Jeff

Default Name that place quiz #4

OK, here's another. This pic includes a place where my cat Arlo
jumped overboard, at great risk.

http://www.sv-loki.com/where4.jpg
Jeff

Jeff wrote:
OK, here's another. This pic includes a place where my cat Arlo jumped
overboard, at great risk.

http://www.sv-loki.com/where4.jpg

What? No takers on this one? Perhaps a few hints - Its a bit off
the beaten path, but just in the last day there were discussions here
about places within a long day's sail. Although there is much
interesting flora and fauna there, the only inhabited spot in the pic
is named for an animal that doesn't live there.
Rosalie B.

Jeff wrote:

Jeff wrote:
OK, here's another. This pic includes a place where my cat Arlo jumped
overboard, at great risk.

http://www.sv-loki.com/where4.jpg

What? No takers on this one? Perhaps a few hints - Its a bit off
the beaten path, but just in the last day there were discussions here
about places within a long day's sail. Although there is much
interesting flora and fauna there, the only inhabited spot in the pic
is named for an animal that doesn't live there.

Well I don't recognize it but there's a lot of those spots that are
named for animals that don't life there - Flamingo, Shark Valley, and
Alligator National Wildlife Refuge
grandma Rosalie
Jeff

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
Jeff wrote:

Jeff wrote:
OK, here's another. This pic includes a place where my cat Arlo jumped
overboard, at great risk.

http://www.sv-loki.com/where4.jpg

What? No takers on this one? Perhaps a few hints - Its a bit off
the beaten path, but just in the last day there were discussions here
about places within a long day's sail. Although there is much
interesting flora and fauna there, the only inhabited spot in the pic
is named for an animal that doesn't live there.

Well I don't recognize it but there's a lot of those spots that are
named for animals that don't life there - Flamingo, Shark Valley, and
Alligator National Wildlife Refuge
grandma Rosalie

You should look a little closer, then. I have a hunch you've been there.

BTW, there are alligators in the Alligator National Wildlife Refuge.

Jeff

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
http://www.sv-loki.com/where4.jpg

Well I don't recognize it but there's a lot of those spots that are
named for animals that don't life there - Flamingo, Shark Valley, and
Alligator National Wildlife Refuge

You were closer than you think, Rosalie. This is the southern tip of
Florida, the southernmost point on the mainland US. On the west side
is Cape Sable - the East Cape and the Middle Cape are visible, the NW
Cape just got clipped.

About 10 mile east of East Cape is Flamingo Outpost, part of
Everglades National Park. There is a small marina there, a busy
launch ramp, a small grocery store, a motel, lots of alligators and
crocodiles. Its one of the few places where crocs and gators coexist,
and we saw both within 100 yards of our slip, where Arlo went for a swim.

Florida Bay is to the south, but the eastern Bay is too shallow for
most craft. You have to go down roughly to Marathon and then turn
north. (Shallow draft boats can cut the corner a bit.) If you enjoy
wildlife, and especially birds, Flamingo is a worthwhile stop. Just
make sure you do it before mosquito season, about April.

North of Cape Sable is the Shark River and Ten Thousand Island area,
also interesting stops on the way to Marco, Naples and the rest of the
West Coast.

Rosalie B.

Jeff wrote:
"Rosalie B." wrote in message
http://www.sv-loki.com/where4.jpg

Well I don't recognize it but there's a lot of those spots that are
named for animals that don't life there - Flamingo, Shark Valley, and
Alligator National Wildlife Refuge

You were closer than you think, Rosalie. This is the southern tip of
Florida, the southernmost point on the mainland US. On the west side
is Cape Sable - the East Cape and the Middle Cape are visible, the NW
Cape just got clipped.

That was a kind of non-guess guess, but I have never been there by
boat and not to that particular area, so I've never looked at those
charts. It also looked a bit like the Bahamas to me.

About 10 mile east of East Cape is Flamingo Outpost, part of
Everglades National Park. There is a small marina there, a busy
launch ramp, a small grocery store, a motel, lots of alligators and
crocodiles. Its one of the few places where crocs and gators coexist,
and we saw both within 100 yards of our slip, where Arlo went for a swim.

We have never been in Florida Bay by boat except up by Miami. I took
a trip there this last winter by car
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/602d8/#TL and we stayed in
Flamingo for a couple of days. I did see those crocodiles
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tp/10ca5a/

Florida Bay is to the south, but the eastern Bay is too shallow for
most craft. You have to go down roughly to Marathon and then turn
north. (Shallow draft boats can cut the corner a bit.) If you enjoy
wildlife, and especially birds, Flamingo is a worthwhile stop. Just
make sure you do it before mosquito season, about April.

North of Cape Sable is the Shark River and Ten Thousand Island area,
also interesting stops on the way to Marco, Naples and the rest of the
West Coast.

We also visited Shark River
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/6265f/#TL and then went over to
Ft. Myers on a whirlwind trip on the way home.

grandma Rosalie

Name that place quiz #3 Jeff Cruising 5 April 15th 05 04:55 AM
Name that place quiz #2 Jeff Cruising 7 April 13th 05 05:40 AM
Try this quiz. Capt. Neal® ASA 0 November 27th 04 08:04 PM
A Commodores Meanderings: Part 2 RGrew176 General 0 August 3rd 04 03:03 AM
how are tanks held in place santacruz Boat Building 2 May 16th 04 06:01 PM