5 April 15th 05 04:55 AM
Name that place quiz #1 Jeff ASA 9 April 13th 05 01:23 PM
Name that place quiz #2 Jeff Cruising 7 April 13th 05 05:40 AM